Lt. Col. Herbert B. Fowler 755th Tank Bn. 805th TD Bn.

FSBE

Hey all,

I'd like to share with you my most recent acquisition.

This is the M1 helmet worn by Lieutenant Colonel Herbert B. Fowler. I'm unsure of when Fowler enlisted into the Army, but in 1937 he was a 2nd Lieutenant. In 1940 He was promoted to First Lieutenant as a Maintenance Officer of the 67th Armored Regiment. He completed a Tank Maintenance Course in 1941 and was assigned to the 755th Tank Battalion. In 1942 he was promoted to Captain and was shipped off to England.

In January of 1943 he landed in Algeria and trained French soldiers for 9 months and as authorized to wear a star for the African Campaign. In the same year he was promoted to Major and left Africa for Italy. Fowler was awarded a second star for the fighting in Naples as well as a 3rd for Rome. During action in Rome he was awarded a Croix de Guerre with silver star.The 755th as a whole also received a Croix de Guerre for action between May 11, 1944 to July 23, 1944. In this period, the 755th crossed the Garigliano Rive, ans captured the cities of Castelforte, Ausonia, Esperia, Pico, and for attacking the enemy in Sienna, Italy. Fowler was wounded sometime in his service and was awarded a Purple Heart on July 20th, 1944.

The 755th became the tank battalion with the most French citation than any other units in the US Army's history. Late in 1944 Fowler was sent home to the US and went on leave until February 1945 where he went back into action with the 755th Tank Battalion, arriving in France where he would become the Commanding Officer of the his unit. I'm assuming this is when he became a Lieutenant Colonel, but this promotion is not documented in what I have. Fowler was then attached to the British 8th Army and got 2 more stars for the North Apennines and Po Valley Campaigns. The commanding officers of the 9th British Armored Brigade recommended Fowler for the Distinguished Service Order and he received it after the war ended.

Citation

BRONZE STAR MEDAL

HERBERT B. FOWLER, (03503231), Major, Infantry (Armd. United States Army). For meritorious service in combat from 11 May, 1944 to 2 May, 1945 operation, executive and commanding officer of a tank battalion, Major FOWLER displayed outstanding leadership and resourcefulness in the performance of his duties. Working at times with both the French and British Forces, his unit accomplished its mission in an exemplary manner by virtue of his detailed training and supervision in combat. Participating in the advances from Gustav to the Gothic Line and the Po Valley, he exhibited courage and exceptional tsctical skill in commanding his organization in the face of fierce enemy resistance, over hazardous terrain and sever weather conditions. As a result of his untiring efforts, he contributed vitally to the outstanding accomplishments of his battalion in combat. Major FOWLER's devotion to duty and superior leadership ability reflect the highest credit to him and the United States Armed Forces. Entered military service from Sacramento, California.

D.S.O CITATION

755 Tk BN. (US) came under comd 9 ARMD BDE on 22 Mar 45 at LAKE TRASIMENE Italy and underwent a period of intensive specialized training until 9 Apr 45 when concentration South of Lake Comacchio was completed. During the time Major Fowler, the Commanding Officer, showed great ability and a spirit of fine co-operation. On Apr 11 and Apr 13 Major Fowler commanded a composite FANTAIL of British and American Toops in amphibious operations during the assault, by 56 Div., on MENATE 4158 and the area 3362-3462, using a new technique which involved movements over flooded and difficult country and which had been taught his unit only a very short time previously. He showed great skill and determination and it was to a large extent due to him and both operations proved most successful.

At all times Major FOWLER displayed s spirit of full cooperation which greatly contibuted to the harmonious working of Units within ARMD BDE and United States Army.

There are also a few news articles about Herbert Fowler that I have.

This article is dated July 22, 1943 and is titled:

CAPTAIN FOWLER WRITES HOME FROM NORTH AERICA (yes they accidentally put an E instead of an F), and in it he has a couple stories about how he "borrowed" a jeep that the German's captured from the US for a few days, and of a story of how while he was in this "borrowed" jeep, he encountered a group of hundreds of Italians who all wanted to surrender.

The next article isn't dated but is titled:

805TH TD BATTALION LONG ON BATTLE HONORS

The article covers that the unit (I imagine the 755th eventually became the 805th) fought from Africa to Italy spending 500 days in combat, and even 9 months on the line at one point. Lt. Colonel Fowler is mentioned for receiving a Croix De Guerre, 5 battle stars and an arrowhead, as well as for being an executive officer and commanding officer. Hope you all very much enjoy this post. The lengthy and heroic service history of Fowler was a surprise to me after I got the helmet today.

The helmet itself is a fixed bail, 171D heat stamp, and the liner is an IMP with steel A washers. Both pieces have painted leadership bars, Lt. Colonel pins, and Fowler's last name under a thick overpaint.

John

post-153324-0-02401400-1474153082_thumb.jpg

post-153324-0-31896300-1474153083_thumb.jpg

post-153324-0-60521800-1474153084_thumb.jpg

This one was in my collection for a lot of years before it ended up on Paul's site.. Fowler was in the thick of things early on in North Africa. This is a wonderful matched set and I'm glad it managed to remain in Wisconsin!

805th was an early td unit, i would imagine it was a late war shuffling that had him end up with them, maybe? Might have been a unit that was going home when he was supposed to. Awesome helmet...

This one was in my collection for a lot of years before it ended up on Paul's site.. Fowler was in the thick of things early on in North Africa. This is a wonderful matched set and I'm glad it managed to remain in Wisconsin!

So how did you get this one? I saw some documents that made me believe the vet's son requested info on the 755th and his dad....

I'd be interested to find out the relation of the 805th and 755th.

Thanks for the comments gents

John

Nice helmet indeed.

Was this guy in M3 TDs in North Africa?

What is Paul's site?

Also Ronny can't answer for sure if he was but I'd imagine he was in one. That would certainly be icing on the cake if I could find that info!

John

If I'm reading it right, he was 755th first? They first saw action in Italy, but would have been based in Africa. Hard unit to find anything on. The 805th was home by August of 45, so I think he was with the 755th until it was time to go home and the 805th might have had the first boat...

The 805th had the M3s part of 43, then towed 3" guns, and got Hellcats in 44.

If I'm reading it right, he was 755th first? They first saw action in Italy, but would have been based in Africa. Hard unit to find anything on. The 805th was home by August of 45, so I think he was with the 755th until it was time to go home and the 805th might have had the first boat...

The 805th had the M3s part of 43, then towed 3" guns, and got Hellcats in 44.

Looks like he was transferred to the 805th as CO in June, 1945. That's what one of my documents says.

John

I kinda figured. I'm sure a lot of us have uniforms and the like from guys that fought with one unit for the whole duration, and went home with a unit that just happened to be leaving at the right time for the stars to line up. For a unit as distinguished as the 755th is, there sure isn't much out there. Am I correct in assuming that they were one of the independent tank battalions like the 191st? I've got a pretty cool grouping to a 191st man, and they were the on-call armor for several infantry divisions throughout. There is no shortage of info and documents out there for them, though, but when I tried to look up the 755th, I found several pages on this forum, some after-action reports, and one or two veterans' interviews. Not much about the unit and its activities.