WWII Woman Marine grouping

Bob Hudson

The inside of each album has a name label, and in the photo album with the EGA cover she wrote out a summary of her WWII Marine Corps service.

72.jpg

73.jpg

Besides the photo albums, there are six scrapbooks, with newspaper clippings, some copies of USMCWR documents, etc. If the two photo albums have about 650 images, I wouldn't be surprised if the scrapbooks had close to 1,000 clips (but I'm not going to count them like I did the photos).

76.jpg

77.jpg

The newspaper clippings in the scrapbooks are remarkably well-preserved. Some old scrapbook articles are so fragile you can hardly touch them, but the scrapbooks are quite readable. Besides the newspaper stories and columns, there are a lot of military cartoons.

Here's a very small sample:

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

81.jpg

82.jpg

Here's a few photos from the second photo album, which itself has about 180 photos in it.

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

I love the Disney insignia. This grouping could be put into a book as the history of women Marines. These articles are amazing.

...Kat

This Lady Marine (as they called themselves) preserved a lot of history. As I may have mentioned, I have handled a few WWII USMC Women's Reserve groupings and they were almost always uniforms and maybe one document and a photo. I did have a WR photo album that had perhaps 1/10th of the photos in these two albums. There are enoughed named photos in these albums that ancestry.com and Google can provide some basic info, at least, about the USMC service.

I may do one more series of photos: of just the official documents included with this. Considering how few the WWII women Marines, there wasn't a lot of ephemera to start with so some of these surviving USMC WR docs are probably quite scarce.

I am glad this collection will stay together. It was all priced individually located in different rooms when I got to the sale just before scheduled closing time.

Based on what I saw it did not look like any of her USMC things were bought before I got there. There were some color slides I missed and I would be bummed if I ever found out they were from her Marine service years.

I spent quite a long while finding things and stacking them in the buyer holding area. The nice estate sale lady gave me a nice discount for buying it all, but it's always dicey buying ephemera because it can be pure guesswork as to value. (For those who don't know, California estate sales have fixed prices, with half-price on the last day, unlike some back East estate sales that are always auctions.)

It is hard to convey how much is in these albums: I've shown a ton of photos and docs here, but, again, that's maybe 10% of their contents.

I love the Disney insignia.

...Kat

Yeah, I am going to post that in the forum's Disney at war section. Those WR's were in El Centro, California at a Navy base still used today as a Blue Angels training base. El Centro is very hot, very dusty, very dry and very far from anything better. It had to have been some harsh duty, so it was nice of the Disney folks to provide that design. Wonder where the original art went? That newspaper article could be one of the only images of it.

dave peifer

for getting there that late in the sale you were really lucky to keep this together,i can't imagine you missed much of anything....

Considering how few the WWII women Marines, there wasn't a lot of ephemera to start with so some of these surviving USMC WR docs are probably quite scarce.

It is hard to convey how much is in these albums: I've shown a ton of photos and docs here, but, again, that's maybe 10% of their contents.

This is exactly the reason why I think this grouping could be used to provide a history of the women Marines. It would be great to gather all of this information and write a book about these Marines.......Kat

Thank You for taking the time to post. That was not only interesting from a military but historical perspective. Look forward to you posting more pics from the scrapbooks.

AZ Abn