Large amout of USN Vietnam and earlier Patches on EBay

Bearmon

Has anyone else noticed the large amount of good quality Navy Air (mostly) Vietnam and earlier patches that have been listed on EBay lately? I have seen more really nice vintage Navy Patches in the past three weeks than any other time in the past three years if not more. I can't believe that may groups were purchased at the SOS So what's up? Are top notch collectors getting rid of their collections? I don't follow the other services patches that much but are their similar collections being posted for Army, USMC or Air Force?

Inquiring minds?

These things tend to come in waves for no apparent reason.

Sometimes it can be attributed to a collection being broken up. And given how large some collections are, this can go on for weeks.

But I think often it is as much coincidence as anything else.

I watch every now and then for Thai made USAF patches. You can go weeks without seeing very many of them and then BAM! they will be out there in the dozens. And almost as quickly they will be gone again for months.

Go figure.

vintageproductions

Bill Scott had a huge collection of Japanese made USN squadron patches and had them at SOS. I am sure he sold some to other dealers. I know I saw Mike from Freshfound carrying a pile.

Yea, "Nam era" seems to be the new buzzword on EBay. At least sellers like Rarepatchman are accurately describing them mostly as "Japanese made" and leaving it at that. He seems to have gotten the pick of the litter as well listing some great pieces. Some of the other sellers? Not so much. There are some supposed 50s era and even WW2 designs that have sold for way too much in the frenzy that are going to leave some buyers disappointed when they actually do their research. This looks like a giant Made-in-Japan patch collection with everything from late 60s to mostly mid-late 70s construction. There is also a wide spectrum of authentic designs along with some fantasy pieces in the mix. I would certainly make sure you know exactly what you're bidding on if you plan to add these to your collection. If, however, your collecting focus is on squadron patches manufactured in Japan, you should be having a great time right now.

I was not the seller of those Navy squadrons I was the buyer.One of the old time collectors passed away and a good friend of mine got his collection and offered me a load of them.Scotty

TrenchfootJoe66

I would hardly call "Nam era' a new buzz word on eBay. Its like saying " Airborne"

is a new buzz word. Not really sure what your point was except maybe to show us how jaded you are ?

I would hardly call "Nam era' a new buzz word on eBay. Its like saying " Airborne"

is a new buzz word. Not really sure what your point was except maybe to show us how jaded you are ?

No, that's not it. Let me break it down just for you.

1. Some of the patches referred to in the topic by the OP are being inaccurately described on EBay as "Nam Era" by some sellers.

2. Many of the patches would be more accurately described as simply being "Japanese made" as they exhibit the construction qualities of patches manufactured in Japan after the Vietnam War.

3. Some of the patches being described as WW2 and 1950s era are actually "Japanese made" patches from the mid-late 1970s even though the designs may be from WW2 or the 1950s. ( I like to call these reproductions. )

4. Some of the patches are selling for more than they normally would in my opinion because of the "Nam Era" descriptor.

5. Still, there are some nice patches in the group and lots of them, especially if you like the Japanese made patches. I would just do some research on the squadrons and insignia design before investing in a "Nam Era" patch that was made in 1979.

Jeffro

River Patrol

Has anyone else noticed the large amount of good quality Navy Air (mostly) Vietnam and earlier patches that have been listed on EBay lately? I have seen more really nice vintage Navy Patches in the past three weeks than any other time in the past three years if not more. I can't believe that may groups were purchased at the SOS So what's up? Are top notch collectors getting rid of their collections? I don't follow the other services patches that much but are their similar collections being posted for Army, USMC or Air Force?

Inquiring minds?

I didn't really notice! (yea right).......IDK, with nearly 20,000 patches listed, it's getting harder to find the good ones.

Bill Scott had a huge collection of Japanese made USN squadron patches and had them at SOS. I am sure he sold some to other dealers. I know I saw Mike from Freshfound carrying a pile.

What is mean with SOS?

These things tend to come in waves for no apparent reason.

Sometimes it can be attributed to a collection being broken up. And given how large some collections are, this can go on for weeks.

But I think often it is as much coincidence as anything else.

I watch every now and then for Thai made USAF patches. You can go weeks without seeing very many of them and then BAM! they will be out there in the dozens. And almost as quickly they will be gone again for months.

Go figure.

This seemed to happen with USN CPO items from WW2.

I could have bought a ton of them when I was first looking for good prices... now you can't find jack and when you do it goes for high dollar. Should have bought then!!!

PS: freshfound gets some good stuff.

-Brian