K.G. Luke of Melbourne, AUS: examples and patterns

Okay ladies and gentlemen, that's all I want to show of the 3 1/8 inch KG Luke Australian made World War II Air Gunner wing authenticity marks. I will be adding the bombardier wing soon but please enjoy this posting and feel free to comment as I am finished with the air gunner. Thank you so much, all who refrained from commenting until I completed the air gunner section. Blessings as always in your collecting ladies and gentlemen and made this nation, in repentance, merit the protection of such men as enter our Armed Forces with hearts that move them to lay their lives down as True Men, that their families may live in the safety and blessing of Righteous Law.....

GREAT ADVICE MEL. TO THIS DAY I HAVE ONLY 1 FOREIGN MADE WING DUE TO THE REPRO'S. DIDNT KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THESE. EDUCATION LESSON #1, LEARN THEN BUY--------

Many have heard that wisdom Costa but my friend, including me at times, not many follow it with discipline and diligence. I commend you Costa, you have a greater command of such discipline than I did! Well done....

Time for the posting of key authenticity markers for the 3 1/8 inch KG Luke Australian Made Bombardier Wing ladies and gentleman. I will be concise and to the point. The bombardier has similar markers to look for but I will tell you right now, IT IS NOT THE SAME DIE for the base wing (observer) used in both the gunner and the bombardier.

-- FIRST AUTHENTICITY MARKER for the KG Luke Bombardier Wing - There is a disturbed surface as there was on the Air Gunner Wing but there are key differences that reveal a different die. I'm going to give you the most pronounced difference extant and that is the differentiated surface, some disturbed as the gunner wing and some smooth. This was done in an artistic way and it resulted in a beautiful wing pattern.

In each of the feathers running out from both the shoulder and out from the 2nd layer of very short fletching just under the shoulder, there is both a line of disturbed surface and just under it at the edge of the fletching, a framing and accentuating smooth line running the length of the fletching. The arrows below will show you where the disturbed surface is at the top of each fletching line and where the smooth framing line of silver runs out the base of each fletching line or out each "feather" if you want to say it that way. Now remember with these wings ladies and gentleman, I clean my wings so as to keep them as the pilot would have so this is how you are seeing clearly the whole effect of the artistry integrated into each wing.

post-76516-0-66358600-1438193178.jpg

2ND AUTHENTICITY MARKER FOR THE KG LUKE BOMBARDIER WING - Disturbed surface for the Maker's Mark foundation at the rear of the escutcheon as well as the imperfect lettering I spoke of with the air gunner wing. See below picture

post-76516-0-34244800-1438193510.jpg

COUNTERFEIT KG LUKE BOMBARDIER WING PICTURE - Notice in this picture, the totally smooth surface of the wing. Completely wrong... Total fabrication.

post-76516-0-86211400-1438193748.jpg

COUNTERFEIT KG LUKE BOMBARDIER WING PICTURE Notice the Maker's Mark set on a smooth surface in the 2 pictures below instead of set upon the proper disturbed surface. You must be careful to use both the disturbed surface AND the imperfect Maker's Mark variables together when you assess the wing. Why? Because pictures can be taken at different angles to give the lettering the "look" of being thin and nonlinear.

post-76516-0-59214500-1438194014.jpg

post-76516-0-75451700-1438194496.jpg

3RD AUTHENTICITY MARKER FOR THE KG LUKE BOMBARDIER WING - This factor has to do with the bomb itself affixed to a concentric circled roundel mimicking a target and the bomb headed straight for the center. If you take a look at the rear of the bomb from the viewpoint of the back of the wing, specifically the fins on the rear of the bomb, you will see the hollow inner area of the bomb and the fins. On the sinister or left side fin, there is a narrow edge outlining the fin as it extends out from the end of the bomb to the tip of the fin and down toward the roundel. Now look at the right or Dexter fin and you will see a thin line extending from the rear of the bomb until it reaches the tip of the fin and begins its descent down toward the roundel. Here is the Authenticity Marker on the true KG Luke bombardier wings.

You will notice that this fin has a thicker and wider width than the sinister side. This is extant in ALL the authentic bombardier wings encountered thus far, in other words the die created to strike the bomb and target roundel portion of this insignia, was hand carved with the wider Dexter or right fin. The following picture shows the correct and authentic bombardier wing bomb and roundel attachment from the rear...

post-76516-0-77568900-1438196148.jpg

COUNTERFEIT KG LUKE BOMBARDIER WING PICTURE - the picture below shows the identical width of the outer edge of both fins on the counterfeit KG Luke bombardier wing....

post-76516-0-58443300-1438196454.jpg

Steve Brannan

Thank you for your research and presentation. I first saw these Luke fakes for sell at a Military Show about a year ago. They were being sold for $85 each and looked good to my uninformed eye. Didn't buy any because of the low price, abundant supply and my grandfathers advise "If it looks too good to be true, it's probably not."

Thank You Gentlemen, it is a real Blessing to hear your encouragement and experiences. Blessings in your Collecting and the faithful maintenance of the HISTORY which gives these insignia ANY meaning or value, to those of us who collect. Without the Truth of the History, all we collectors have are chunks of shaped metal.

I will be adding to the Angus and Coote "How To" soon!

coldsteel61

Excellent information Mtnman. Would have thought that the fakes would have less craftmanship than the originals.

Never entered my mind about CAD and such.

Thanks for the great info.

Tom

Excellent thread with very informative information Mel,

thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

wasn't sure about this but, took a chance on it. it has faults that a reproer wouldn't make. need some help on this--- good or bad?

post-73-0-84423600-1529279135_thumb.jpg

CNY Militaria

It's good...See first photo in this topic as well as the one in post 39:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47048-kg-luke-hallmark/

Also another Aircrew example with same hallmark / back style:

https://www.rubylane.com/item/1308152-RL00932/Sterling-WWII-K-G-Luke-US

PS: I am the seller of the one you just bought...

And for an unbiased opinion :D I agree, it's a nice original 1st pattern.

PS: why would you take a chance on something you have not researched in detail BEFORE buying?

the badge I bought from you had qualities as I stated a faker would not produce. however, still with foreign made wings you cant be to careful. years ago you didn't have to worry much on any gi items. it was usually the German stuff being ramped up but, now the gi field is swamped with crap. now a question----------- how many qualifications did KG LUKE make in American wings???

• 2 years later...
Insigina Hunter

Finally able to land a 1st pattern KG Luke wing. Purchased from Australia and just added to the collection.

All honesty I would of bought this wing no matter what the designation was on the front. However what made this more interesting is the engraved letter "E". I have not seen that letter on wings before and was hoping for some input from members. Maybe Engineer? (they did not have the engineer die and customized this way?)

Not much back story was available (though the wing speaks for itself) Family said their mother had a US boyfriend in WWII. They met at a dance and dated while he was stationed there. Gave her these beautiful wings (capt. bars I aquired separately just included in the picture because they were KG Luke as well and not added to the collection yet*)

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg.8eb988dbcbf5c75587f619433bdbdc97.jpg