Beret found in box of Vietnam veterans items. Looking to identify it??

rrobertscv

rrobertscv

This was in a box of items I picked up this weekend. The box had several small items, like a toothbrush, a front sight and an automatic pistol magazine etc. Hoping someone can help me identify the patch on this beret. I figure with the Vietnam label it is something the veteran brought back home with him. Thanks for any help.

IMG_4865.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

The bullion beret badge is for the "Cao Dai" a private army of their Cao Dai religious sect based in Tay Ninh City

Here one, Sold a while back.

Description of Item says 

Vietnamese Army Beret for Officer early period CAO/DAI; made of whip cord wool an has quite a few moth holes in it; the badge is gold bullion and in good condition; the original sweat shied is there with the makers label (PHUOC - HUNG / Saigon); size is 60; the sweat band is like new; if it was not for the mothing it would look like it was unissued.

beretuu.jpg

beret.PNG

berre.jpg

Yeah if you google CAO/DAI Beret you get a lot of images, some Berets in Black. But who actually wore these Berets right, these are 1960s-70s ARVN Berets.

Maybe after Diem was gone the former members now serving in the ARVN were allowed to wear this new Type Beret Badge???

Because (From a LA Times article in 1997)

The Hoa Hao fielded an army of 12,000 and the Cao Dai army numbered 20,000 until both were absorbed into the South Vietnamese military.

• 2 weeks later...

The Beret badge as I understand it is an early version of the ARVN Army and had been mislabeled the Cao Dai badge. More info surfaced on this a few years ago.  There is an extensive topic over on WAF as well I ran across. 

https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forum/ken-jasper-international-militaria-forums/indo-china-wars-1945-1975/396818-the-cao-dai-debate?t=397097&highlight=cao+dai&fbclid=IwAR1hAAShTUNfQXIuWmDDp6JnT0jUxZtp11g47ZK0t1ucG72ug7lQMoxVb4o

• 2 months later...
manayunkman
On 5/8/2023 at 3:29 PM, rrobertscv said:

This was in a box of items I picked up this weekend. The box had several small items, like a toothbrush, a front sight and an automatic pistol magazine etc. Hoping someone can help me identify the patch on this beret. I figure with the Vietnam label it is something the veteran brought back home with him. Thanks for any help.

IMG_4865.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

Your mailbox is full