Was the WW2 US Navy N-3 hbt cap used by pilots/aircrew?

Flightpath

Hi,

years ago I had a small photo of a pilot sitting in the cockpit of an F4F Wildcat, he was wearing what looked like a USN N-3 cap with a small set of USN wings (overseas cap size) on the front.

Just wondering if anyone has photos of these N-3 caps being used by pilots and aircrew?

Cheers, John

I have seen pics of the N-3 with various insignia on them...try googling USN patrol bomber aircrew photos  ...there are a lot of pics to scroll through with various headgear

Thanks, I´ve been looking but can´t find a decent photo, there used to be a fairly common photo of a Catalina pilot in the cockpit (taken looking up from below the left shoulder) wearing what looked like an N-3. No hurry I guess.

Sure! You have to ask on our FB group. For sure there is more NAVY pilots enthusiasts than here:) 

Here you go - mixed B-1 and N-3 caps

image.png.1c6917f42c100e4ee73de629d9d3fbed.png 

N-3 on the left?

image.png.4cce2fe25be540798c6d84a11bbcbb2e.png

VD-1 squadron and four N-3 caps?

image.png.12499a0676bf50e52d6e7c6825fc0b30.png

Mixed - I guess two of them are N-3. Very characteristic - HBT material with greenish material under the bill

image.png.0abd59591d8ba55af17a7e73266dd658.png

image.png.c41ba5676c9a1adf3b845c29034eb5b2.png

USMC PBJ crew

image.png.7b28d7b6a914717a76d6b668ca93d806.png

image.png.4856028ac5c59bfd37800c53fc538fde.png

Cheers,

Jerry

Thanks for the great Jerry, in the first photo the gunner on the left has an aerial gunner's patch on his cap and a Gydeway compass hanging around his neck.

Shows that it wasn't just pilot's that carried the compass.

In the 3rd photo it looks like two rank insignia and a CPO cap badge on N-3 caps.

57 minutes ago, Flightpath said:

Thanks for the great Jerry, in the first photo the gunner on the left has an aerial gunner's patch on his cap and a Gydeway compass hanging around his neck.

Shows that it wasn't just pilot's that carried the compass.

In the 3rd photo it looks like two rank insignia and a CPO cap badge on N-3 caps.

Yes sure. Compass was a standard survival item for all kind of aviation personel: pilot and aircrew. 

I love the b-1 cap and aircrew patch on it. Dream example!

Good eye about bagdes on the 3rd photo.

Take care,

Jerry

• 4 months later...

I found a nice condition wartime NAF headset, looks nice with my N-3 cap & Officer's badge...

Screenshot_20221225-124816.jpg

Perfect look John! 

I hope you checked a metal plate around the cord and there is N288 contract - not N383?

Thanks for photo.

Jerry

Can't read the tag around the cord but the "PATTENT APPL.D FOR" is on the speakers. Was told this shows WW2 manufactured.

4 hours ago, Flightpath said:

Can't read the tag around the cord but the "PATTENT APPL.D FOR" is on the speakers. Was told this shows WW2 manufactured.

For the bad luck this type of headset was made also post war. The best option before purshase is check the metal plate around the cord - n288 vs 383. They are identical only contract is different WW2 vs Post war.

Jerry

52 minutes ago, jerry_k said:

For the bad luck this type of headset was made also post war. The best option before purshase is check the metal plate around the cord - n288 vs 383. They are identical only contract is different WW2 vs Post war.

Jerry

Paul Faulkner told me that If it´s marked `patent applied for´ these are WW2 made.

With good lighting and a loupe looking at the metal tag I can make out: `HEADSET` and `CQF´ then (right where the crimp is) `NO als M356´.

Maybe they are very early before a contract was marked on them?

20230307_211208.jpg

pararaftanr2

Yes, he did tell you that, but it applies only to the earphones that are marked "patent applied for", not for the entire headset assembly. Jerry is also correct about different contract numbers for the headband assembly, some being WW2 and some post-war, but not all WW2 examples have contracts starting with "N-288". The tag in your photo just now has a contract number of NOa(s)-1356, which is also from WW2. Looks like you are good to go with earphones and headset both being of WW2 vintage. Well done.

21 minutes ago, jerry_k said:

Yes, definetly there is NoA(s) which is also WW2, yeah!

Oh: NOa(s)-1356... now I see it! :)