Blackinton (V.H. Blackinton) Co of Attleboro, MA: examples and patterns

that baby went for 601.00. no--- it wasn't me.

I thought it was a very nice badge. A bit pricey yes but the first one I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

So Costa, how much was your bid? ^_^

V.H. Blackinton produced in limited numbers, both full size and shirt size badges for Service Pilot, Liaison Pilot & Glider Pilot ratings. They certainly are "few and far between" in the wing collecting world!

Russ

• 3 months later...

I always had an affinity for the 1920's Blackinton wings and finally found one.

By the way, did ANY of you guys take a while to get the "G" out of Blackin-"G"-ton when you wrote it?? :rolleyes: ahem, moving on....

Below is a pic of the patinated and two of the cleaned wing; both have an aethestic and historical appreciation to be respected and enjoyed. Some enjoy seeing the wings as they were found after the many years they have travelled and some, like me, enjoy seeing the wing well cleaned as many pilots would have often tried to keep their insignia in looking sharp and responsibile. After trying both ways, I am mostly a cleaner.

The Brass with Silver Plating structure is amazing to me with the light weight and extreme detail. The wing looks and feels deceptively delicate but it is very sturdy and solid. The intricate detail on this wing was amazing before I cleaned it, but afterward, I was SHOCKED. The difference was startling. The dull misty gray of the patinated wing gave way to one of the most beautiful wings I have ever seen in the quality of the silver plating and the design's attention to detail became even more pronounced. The Brass took on the detail in great sharpness on a tiny scale in a feathery, delicate essence when considering the the light frame upon which the design was stamped. This wing is a microcosm of orinthological beauty which the silver takes to reflective heights to catch my eye every time I look at the display of wings....When looked at from about two feet away with a light shedding downward upon it, the tiny edifices of the fletching create a million tiny shadows to give the glorious feathering effect of the Blackinton excellence.... I Pray you gentlemen enjoy these pics and thank you for taking the time to look...Blessings to you all and Good Day.....

post-76516-0-28446700-1359564512.jpg

post-76516-0-27350900-1359564538.jpg

post-76516-0-48879000-1359564633.jpg

Hello Mntman,

You've posted images of a truely detailed and beautiful wing! Thank you for sharing. I believe Blackinton began producing this Pilot badge pattern in 1941. The Kinney Company designed and produced a very similarly detailed Pilot wing in the 1920's. Kinney Company Pilot wings were produced in sterling or silver washed brass variations.

Kinney Company also made their wings with or without their unique hallmark. On occasion, some collectors have purchased an unmarked Kinney Company wing believing they were made by Blackinton. Both are highly collectible, but produced years apart.

Russ

Beautiful wings!

You got to admit, Blackinton put out a great product. I seen a set on eBay last year that I simply feel in love with but alas, it reached a point in price that I did not want to follow. Still, it inspired me to start collecting wings after avoiding them for so many years.

Here's that one I mention and the patina the silver has taken on reminds me of the coloration often seen in Morgan silver dollars, with the red, green and pale blue hues. Beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing! One day..maybe.

Tim

post-50776-0-63679000-1359571499_thumb.jpg

Hello Mntman,

You've posted images of a truely detailed and beautiful wing! Thank you for sharing. I believe Blackinton began producing this Pilot badge pattern in 1941. The Kinney Company designed and produced a very similarly detailed Pilot wing in the 1920's. Kinney Company Pilot wings were produced in sterling or silver washed brass variations.

Kinney Company also made their wings with or without their unique hallmark. On occasion, some collectors have purchased an unmarked Kinney Company wing believing they were made by Blackinton. Both are highly collectible, but produced years apart.

Russ

GREAT INFO RUSS!! I thought these were Blackinton all the way from my limited knowledge. Please accept my thanks for sharing something that has thrown a great light of knowledge on a misconception I have seen many ascribe to from not knowing what you have shared! Also Russ, was my use of the word "plating" a misnomer regarding the SPECIFIC process used to coat the badge? My Appreciation, My Fellow Collector!

Mel

Beautiful wings!

You got to admit, Blackinton put out a great product. I seen a set on eBay last year that I simply feel in love with but alas, it reached a point in price that I did not want to follow. Still, it inspired me to start collecting wings after avoiding them for so many years.

Here's that one I mention and the patina the silver has taken on reminds me of the coloration often seen in Morgan silver dollars, with the red, green and pale blue hues. Beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing! One day..maybe.

Tim

Tim, I looked for an entire year DAILY for these wings and could not find what I NOW KNOW AS KINNEY Wings from the 20's! I dabbled in numismatism for a time as well Tim and YES, the patina on the shield and rear of the wing especially, is a dead ringer for the smoother surfaces on the Morgan. Keep looking Tim, there is a 2 inch Blackinton Gov Issue "Sterling" marked Command pilot on Military Aviation Artifacts you might want to check out Buddy....It would be a GREAT start! The Sterling in the center usually indicates a Blackinton issue as Blackinton stamped the 2nd model Lux's on the reverse Dexter (Right) side of the wing in an arch shape of which their is a 3 inch Lux Command example above the Blackinton on the same site. Blessings Tim in your endeavor to preserve history's little Personal Monuments which mean so much.....

Mel

Let me clean up my poorly worded statement with an example:

The top wing in this image was produced by Kinney Company in the 1920's. And the bottom wing is a 1940's Blackinton produced wing, like the ones Mel and Tim posted.

IMG_3510_crop.jpg

Mel,

Thanks and my best wishes to you as well. One day I hope to have a set of these but, right now, will try to acquire a complete Bell set (more affordable for me). Like you, I appreciate a nice clean wing, as I did for my "bright white" Morgans. It took me time to appreciate the toning that silver can take on over many years and as many have reminded me in the coin world, I have "advanced" into collecting toners!

All the best,

Tim

Dude: Just a hint from a really old collector. Never clean old insignia of any kind. Brilliantly shiny insignia is reserved for Guard Mount and the Parade Field. Collectors want to see that old patina on insignia that can only come with age. They are nice Hard to find wings! Congratulations. Danny

Here are photos of the back and other angles to show the angular stamping of the wing I had originally posted for Reference...It is a very thin Silver Washed Brass with a C-Clasp Catch...Sorry I could not fit these in the first one. These are before (back shot from the C-Clasp side) and after cleaning shots (the rest)...

post-76516-0-52483300-1359575264.jpg

post-76516-0-77281200-1359575297.jpg

post-76516-0-09117200-1359575340.jpg

post-76516-0-76841600-1359575483.jpg

Let me clean up my poorly worded statement with an example:

The top wing in this image was produced by Kinney Company in the 1920's. And the bottom wing is a 1940's Blackinton produced wing, like the ones Mel and Tim posted.

GOT IT Russ. Thanks...

• 4 months later...

In the interests of learning here....

I've been waiting for an item to end on everybody's favorite auction site, so I could ask some questions and not interfer with the potential sale here. I was not bidding btw.

Understanding Blackinton had some variations and that they are both heavily copied and have individuals utilizing original dies to make items for sale, I wanted to ask what others thought of this particular wing.

If the seller is a member here and wants the images pulled, please let me or a moderator know. No offense meant, just trying to learn more on these.

Tim

post-50776-0-67742600-1370388394.jpg