Greetings from Louisiana, US!

Hanner_Tenry

Hi all!

I’m new to the site, and I’m already enjoying it so far!

I’ve been a very casual and slow collector for ≈sixteen years now, but I’ve been re-interested in the past eight months. I’m mostly interested in WWII, but also a little of The Korean War and The Vietnam War.

I’m particularly interested in the members of my family that served, and the units that they served with.

Here’s a little background into my recent family’s military-related service:

My father served in the US Navy around 1985 on CV-66, and his brother served in the US National Guard around 1990 in the 711th Support Battalion.

Their father Ron served in the US Navy as a Cryptologic Technician from the 1950s to the 1980s, in thirteen different stations across six different countries.

His father Charles served in the US Navy during WWII, stationed in Hawaii. Ron’s mother Odell worked in the Convair aircraft factory in San Diego, CA, where B-24s and PBY Catalinas were built.

Charles’ brother Eugene served in the US Army with the 32nd Armored Regiment of the 3rd Armored Division, as was KIA in August of 1944 after eight weeks of combat in Normandy.

My grandmother’s uncle Don served in Washington DC around 1940, and later served in the US Navy during WWII on an aircraft carrier as a Machinist’s Mate.

My grandmother’s grandmother’s brother Greenberry served in the US Army from the 1920s to the 1950s, and was in the pacific theater of WWII and The Korean War in the Quartermaster Corps.

My collection is small, but I’m happy and proud of it! I’ve attached a picture of the things that can fit onto a shelf.

If anyone has any questions, I’d love to answer them! Otherwise, I’ll be on the forums!

-Tanner

C162B125-5596-4CAD-B9C3-AACCD8840DE9.jpeg

You've reason to be proud of your family's service. Welcome and have a great time here with those who share your collecting interests.   I enjoyed my two years living in New Orleans in the late 70s.

1 hour ago, Hanner_Tenry said:

Charles’ brother Eugene served in the US Army with the 32nd Armored Regiment of the 3rd Armored Division, as was KIA in August of 1944 after eight weeks of combat in Normandy.

Welcome aboard!

Those eight weeks were tough ones for the 32nd AR, going through the hedgerows of St Lo, making their way through the Manche area, and finally making the last push to close the Falaise gap. German threw all they had against the 3rd Armored Division at Fromentel, which is where your relative was KIA. Multiple Panzer divisions were engaged along with both regular army and SS infantry divisions, and even some German airborne units were reported in the area. Though Fromentel is just a small hamlet, not even a town per se, the combat there to maintain control of the crossroad and allow retreating German forces to withdraw from Operation Luttich were intense and costly for the 32nd AR and 36th AIR.    

Alex,

Absolutely! Thank you for the recognition of Eugene and the 32’s struggles.

I’ve been researching a lot in the past months about him and the 32AR; it’s my biggest goal.

I do think that Fromentel is where he was killed, based on where the group was at the time.

Eugene’s nephew remembers hearing about him being killed by a sniper.

I got in contact with one of the two other F company members who were KIA on that day (8/11/44), and they said that their relative was killed by a bullet, which may add some confirmation to what Eugene’s nephew remembered.

The sad thing about that is, I found this photo of a tank in Fromentel, and I wonder if it’s their tank. It looks like it may have gotten stuck, or just abandoned. Which might line up with them being shot by bullets, and not their tank being hit.

The thing that breaks my heart is that there’s a helmet on the ground in front of it.

There were apparently 13 US tanks destroyed/damaged in Fromentel; so there may be a 1:13 chance this is my relative’s tank..

-Tanner

7A4E1A5C-4761-4A1B-8A21-D5795427C982.jpeg

My fathers family in the Netherlands was liberated because of the sacrifices made by your family.

As a direct result I would not be here if that sacrifice had not been made.

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to your participation.

Peter

Peter,

I don’t think any of my family members were in The Netherlands during WWII, but I do think they indirectly helped!

Thank you for the kind wishes, and words.

Zie je!

-Tanner

No one would have ever made it to the Netherlands.

My dad 14, was in the 101st drop zone September 1944 and the remainder of the family were liberated by Canadians.

The liberation began in France.