Cpl. John Cleary - 83rd Infantry Division Grouping

MajorBonacelli

MajorBonacelli

Hello gents,

Was able to snag this grouping at an estate sale a few weeks back. I was the first in the door and grabbed everything pertaining to a Corporal John Cleary of the 83rd Infantry Division. Mostly, it consists of various War Department manuals and unit history books from immediately after the war, but there are some great gems. Included were two war trophies: a German Kriegsmarine EM Cap Eagle and a pair of German Dienstglas Military Binoculars in its original Bakelite case. Furthermore, I was able to find some documents in one of the history books, two of which were between Mr. Cleary and the War Department in 1950. Apparently the wife of a Pvt. David Fortney was looking into the death circumstances of her husband back in 1944-1945, and five years later she was still looking for answers. As Mr. Cleary was a Personnel Officer during the war, the Army contacted him for information on the matter. The last document of note was a signed letter from the 83rd Divisional Commander Major General Robert C. Macon congratulating the division on a job well done at the end of hostilities in 1945. This is the same Macon who ordered the 83rd to supplement the division's transport with anything that moved during the race to the Elbe River, "no questions asked." Soon, the 83rd looked very much like a German convoy with a handful of American vehicles, earning them the nickname "The Rag Tag Circus."

-MajorBonacelli

27938786649_726ca7d00c_b.jpg27938791809_ce803221aa_b.jpg

Was Mr. Cleary a corporal or a captain? There is a Captain John Cleary listed as a BSM recipient in the 329th. Very nice Thunderbolt group, thanks for sharing!

• 1 year later...
MajorBonacelli

Was Mr. Cleary a corporal or a captain? There is a Captain John Cleary listed as a BSM recipient in the 329th. Very nice Thunderbolt group, thanks for sharing!

I think he was a corporal but could be a captain as I cant tell from the paperwork. Could you send me where you found this info?

If he is listed somewhere as "Personnel Officer," then he would have most likely served in an S-1 or G-1 capacity and would have more likely have been a commissioned officer. At the Battalion level, the S-1 is normally a captain.

Allan

Cool grouping. One or my dearest friends was in Charlie company of the 329th. He was a replacement during the Bulge, and over the many years I knew him he provided me with an intimate look into the life of a combat infantryman in the ETO. His platoon leader, Lt Springer, (who ultimately commanded the company) had earned a battlefield commission.