Advice Needed-90th Fighter Squadron Emblem

R. Watkins

R. Watkins

Here is an example on an A-2 which is on display at the Museum of Aviation at Warner-Robbins.

attachicon.gif90th FTR A-2 web.JPG

Great example of an actual example of the 'Sluggo' emblem in applied use.

This jacket doesn't happen to have an AF/SSI applied to the left sleeve does it?

Thanks for this photo and information on the museum. I'll see if I can't find out

a bit more on the background of this A-2.

Bob

R. Watkins

Bob, this does not nail down the date of the image I posted but Maxwell Glenn transferred to the 459th Fighter Squadron. Checking the 459th history Glenn does not show up in the initial transfers into the squadron in October 1943 but he does record his first aircraft destroyed (ground) while in the 459th as December 26, 1943. I am of the opinion he would not put the 90th patch on after that date but would option to the 459th Twin Dragon patch.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave,

I agree with your conclusions regarding the timeline issue here.

Wouldn't it be great to find out that Glenn owned another A-2 with the 459thFtrSqdn emblem affixed?

Truth be told however, the majority of pilots continued to wear their original A-2's with whatever unit

emblem was originally sewn or painted on, regardless of transfers to other outfits.

Thanks for the follow-up on this.

Bob

I wanted to share the attached image with those who have expressed an interest in the subject.

This treasure comes to us via Gregg, a fellow U.S.MF member, and is the first item that connects

the 'Sluggo' rabbit design with a 'carved-in-stone' date.

With this piece of history we can finally put to rest the assertion that 'Sluggo' was a late war replacement

to the approved 'Boxing Bear' design.

Kudos to Gregg for taking the time to PM me a high res image of this printed piece.

It may not be a big deal to many, but to us 'emblem buff's' evidence like this dated menu is pure gold.

post-6249-0-73471800-1434047391.jpg

doinworkinvans

Beautiful rock solid evidence!!

I will finally get some solid sleep tonight!!

• 1 year later...

Another evidence of the 90thFS badge being used on some early P-40N while in Burma.

P-40N #79 flown by 2Lt Joseph B Patton also displayed this emblem on the rudder.

post-108814-0-46780000-1485705866_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

I picked up one of these yesterday from an auction of things from a woman who served as an Army Nurse in the CBI, dating back at least to 1943. There were some other CBI aviation patches as well. I pick this piece up from the auctioneer this afternoon - these are the photos he took for the auction listing:

90th1.jpeg

90th2.jpeg

I'll see you there when we get down to pick up our pieces also.

I'm hoping to get there noonish when they open. Wish there was a nice composite photo of all of WWII CBI artifacts - it would be one great WWII nurse grouping.

I picked up the 90th patch and photographed on a neutral white background so we can show a better image of this WWII piece. I like the needle holes around the edge: wonder if this was replaced with the other patch later on?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg