Named WW2 Navy helmet with Grafitti from the ETO

ArchangelDM

Beach Jumpers saw much action in World War II. Their first operation was in Operation Husky. On the night of 10 July 1943, Beach Jumper Unit 1 (BJU 1) was ordered to conduct a diversion off Cape San Marco, 100 miles west of the HUSKY landing area. The first attempt was recalled due to hazardous seas. On D+1, the weather was better and the operation began at 2200 hours. At 3,000 yards off shore, three of the ASRs prepared their heaters, one ASR proceeded a thousand yards ahead and began to lay smoke. As the sound boats prepared to make their run parallel to the beach, a searchlight from Cape San Marco illuminated the area, accompanied by small arms and artillery fire. At 0230 the sound boats were ordered to secure their heaters and approach the beach, which they did, firing guns and rockets. All boats retired on a course back to their home port at Pantelleria, Sicily.

To keep the Germans' attention, the unit was ordered to conduct another operation on the night of 12 July 1943, using all available craft. This time the shore batteries were completely alerted. The Germans were convinced that a landing was about to take place. Salvos of six inch and smaller guns were thrown at the boats. The operation was a success and no casualties were sustained.

The USS Tarazed docked in Oran ( June 22nd ) on the date on the muster roll.

attachicon.gif tara.JPG

On 8 June 1943 Tarazed joined Task Force 65 at Norfolk headed for North Africa and arrived at Mers el Kebir, Algeria, on 22 June. She partially unloaded there and, on the 30th, took the rest of her cargo to Oran.

Explains a lot , he was probably with operation Husky.

On the helmet is written Algiers as well 1943

Great info on this guy , if only the helmet could talk

On 8 June 1943 Tarazed joined Task Force 65 at Norfolk headed for North Africa and arrived at Mers el Kebir, Algeria, on 22 June. She partially unloaded there and, on the 30th, took the rest of her cargo to Oran.

Mers El Kébir is a municipality located in north-west of Oran, about seven km (4.3 miles) from the city center. As its name indicates (The Great Port), it is a major port and has an important naval base, home to the Algerian Navy

stealthytyler

I dont think he was a beach jumper. He was in a rescue boat squadron. I read that they did missions alongside beach jumpers sometimes. Either way, super cool shell that I should have pulled the trigger on when I saw it. Congrats

I dont think he was a beach jumper. He was in a rescue boat squadron. I read that they did missions alongside beach jumpers sometimes. Either way, super cool shell that I should have pulled the trigger on when I saw it. Congrats

Got to wait 90 days for his file as he left the Navy in 1960 , maybe this will shed some light.

D.C

Mers El Kébir is a municipality located in north-west of Oran, about seven km (4.3 miles) from the city center. As its name indicates (The Great Port), it is a major port and has an important naval base, home to the Algerian Navy

Nice !

The helmet is adorned with Algiers 43 I believe

Thanks

D.C

stealthytyler

Got to wait 90 days for his file as he left the Navy in 1960 , maybe this will shed some light.

D.C

I am waiting on a service file too. I get it in June... hastle the wait but should be well worth it! Please share the info once you get it. Thanks!

I am waiting on a service file too. I get it in June... hastle the wait but should be well worth it! Please share the info once you get it. Thanks!

You got it Tyler

Thanks for the interest

D.C