Vietnam era airborne helmet with yellow marks

Bob Hudson

Picked up an SUV-load of things yesterday including this helmet. I know next to nothing about these, including what's the deal with yellow marks?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The steelpot chinstrap is snapped onto the liner, but it looks like the chinstrap was attached to the steel pot upside down.

8.jpg

Great helmet..

The yellow paint was common. As per the 187th Tactical SOP, yellow paint was used to mark helmets when the standard white paint supplies became exhausted or ran out..

Excellent helmet and cover..

Leigh

The press stud end of helmet chinstrap is usually routed on the outside of the metal hanger each side up through the swivel which leaves the tang with press stud in position for clipping to the liner. The rest of the chin strap is clipped under the folded tabs, but appears to have come away. below pic of 1953 M1C.

Headband appears to have been installed upside down.

post-13573-0-24060400-1412032964.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
USMC-RECON0321

187th ARCT 1st Battalion!....please keep me in mind if you ever want to part with it........mike

Mike,

Wow you were on this helmet within minutes of it being posted. You must have that 6th sense when one of these pops up. Anyway, it would be perfect for your study and collection of these, so I Hope you ended up with it!! (Not to mention, there was no way anyone could have jumped in front of you on that fast response)! Lol..

Troy