Plastic Laminating Of Old Documentation

Bugme

I recently acquired a bunch of items for a man who was in the Signal Corps during WWII in the MTO. Years ago he had laminated many of his documents to preserve them. Now, to me, this does not devalue them since they were done years ago by the veteran himself. My question however is: Does laminating documents devalue them in general? We all know that this is a type of preservation, albeit not the type most museums and collectors would use but, what is it about laminating documents causes them to be devalued? I'm sure there is an elementary answer to this but, I'm an elementary type person. ;)

In my opinion lamination devalues the item, just like having a poster linen-backed devalues the item, in my opinion.

Then again, I suppose the value could depend on the ultimate rarity of the item that was laminated. If it was the only surviving copy of the Declaration of Independence, then that might be another story...

I recently acquired a bunch of items for a man who was in the Signal Corps during WWII in the MTO. Years ago he had laminated many of his documents to preserve them. Now, to me, this does not devalue them since they were done years ago by the veteran himself. My question however is: Does laminating documents devalue them in general? We all know that this is a type of preservation, albeit not the type most museums and collectors would use but, what is it about laminating documents causes them to be devalued? I'm sure there is an elementary answer to this but, I'm an elementary type person. ;)

I don't know: if you a copy of Patton's original commissioning certificate and it was laminated would that make it any less desirable? I'd say "no," as long as the provenance is sound. And for documents associated with the millions of GI's who were not a Patton or Ike, it's hard to imagine there'd be much difference - those kinds of documents individually usually don't have a lot of value: their worth usually comes from being part of a grouping that collectively tells the story of a particular person.

teufelhunde.ret

The answer is, of course. If there is some scale of rarity in these documents, the deed may not have as severe affect of value. Nonetheless, its intrinsic value is likely been damaged for all time... and sadly therein lies the simple answer.

The answer is, of course. If there is some scale of rarity in these documents, the deed may not have as severe affect of value. Nonetheless, its intrinsic value is likely been damaged for all time... and sadly therein lies the simple answer.

I agree!

BKW

Laminating is a no-no... and it does technically all but destroy the physical value of the artifact - which is why museums do not laminate. The historical information may remain but not the feel of nor the ability to preserve it... if the lamination was done using typical heat-sensitive adhesive plastics.

Anyone who would pay as much for a laminated as for the same unlaminated artifact has got to be kidding themselves... or someone else.

In other words, laminating Da Vinci's MONA LISA or the US Constitution absolutely would devalue the objects. It would be like hanging General Washington's dress uniform out on your clothesline for five years.

Better solution is "encapsulation"; no adhesive is used and the plastic is a neutral barrier.

For numerous sources of encapsulation envelopes and stock, please see:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=26375

I have to agree with the above. Any lamination destroys most of the value of the item. The lamination will eventually yellow and deteriorate, and so will the document. I had a British WWII War medal that was privately named to an RAF pilot that was killed in a training accident. I sold the group off because the issue slip (the most important document in the group with his name) was laminated onto a cardboard backing. This Pretty much did it for me personally, and trust me, it will with most other collectors. Really unfortunate. I currently have a USN Good Conduct group that has a laminated medal request response letter from the 1950's. I made a high quality photo-copy of it knowing that the plastic will eventually crystalize within the next 20 years or so....

-Ski

Very interesting thoughts. think.gif I personally do not want any of the documents in my collection laminated either but, when some well meaning family member has it done for the vet or the vet tries to preserve his paperwork for himself in this manner, I guess I wouldn't be too quick to turn the grouping away or not add it to my collection because of the lamination either. I guess if it's rare and the only one out there, I'd take it, laminated or not.

As Bluehawk stated, proper preservation is the way to go and it is the way I do preserve my collectible documents. I just wanted to see what the consensus was among other collectors.