Confederate NC Star canteen

iron bender

I'm VERY pleased to add this canteen to my collection. Unless I'm missing some updated info, these are identified as a North Carolina contract canteen. Sylvia/Odonnel and Robert Jones have these labeled as Confederate 'North Carolina' tinned canteens. Please note the sheet metal rolled and formed spout. This feature sticks out compared to the typical cast necks. I wonder if the sling was originally adjustable as it has a roller buckle still present. Other than the stamped star feature in the body and the spout, it is very similar to the standard 1858 canteen. Thanks for looking!

IMG_6959.jpg

IMG_6961.jpg

IMG_6962.jpg

IMG_6963.jpg

IMG_6964.jpg

manifestdestiny

Really awesome canteen. North Carolina certainly seemed to live high on the hog compared to most of the other Southern States during the Civil War. Their quartermaster system was certainly better and left for intact for longer than most.

I agree that the roller buckle looks original to the piece although I can't figure out why it wasn't discarded once the strap came apart (if it were a wartime adaptation).

USCapturephotos

I have always enjoyed Civil War canteens and love images of Civil War soldiers posing with them. The O'Donnell book you referenced is a classic. Mike just passed away late last year sadly and was a legend.

Paul

M24 Chaffee

Congratulations on being able to add that great looking canteen to your collection! 

Frank

albatrosdva
On 5/27/2023 at 6:56 PM, manifestdestiny said:

Really awesome canteen. North Carolina certainly seemed to live high on the hog compared to most of the other Southern States during the Civil War. Their quartermaster system was certainly better and left for intact for longer than most.

I agree that the roller buckle looks original to the piece although I can't figure out why it wasn't discarded once the strap came apart (if it were a wartime adaptation).

Zeb Vance was in the infantry when he was elected governor. He knew well what it was like to go without and made sure that the North Carolina troops were taken care of. 

albatrosdva
On 5/30/2023 at 6:33 PM, 268th C.A. said:

Very true NC had supplies and shoes that the Army of Northern VA desperately needed, and where not shared. 

They had spare uniforms as well. These were offered to be shared but each state was supposed to supply their troops and it was not shared. My understanding was that it was not allowed but that's an old memory without knowledge of a source.