WIA Pearl Harbor Survivor Group, 72nd Pursuit Squadron, 15th Pursuit Group, Wheeler Field

DaddyDog

21 minutes ago, DaddyDog said:

Thank you.  This card was found at the estate where I purchased the Steff items.  Special Privilege Card with Hawaiian Department, T.H. Fort Kamehameha and dated 28 June 1934

60EC8A29-6BB7-4710-8E30-48260EF0F620_1_201_a.jpeg

Yank magazines all addressed to SGT Frederick J. Pogmore

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 12.51.42 PM.png

I also found a wedding photo in the trash and composed it with an image of this dear couples headstones.  The military spouse also serves our nation by all they do for their service member.

14 - 1.png

• 1 month later...

That article states SSGT Steff worked on Lt. George Welch's guns. Lt. Welch was nominated for the Medal of Honor, and had to settle for the Distinguished Service Cross.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Welch_(pilot)

I'm not an expert on Silver Stars, but recently have gone down this rabbit hole with one from the Army Air Corp. I recall reading (but will revise if wrong) is it possible, this was awarded in the field or at a later time? I recall the Army Air were doing things a bit different from my understanding, and in the field awards could be made at Commanding Officers discretion. I just posted yesterday that I may have found 5 Silver Star awardees not listed anywhere (it appears it was a 'lost' General Order that has been found), so his award info might still be out there if he legit is suppose to have one. I just find it very interesting that it's boxed, with a nice engraving like that, and he has an interesting back story...

The thing that concerns me is that his head stone only mentions the Purple Heart. 

Can someone advise on estimated date range issuances of the Robbins serial numbers (if known?), we have some idea of Serial # ranges and where/when they ended up with the original BBB contract.

• 6 months later...

Today is the anniversary to the death of Mr. Steff.  I was not able to locate an obituary beyond this clipping announcing his death at the VA hospital in Dublin Georgia, 21 August 2000.  It was among the many VA papers and original death certificate found in the trash at the residence.  Also posting today, scans of his original VA disability award letter, 19 July 1944, with a 40% disability rating and pension of $46.00.  The newspaper clipping is like the one posted at post #32.  Also included is a hand written account from Mr. Steff where he apparently attempted to stay on active duty.  He references more later at the bottom of the page, but I have yet to locate it.  

It is evident that he wished to continue his military service despite his wounds.  He was a true patriot among many of his generation.

I made mistakes in post #1 believing the jacket also belonged to this named veteran, it did not.  I should have researched more before making the first post.  The residence had a mix of items that certainly belonged to the family of his son in-law, WW2 V-Mail and some WWI dated documents and a WW1 Helmet.  There was so much that I could not accurately identify what belonged to Mr. Steff vs. other family members.  For my posting errors I do apologize.

AWARD OF DISABILITY COMPENSATION OR PENSION.jpeg

MEMORIAL CHAPEL.jpg

Veteran of Pearl Harbor.jpg

Veteran of Pearl Harbor2.jpg