WWII Woman Marine grouping

Bob Hudson

Got a call late yesterday from someone telling me that a nearby estate sale had items from a woman who was in the Marine Corps during WWII and the Korean War. It was in a gated community and it took quite a while before I could reach someone who could put my name on the list to get past the gate. The sale was almost over for the day when I got there, but the estate sale operator let me take my time once she saw the pile I was accumulating:

1.jpg

This woman is still alive and at age 91 has apparently moved to an assisted living facility, but she took her uniforms with her, but she left a treaure trove in these scrapbooks, a couple of which are full of photos and the other which have documents and numerous newspaper clips about WR's, her base, and the WWII Marines in general. When I return from my Saturday flea market booth I will start photographing some of the contents of these:

2.jpg

She enlisted in 1943 and was discharged at the end of 1945 when Marines were disbanding the Women's Reserve. She later reenlisted and served stateside during the Korean War.

4.jpg

She was very active in the Women Marines Assocation and the Marine Corps League.

3.jpg

Wow what a superb grouping. Talk about some photo albums Hard to find.

Besides the photos she kept a huge selection of WWII newspaper clippings, from civilian and military papers. They make for a very informative perspective of WR life and the Marines in general.

There are two photo albums, the others albums are scrapbooks. Most of the album photos are small, and there are a lot of them.

34.jpg

35.jpg

Lots and lots of photos of buildings at Quantico:

36.jpg

But mostly it's people - the WR'S are in uniform and civvies (and sometimes in bathing suits) in these photos.

37.jpg

These Women Marines had a big adventure in WWII, but theirs certainly was a different war.

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

out standing group of photos

That is only about 10% of the photos: Between loose photos and the two albums I counted about 650 photos.

71.jpg