Rare XVI Corps greenback for sale

ocsfollowme

That is downright ridiculous IMHO. I have a box of 1944 dated patches that are just as old but just don't happen to be greenbacks. I don't get it.

-Ski

ocsfollowme

Rarity. Collectors collect what they like to collect. Since I sew patches on quilts I do not care about greenbacks and I would love to find one of these to sell for major $$$ to put towards a T-Force patch.

It was on the known green back list http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/105377-greenback-patch-list/

I saw this as well. What caught my attention is the 65 bids between just 3 people! Are they out bidding each other by $5 every 30 min? Lol

BILL THE PATCH

The one to look for is the 16th corp od bdr, now that's a rare one. The greenback is nice ,but worth over 300.00?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Sergesquadron

Hello to all,

I find very dear for a greenback patch,his real value and of how much has your opinion?,the last one 20 days ago was sold on ebay $360.

Serge

What is stupid about the whole thing is the fact that greenbacks are sought simply for the fact that they are 100% WWII. That's it. Nothing more. IMHO, If you have a whiteback in a WWII box, what is the difference? Fools and their money.........

-Ski

Sergesquadron

Hello Teamski,

Yes I find stupid to pay the more or the more patche greenback,but here is always one but,personally I find greenback more beautiful,it is just my opinion.

Serge

vintageproductions

What use does it do to take the piss out of another collector because of what they collect?

If greenbacks aren't what you go after, or expensive patches, don't go after them that is your choice, but why do you have to make a comment that is very degrading to the people who do collect them? A fool and their money comment is uncalled for. Who says the collector that specializes in any certain field is a fool?

What use does it do to take the piss out of another collector because of what they collect?

If greenbacks aren't what you go after, or expensive patches, don't go after them that is your choice, but why do you have to make a comment that is very degrading to the people who do collect them? A fool and their money comment is uncalled for. Who says the collector that specializes in any certain field is a fool?

It simply skews the hobby to make it inaccessible to many collectors for no real reason, that is why. A value of a patch should be legitimate, not an arbitrary value that makes a dealer the most money possible.

You have collectors that overpay for patches that then set an unreasonable baseline for the rest of the hobby. We are seeing patches making way more than they should and in turn, bumping up prices that will ultimately (and currently is) killing the long term health of the hobby. I love greenbacks and rare patches as much as the next guy. But come on! Look, you don't see me complaining about values of 509th gingerbread or 466th QM patches....no. Premium patches are premium patches. I do have issues with patches that once were in the quarter box that are now somehow super rare. First of all, errors are NOT variations, and yet we have dealers on this site that want others to believe that they are legitimate rarities, even to the point of comparing them to the upside down jenny postage stamp. Really? It is a conflict of interest, but that is another subject altogether.

This reminds me of watching an antique auto auction on TV where a guy blows $1.5m on an AC Cobra and gets a standing ovation. That is what we tend to do here and it is sending the wrong signals to the hobby. Simply throwing money at a collection does NOT make a good collector. It makes somebody else a good dealer. In the end, it does the hobby a disservice.

I am sincerely sorry for being rude, but I have my reservations.......

-Ski

ocsfollowme

Ski, if you do not collect greenbacks and happened to come across one....would you not be happy to get $350 to spend towards something that you do collect instead? Sign me up everyday of the week. This goes back to one of the reasons threads get locked: I am thankful that everyone does not collect home front patches because then I could not afford it nor would I have a sizable collection that I do have. Everyone loses if we collect the same things. If we call into question why someone collects something....it is none of our business...it is their right.

I do not collect greenbacks but I have a special affinity for OD border patches. I still need an 82nd and a 101st (and even a white tongue 101st non OD border) but I simply do not have the money to invest.

The Ordnance Depot patches are being bought up by 3 people with money and I have been priced out of those for about a year....so I moved on to aircraft manufacturers and have had a blessed year. You cannot have everything. Even if you had all of the money in the world you still run into rarity. Makes collecting fun IMHO.

WorldWarPatches

I agree with Bob on this one

warcollect1942

There are dealers and there are collectors. Collectors are interested in patches. Dealers are interested in money.

I am a collector. There are smart people and there are fools.

If you have a patch you think is worth 200 and you don't want to sell and I offer you 800 and you still won't sell.

Who is the fool?

ocsfollowme

Before this thread gets locked:

Collectors collect different things and that is awesome

Do not call collectors fools

Happy Thursday!!! Do something fun today.

One week until the Pomona Show!!!

Indeed, I don't think we can compare this hobby in the 1940s-1960s-period, the collecting business at the moment and in the future.

However, what a collector wants in his collection, is up to him and what he can afford. This will always be the same in any collection... Is this bad for the hobby? I don't know...Hence my first words here above.

H.

Before this thread gets locked:

Collectors collect different things and that is awesome

Do not call collectors fools

Happy Thursday!!! Do something fun today.

One week until the Pomona Show!!!

Well said, Steve.

When my kids decide to sell my collection, which they will own at one time, because they are not interested to keep it, it's their business. They have the right to do this. Are they dealers? No, I don't think so. Can they make someone happy? Certainly yes... Will they have their money? Off course...

Such as a partner of a deceased family member who owned a collection, very much the same...

I sell some of my patches to get more rare patches etc...

Collector, family member, dealer... anyone has his reasons... no one is a fool here.

Enjoy the collection and the collecting business while you can... even photos at reference sites and books... life is too short.

H

warcollect1942

I have no family. So the chances of my collection ever seeing the light of day are very slim.

I do enjoy sharing and hopefully educating.

Dennis.....Agree One Hundred and Ten Percent with your post. As a collector if I need an item to fill a place in my collection money is not the primary consideration.

I go back to an old post of mine when its time to sell your collection will you sell the patch you picked up for 25 cents that's worth 100.00 for 25 cents or will it be sold for close to the 100.00.In this day and age and even years ago people paid premiums for anything that's different from the standard model This Forum has some of the best Historians, Collectors,and yes even Dealers who love the collecting hobby and the friendly banter and education that goes with it.I think it does nothing for our hobby when we call a man or woman a fool because they wish to collect something different and will pay their hard earned money to get it.What does it teach young collectors when these kinds of statement are put forth that Its Alright To Call Any One That Doesn't Agree With You A Fool or worse, I think not.The Reason Bob, Garth, Me, Robert And many many long time dealers who have been in this hobby for ages and are successful at it is we treat the young collector the same as the older collectors, with respect.I agree with Bob that there is no place for name calling on the Forum.Scotty

88thcollector

I don't think some of you understand econ 101. An item is worth what consumers will pay for it in a free and open marketplace with no encumbrances. There is probably not any better way to determine value than a public auction with supply and consumer demand setting the price.

The patch is real and honestly represented and it is very clearly worth $355 or more in April, 2016.

High prices do not skew the market or hurt anything, collectors will find a field they can afford. Prices are not arbitrary at all, dealers do not set prices, collectors set prices. If a dealer sets his prices too high, collectors will buy elsewhere and then he will be an ex-dealer very quickly. Or an inventory rich but cash poor dealer. Unless there is collusion and widespread price fixing, the consumers determine value and price.

Finally, no one seems to think it is odd that a white tongue 101st is worth more than a red tongue 101st. It is for exactly the same reason this greenback back is 355 rather than 3 dollars.