New (to me) M1 Carbine #41665xx

TLeo

I picked up a Postal Meter carbine at a gunshow this morning and after got it home gave it quick cleaning so I could better see what I got. I still need to take apart the trigger housing to check the trigger and sear but it's a typical post war refurb. Flat, blued Inland bolt, type 4 Winchester operating rod, I-I inland hammer and SA post war trigger housing. The barrel is Buffalo Arms 11-43. Stock has short channel oval oiler cutout.

I do need some help with the stock markings though. The handguard is winchester two river and any cartouch on the stock is gone but in the sling well is the letter R and a flaming ordinance bomb. There also seems to be a tiny letter N. I can't find combination that in my carbine book, so what is that maker? Thanks for any help!

edited...one other question: does that serial number block correspond with the barrel date?

National Postal Meter is one of those companies that didn't make all that many carbines ( as I'm sure you know) so that adds to the neatness factor in my book. They were made in Rochester, NY which is my neck of the woods. The National Postal Meter buildings are still there but NPM is long gone. There was also a local baby furniture maker, Trimble I think, that made carbine stocks for NPM and others. Enjoy.

They also have a reputation for making good carbines which is one reason I got this one. Trimble stocks are usually hard to find, especially if the correct cartouches are still present. There was a nice Underwood right beside it but this one a bit cheaper. I did some more digging and the Buffalo Arms barrel dates to the same few months when this carbine was made so I would believe it original to the carbine. I still haven't been able to identify that sling well stamping????

I believe the stock is a Robert Irwin replacement stock[marked IR].

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I recently came to that same conclusion as well

TLeo, I have one on my 1,794,480 S'G' return from Israel. Mine, like yours, is in very nice condition.

Leave it on the carbine and enjoy!

Regards,Chuck.

TLeo, I have one on my 1,794,480 S'G' return from Israel. Mine, like yours, is in very nice condition.

Leave it on the carbine and enjoy!

Regards,Chuck.

defintely going to leave it as is. Took it out to a local indoor range a few days ago and it shot great. I noticed the sight base was not centered but no big deal. I just had to run the peep almost all the way left to get my shots zeroed. When I got home I noticed that although there were stake marks, the sight base had obviously shifted to the right in the base so I used my sight tool and pushed it back to center of the base. Took it back yesterday to do another zero and it only needed 1 click left to get it zeroed. After shooting a few mags, I noticed the base had again shifted and I had to keep adjusting the sight to the left so tonight I used some blue Loctite on it to see if that solves the problem. If not I'll have to get a gunsmith to stake it again. If I can fix this little problem it will be a great little shooter.

Tom

• 2 months later...

My NPM M1 Carbine serial# 41410XX is very close to yours bought in 1989 for $199.00 it's a rework with updated features. Underwood barrel dated 11-43 stock is marked in sling well Trimble TN stock pouch is marked Airtress Midland 1943 it's a nice little shooter.

post-162235-0-53629100-1457660586.jpg