Bendix 1943 Engine Order Telegraph

This followed me home the other day. I have wanted one of these for years but they can be quite expensive. I got this one for a reasonable price. 

Going to clean her up and get some glass and some bells installed. I will leave her in the Navy gray color. 

I wonder what kind of Ship used this type of Telegraph in 1943. 

4C203C31-B3CB-4E76-A6C6-0FAA2B826036.jpeg

230DBE4D-8E30-4F8B-A9D4-282136A1571F.jpeg

A0306A76-9204-44C6-9060-90DD82D3D030.jpeg

5D9868DE-F395-41E0-AA6C-EB2E0FA3780A.jpeg

2C6B0E6F-C20F-441D-8FA0-BA5968A2B53E.jpeg

Chris, that is really cool!  Is that a date on the bottom, I can’t quite make it out.  Are there any brass parts that are currently painted?

Make sure to post pics as you progress.

Thank you Linda!

The date is on the data plate. The data plate is on the stand midway up. 

The whole thing is brass and is very heavy. I could strip it down and really polish it up to a high gloss, but I like the painted look. 

Don’t know where I can find the two bells that are missing. I will have to get some glass for both indicators. Another project😂😂

Don’t you just love projects!

One good thing about your telegraph is that it is one of the more common brand names and hopefully you can find parts. I think they were located in Brooklyn, NY and probably supplied the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

Do you have any photos of the bells or parts you might need?  I know two people that always seem to have oddball nautical stuff, I can check.

Any idea of what type of telegraphs were used on the Liberty ships?

Linda, I think it uses a common phone bell. Here is a picture of the bell I need. 

As far as the Liberty ship, I don’t think this is from one of those. Here is a picture of the EOT from a Liberty Ship. 

DA4A4F78-F02C-486C-80BA-8D079513B4D4.jpeg

D7855B55-2C30-4F6D-B72B-AC63C4323438.jpeg

Chris, there was a “telephone” collector in town who passed away a few years ago.  His collection was divided up and is in two different shops.  I wonder if they have any bells that might fit.

3 hours ago, digi-shots said:

Chris, there was a “telephone” collector in town who passed away a few years ago.  His collection was divided up and is in two different shops.  I wonder if they have any bells that might fit.

I ordered two bells on eBay. We’ll see if they fit. 😁

7 hours ago, digi-shots said:

Looks good!  Do you have it wired up yet?

No not yet. Next step is glass lenses for the two indicators. 😁

1 hour ago, 29navy said:

Don't believe it is from a Navy ship. I'd say a commercial-type ship.

Is there an indication of Civilian use?

I would think in 1943 there wouldn’t be much call for civilian contracts. I would think most manufacturers were doing Military contracts. I could be wrong, it has been known to happen. 😁😂

With the exception of the ships built by and for the Navy and Army, almost all the other ships were built under Government contract through the Maritime commission.  Those ships were manned by the Merchant Marine. What I meant for a commercial type ship, was cargo-type of ships  - Liberty, Victory, tankers.  What I was getting at was that it wasn't from a Navy combatant ship. The EOT  for them usually had an RPM indicator as part of the housing. And as far as I know, the Navy didn't have the "STAND BY" or "FINISHED WITH ENGINE" commands.  

18 minutes ago, hink441 said:

Is there an indication of Civilian use?

I would think in 1943 there wouldn’t be much call for civilian contracts. I would think most manufacturers were doing Military contracts. I could be wrong, it has been known to happen. 😁😂

If it was civilian-built in 1943, I would imagine there is a good chance it was used in the Merchant Marine fleet?  How that all was handled back then is beyond me.  

When I get home tomorrow I will gently strip some paint of the data plate and see if “ BU SHIPS” is on my plate. 

Here is a picture of my data plate dated 1943 and lastly a data plate from the USS Cable ARS-19 dated 1942. 

A84CBA33-430D-40C7-8909-0CFD01D6C008.jpeg

5BF7F6CB-ED30-4DF8-A878-E13D0DD66DDA.jpeg

I stripped the multi-layered paint from my data plate on the EOT and it definitely says “BU. OF SHIPS”. Unfortunately it is very faint now because my stripper nearly removed all the paint.

I don’t have any problem calling this a US Navy Engine Order Telegraph. I do agree that this one is more than likely taken from a twin screw auxiliary non-combatant ship. 

Here’s some pics. 

C99FEBCA-4ACD-4F98-B7C1-01E05DB9C478.jpeg

E634E6D4-58EF-4EE6-BB16-8D5DD1EE3952.jpeg

BE3FF653-C75E-4941-A030-215985AC4D69.jpeg

Got the glass over the indicators installed, and placed the telegraph on a wood base. 

Thinking of trying to wire the interior light bulb up. 

CF4CF96A-C676-4896-9C75-9BEBF4DC6E87.jpeg

Thanks Linda, there is a top access panel between the two handles. Open that up and there is a bulb installed there. The bulb is connected to an adjustable rheostat in order to vary intensity. 

The light comes through the opening on the center of the dial face where the black indicator arrow is located.