Marine Aviation Patch Collector "Mule" Holmberg Passes away

Fly USMC

A friend and Mentor is no longer with us. Mule literally "Wrote the Book", well actually two books on Marine Aviation Patches.

Part of the message from his son:

Dad passed suddenly while out shopping last Friday, the 21st of August. My wife, son, and I were sure we'd get another ten years out of him, but it was not to be. He's been working through a few health issues, but I'm sure he was as surprised as we are.

From small kid time through the present, I took for granted the love and engagement - dare I say esprit de corps - he brought to his family and his work, something I can only hope I'll have lived up to.

Dad wasn't much for ceremony in family matters, and per his wishes, he will be cremated and his ashes scattered at sea, as was my mom and his mom before him

He will be missed

post-5056-0-51463500-1440773609.jpg

Johnny Signor

Sorry to hear of his sudden passing , he will be missed by a lot of people , you and family most of all, he did some great work with the books and left an enduring part of himself here via those works .

Mule was a good man and Marine. Will miss seeing him at the shows, he was always friendly and was always willing to share his work.

Semper Fi!

vintageproductions

There was no one better then Mule. When he walked up and started talking to you, his smile would light up whatever area his was in.

Also he had a very long aviation career. If I remember correctly from his stories, he started flying in the 50's and taxied Corsairs(?) to the French in Vietnam. Then during the US involvement in Vietnam he was a RIO. Then in the 70's he was an adviser / Tech Rep to the Iranian's, under the Shah.