One you don't see every day

emccomas

Here is a gold version also in the collection of the National Air and Space Museum.

P.S. I remember a similar medal for the Railroad but all my books are in box's and my memory is not what it once was. I bet Jeff Floyd knows what I am talking about.

post-15093-0-35470200-1458134088.jpg

That medal is so stunning that I am almost tempted to put a bid in myself. I have to keep reminding myself that I am getting OUT of the WWII medal collecting arena.

On a related note, my recent research on this medal turned up this piece of trivia. The Air Mail Flyers Medal of Honor in the possession of the National Air and Space Museum (part of the Smithsonian) was donated by the US Postal Service in 1958. The Air Mail Flyers Medal of Honor was approved by Congress on Feb 14, 1931, and award of this medal was retroactive to May 15, 1918.

pre-dates WWII...you're in the clear

But it is still beautiful.

Looks like 7 players, currently sitting at $2225, and about 7 hours to go.

I am thinking more like $3500 final price.

Has anyone ever seen an officially engraved version of this medal? I cannot locate an image anywhere of one that is engraved with then name of the recipient, officially or otherwise.

Were they actually engraved before presentation? Is it possible that this medal is actually one of the 10 that were officially presented?

pre-dates WWII...you're in the clear

Maybe I should refocus to Interim years decorations, or perhaps to federal (buy not military) decorations.

Wishful thinking at this point, as I don't know where I collecting interests will take me.

I did run this one by my wife, including my original estimate of $5K.

She told me to do whatever I wanted to. I think I will keep her. :)

Ed, I think as the seller has 2 of them from the same source I would doubt that it/they are awarded pieces. However, like you, I have never seen a named piece. Hunting down originals and photographing them would be a good project, as many have done for the MOH. AND, like you I am looking at the $5K price so it may go higher. ;) Wait a minute, he has two! Scratch the $5K thought! :D

PS: And as for the wife your just one lucky Son of a Gun and smart so I know you will keep her!

He does have 2, but I believe one of them is missing a ribbon.

Kurt

And for a couple hundred bucks I can have a replacement made and it will display just as good. : )

And for a couple hundred bucks I can have a replacement made and it will display just as good. : )

A replaced ribbon just never looks the same. British collectors don't care about original ribbons on British medals, but for some reason it really effects the value of US medals.

Kurt

A replaced ribbon just never looks the same. British collectors don't care about original ribbons on British medals, but for some reason it really effects the value of US medals.

Kurt

Totally agree. For a type (i.e., unattributed) example of a rare medal, the original hardware makes a big difference in value. Just a planchet would have a value significantly below a complete example. The main problem may be this type of ribbon isn't even available. If it was, that would greatly help, as the brooch is easy to find. Just buy a vintage US Navy Reserve Medal and butcher it for its U.S. Mint-made brooch.

When we say "missing the ribbon" are we talking about the service ribbon, or the ribbon and brooch that is attached to the medal?

This set has both.

Here is what he said;

"Picture of the reverse. Actually two of these came in the group, both cased but the second one is missing the ribbon and maybe not quite as nice. Will post pictures of the group when I get a chance. His last name was Cole, 1st Lt during WW2 (or at least a few pieces of his gear are marked that). Not sure if he won it or something he acquired, he passed in 2010."

Maybe he is talking about the ribbon bar?

Broke $3k now. : ) i suspect the 2nd high bidder will get a second chance offer for the other less nice one but the price will most likely be to high if it is not as nice.

P.S. I would not spend that kind of money on it as an investment but something I was planning on keeping for ever. This stuff is to odd ball to think you may get your money back or make money on it. Just my opinion.

Wow, it only hit $3663.01 and I am pretty surprised!

Being apparently unattributed was the overriding factor. $3600 isn't bad for an "example" of a medal. Had it been awarded/named, it would have gone much higher.

I had a moment of insanity and bid $3K with 20 minutes to go. That "high bid" lasted about 5 minutes. I am now the third highest bidder, with the fourth highest bid amount.

And lets keep in mind that, while this medal is not named, it MAY have been awarded. If the medal's history could be tracked back to one of the known recipients, it will improve the value significantly. Lots of research potential here.

How did it get into the hands of the person who sold the group, etc., etc. ?

Ok Kurt and Kurt, which one of you bid $3500 so you would hit your prediction? :D

LOL, I knew you would figure out my diabolical plan!

Kurt

I can honestly say that I was the second highest bidder, and as with "emccomas", my wife simply said go for it.

I actually bid higher than I originally planned to, so I was sort of relief, not to win it.

With that being said, it is a medal that I would still love to have.

If it was engraved and if only 1 copy was found, it would have made a big difference to me while bidding. I would have gone much, much higher.

Unattributed medals can go bust if a horde is found. Even with just a couple more Air Mail Flyer MOH's added the market and the value of this one would be cut in 1/2 overnight.

We all remember when hundreds of mint WW1 PA medals were found and the price dropped drastically on those. You can still buy them today, mint, in the box fore under $10 each if you look.

In my State, 1000's of re-boxed WW2 PH's, WW2 DSC's, etc. and even dozens of MoH's etc were found in a Memphis NG supply depot about 10-15 years ago. 100's of these medals hit the local market. Many of the AF Medal of Honors were given way as gifts at the time by the guy who found them. (he has since passed away). They were being sold in the local area for as little as $50 each before the law went into effect.

On interesting fact from that horde was that it contained Army MOH's that were re-boxed into those little blue boxes and labeled as such (MOH) on the outside. If I could find a old photo of one, I will post it.

Unattributed medals can go bust if a horde is found. Even with just a couple more Air Mail Flyer MOH's added the market and the value of this one would be cut in 1/2 overnight.

That's exactly the issue. Before the internet days, there were certain items that were considered "ultra" rare...and then determined to be common and the value nosedived. Not saying one of these will ever be common, but not being an actually awarded one, it makes for a nice example, but nothing more than that.

And yes, I agree with everyone who says that if this had actually been a named one, it would have been much higher - then it would truly be an "ultra" rare award that would be pretty much unique in scope (when would you find the other nine?)

Dave

Just found this image of Roosevelt presenting the medals with this description:

"MEDALS FOR BRAVE FLIERS. PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT AWARDS AIR MAIL FLYER'S MEDALS OF HONOR TO PILOTS PERFORMING ACTS OF HEROISM. FROM THE LEFT: ROY H. WARNER, UNITED AIR LINES; GROVER TYLER, UNITED AIR LINES; LEWIS TURNER, AMERICAN AIRWAYS; WALLINGTON P. McFAIL, AMERICAN AIRWAYS; WALLINGTON P. McFAIL, AMERICAN AIRWAYS; GORDON S. DARNELL, U.S. AIRLINES; JAMES CARMICHAEL, JR, CENTRAL AIR LINES; EDWARD A. BELLAND, TWA; PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT; AND PMG JAMES A FARLEY."

post-15093-0-36174500-1458261444.jpg