PRU-36/P visor question

VA-75 Puncher

VA-75 Puncher

...doing a refurb on a rough shape APH-6B rams horn helmet,and so far its going well...after cleaning the grime and glue from tape,there are some chipped paint areas but the partina is so nice I'm thinking of leaving as is for that "been there" look,but I will be repainting the visor housing as VA-75...my main question though is,does anyone know if a PRU-36/P visor will work as an "outer" visor for a medium size (not large) rams horn APH-6b helmet?...yes I realize I'd have to add the arm to it....have the inner clear one-need the outer dark outer one,and having no luck forever☹️.....also,what adhesive is used for attaching the black beading on the helmet edges....its separating in a few spots....    thank you for any help and info🙂

1 hour ago, VA-75 Puncher said:

...doing a refurb on a rough shape APH-6B rams horn helmet,and so far its going well...after cleaning the grime and glue from tape,there are some chipped paint areas but the partina is so nice I'm thinking of leaving as is for that "been there" look,but I will be repainting the visor housing as VA-75...my main question though is,does anyone know if a PRU-36/P visor will work as an "outer" visor for a medium size (not large) rams horn APH-6b helmet?...yes I realize I'd have to add the arm to it....have the inner clear one-need the outer dark outer one,and having no luck forever☹️.....also,what adhesive is used for attaching the black beading on the helmet edges....its separating in a few spots....    thank you for any help and info🙂

The PRU-36 visor would need alot of modification and not sure it would work out in the end.  Yes to go to rams horn would need the extension arm added but you would also have to remove the side actuating lever/button off the PRU visor too.  Id just hold out and wait til you find the correct visor for a medium rams horn.  Keep looking on ebay or try flighthelmet   Will help to know the PN for the correct visor too since some people selling thiings have no clue what helmets things go to.

For black (or white HGU) beading, I use 3m Auto Super Trim Adhesive 08090 in the large (and costly) spray can at Auto Zone

It's basically the same material (in liquid form) as the yellow trim adhesive most are familiar with in a tube.

My last can was around 35 bucks! Best because it paints on very easily and bonds like a weld if done right.

I dry install the edge beading (if brand new) first and use a pencil to lightly trace the edge for reference and neatness.

If your just re attaching old edge beading or installing a brand new one, here's how I've been doing it for years.

Spray a desired amount of adhesive into a disposable cup and then using an artist's paint brush',.. brush the glue onto the shell keeping it inside the pencil mark at least on the outside.

Afterwards, paint the inside of the rubber bead as you go and use patience as the two painted parts have to have some allowed dry time (a minute should work fine) 

because if both sides aren't dry, you won't get a solid adhesion of bead to helmet. The glue grips on contact but set it aside when your done and check, and re check the tight curves at the brow to be sure the rubber isn't trying to pull away from the shell. If you got good coverage with the glue, it should stay put. You can use tape if you want to but be careful as your peeling it off because you might pull the rubber up as you go. Note: If your only spot gluing, you obviously won't need to dry fit or use a pencil

After you've done a few, you'll be able to install the edge beading in your sleep. ;-)

You can use Acetone to clean up spots on the rubber but be very careful not to get it on the paint or 3m tape on your helmet 

Oh yeah!! and wear eye protection  while/if embarking upon this task, and Acetone and 3M spray adhesive

are quite - very flamable!  Plan your work, work your plan!     Just sayin!

I just cut this one

(PRU) to show the simple mod.

I still have to drill the visor for the arm, which I salvaged from 

a broken Sierra visor.

Im not advocating this as the go to 'fix' for a missing visor from a T.O.'d sub assy

but just passing on what I learned from curiosity over the years.

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

Id just hold out and wait til you find the correct visor for a medium rams horn.  Keep looking on ebay or try flighthelmet   Will help to know the PN for the correct visor too since some people selling thiings have no clue what helmets things go to.

I do agree with Mowhawk,.. correct is better!

VA-75 Puncher
On 8/14/2022 at 10:18 PM, AMT500E said:

Id just hold out and wait til you find the correct visor for a medium rams horn.  Keep looking on ebay or try flighthelmet   Will help to know the PN for the correct visor too since some people selling thiings have no clue what helmets things go to.

I do agree with Mowhawk,.. correct is better!

....agreed-correct better,but in the meantime until I find one(hopefully before I assume room temperature) I wanted something to stand in,so I got one and trimmed it.....now trying to determine WHERE to drill the hole to add the arm....since its a tad different I need to find correct location where to place the grommet so its a smooth sliding movement....any suggestions?

VA-75 Puncher
On 8/14/2022 at 8:18 PM, 72psb said:

I would use E-6000. Clamp (wooden spring loaded close pins would work) or tape for 24hrs for full cure. It is clear.

....it worked great!

VA-75 Puncher
On 8/14/2022 at 9:25 PM, AMT500E said:

For black (or white HGU) beading, I use 3m Auto Super Trim Adhesive 08090 in the large (and costly) spray can at Auto Zone

It's basically the same material (in liquid form) as the yellow trim adhesive most are familiar with in a tube.

My last can was around 35 bucks! Best because it paints on very easily and bonds like a weld if done right.

I dry install the edge beading (if brand new) first and use a pencil to lightly trace the edge for reference and neatness.

If your just re attaching old edge beading or installing a brand new one, here's how I've been doing it for years.

Spray a desired amount of adhesive into a disposable cup and then using an artist's paint brush',.. brush the glue onto the shell keeping it inside the pencil mark at least on the outside.

Afterwards, paint the inside of the rubber bead as you go and use patience as the two painted parts have to have some allowed dry time (a minute should work fine) 

because if both sides aren't dry, you won't get a solid adhesion of bead to helmet. The glue grips on contact but set it aside when your done and check, and re check the tight curves at the brow to be sure the rubber isn't trying to pull away from the shell. If you got good coverage with the glue, it should stay put. You can use tape if you want to but be careful as your peeling it off because you might pull the rubber up as you go. Note: If your only spot gluing, you obviously won't need to dry fit or use a pencil

After you've done a few, you'll be able to install the edge beading in your sleep. ;-)

You can use Acetone to clean up spots on the rubber but be very careful not to get it on the paint or 3m tape on your helmet 

Oh yeah!! and wear eye protection  while/if embarking upon this task, and Acetone and 3M spray adhesive

are quite - very flamable!  Plan your work, work your plan!     Just sayin!

....used your suggestions for procedure,and it came out great....thanks🙂

VA-75 Puncher

....anyone have source for ear seals for this helmet?....no luck with flighthelmet-the ones I got from there didnt fit,overall right size but the backs do not fit slipping over the cup edges.....all thats on ebay is gentex that dont seem they will fit....look similiar in the rear to the flighthelmet ones

....agreed-correct better,but in the meantime until I find one(hopefully before I assume room temperature) I wanted something to stand in,so I got one and trimmed it.....now trying to determine WHERE to drill the hole to add the arm....since its a tad different I need to find correct location where to place the grommet so its a smooth sliding movement....any suggestions?

What arm are you using?

Do you have the Sierra arm or Gentex (3 piece housing) arm?

VA-75 Puncher
57 minutes ago, hink441 said:

Hey Puncher is that your helmet project on the A-6 Facebook page?? If so, you have done a really nice job. 👍👍

Chris

....yes sir....just havent gotten around to posting it here...stay tuned😉

VA-75 Puncher
3 hours ago, AMT500E said:

What arm are you using?

Do you have the Sierra arm or Gentex (3 piece housing) arm?

....dont know what kind of arm,but it was from a gentex.....and after much cussing and trial and error,I crossed my fingers,drilled the hole,added a grommet,and I did manage to get it in and work-a little stiff but I should probably lube it a tad with something since its so dry.....details in a forthcoming post🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 10:26 PM, VA-75 Puncher said:

....anyone have source for ear seals for this helmet?....no luck with flighthelmet-the ones I got from there didnt fit,overall right size but the backs do not fit slipping over the cup edges.....all thats on ebay is gentex that dont seem they will fit....look similiar in the rear to the flighthelmet ones

That's because the earseals were glued on in the APH-5 and APH-6 not slip on. That is one of the biggest problems with the APH series helmets. You may want to replace the whole assembly. And the slip on earseals are all pretty much Gentex or other makers who subcontracted to Gentex.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:26 PM, VA-75 Puncher said:

Did you try here?  Not sure if they are the type but I know its APH-6 related.

https://www.flighthelmet.com/product/MSHP-0757.html

Indeed Mohawk, these leather-cushioned earcups are the ones that were mounted on early 60's APH-6s (without back letter) and APH-6A and B. They were similar to the APH5's, and as Mikeyem stated, the leather cushions were glued on the earcups (which are very often rotten when one finds a vintage APH-5 or -6).

So alas, as you found out, Puncher, these early earcups can't be fitted with slip-on ear seals (those ones pair with early 70's APH-6C and -6D with plastic earcups) : for an APH-6, -6A or -6B you have to buy a whole new earcup set. As far as I can tell, I got one similar set from E*ay for an APH-5 restoration project, and they're the real deal.

...Or you can also consider buying the later plastic earcups to "upgrade" your APH-6B, that was a very frequent retrofit of these early shells during the 70's.

VA-75 Puncher

...well now thats confusing...when I received the helmet,I knew it was a Sierra by the sticker in the bottom rear....it had only one ear seal on-and THAT one was a nice snug slip on marked Sierra....😳.....see pics attached

.....this is for display purposes,so I'm considering just about anything as long as it wont leave the thing 'nekkid'...😄

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

51 minutes ago, VA-75 Puncher said:

...well now thats confusing...when I received the helmet,I knew it was a Sierra by the sticker in the bottom rear....it had only one ear seal on-and THAT one was a nice snug slip on marked Sierra....😳.....see pics attached

.....this is for display purposes,so I'm considering just about anything as long as it wont leave the thing 'nekkid'...😄

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Yeah I mean those look like the standard size ear seal for any flight helmet today for USN and USAF.  I know the ear seals used on regular stand alone non helmet type headsets are smaller so maybe some of the black ones you tried were that type.  Took this for a reference shot in another discussion in the past.  The left is standard size but can see it has the lil bump which is more common on helicopter helmets but they are the same size as the smooth ones on USAF and USN HGU flight helmets.  The smaller one is for a H-157 type headset or say a David Clark headset etc.

Ear Seals.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2022 at 8:01 PM, mohawkALSE said:

Yeah I mean those look like the standard size ear seal for any flight helmet today for USN and USAF.  I know the ear seals used on regular stand alone non helmet type headsets are smaller so maybe some of the black ones you tried were that type.  Took this for a reference shot in another discussion in the past.  The left is standard size but can see it has the lil bump which is more common on helicopter helmets but they are the same size as the smooth ones on USAF and USN HGU flight helmets.  The smaller one is for a H-157 type headset or say a David Clark headset etc.

Ear Seals.jpg

Takes quite a bit of work to get those things onto earcups but once you do them a few times it gets easier. After 3 helmets those darn things got easier to install. LOL