VENDORS who pay NO dues ......plus NON member sellers SELLING

kammo-man

I'm proud to say I give to this worthy forum so, I like the ribbons. Peer pressure is a good thing at times.

Could always just remove the ribbons as well, that way no one would know who donates.

RustyCanteen

The ribbons were started so that those who wish to support the forum could be given recognition in some manner. There were/are some sites that give members ranks based on contributions or post count, but we don't do that since it overshadows the contribution. There are no special "badges" or "pins" given to our supporting members (unlike other sites), so the ribbon is a point of pride to many who contribute.

Could always just remove the ribbons as well, that way no one would know who donates.

I know that some members are so cool, so dedicated, so helpful, so knowledgable, that the rest of us just can't SEE their ribbons!! :o

AWH Guys.......I've cut down my posts, given up bold capital letters, cut back on my .........., been an overall nicer guy, and now I have to give up EMOTICONS?? :o:)

THere is no justice.......

firefighter

AWH Guys.......I've cut down my posts, given up bold capital letters, cut back on my .........., been an overall nicer guy, and now I have to give up EMOTICONS?? :o:)

THere is no justice.......

You're only allowed to use two emoticons on a response. I say charge extra for each additional emoticon, double for a sarcastic one. :P

You're only allowed to use two emoticons on a response. I say charge extra for each additional emoticon, double for a sarcastic one. :P

Sarcastic, of course, being opened to administrative interpretation

As a potential income generator, I suggest the forum devises its own "Medal of Honor" ribbon to be awarded to the member who makes the highest donation in a given year. This will of course be displayed proudly with their other ribbons and will introduce an element of competition as members will fall over themselves to win this ultimate award...thereby increasing the forum's revenue. ;) :D ( I just used two emoticons...how much do I owe?!)

firefighter

As a potential income generator, I suggest the forum devises its own "Medal of Honor" ribbon to be awarded to the member who makes the highest donation in a given year. This will of course be displayed proudly with their other ribbons and will introduce an element of competition as members will fall over themselves to win this ultimate award...thereby increasing the forum's revenue. ;) :D ( I just used two emoticons...how much do I owe?!)

Another great idea.You owe nothing, first 2 are freebies.Another reason the forum isn't making money, giving emoticons away for free. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I donate because for me it is the right thing to do. All of the members who have gone out of their way to research many of the pictures I post are a great help to me. I use this forum for my own education, my enjoyment of our hobby, and sometimes I sell and buy things. The members have helped me save many dollars by keeping me from buying fake items. So I think I should donate some of the money this forum has saved me. When I sell I try to keep the prices as low as I can to help out my fellow forum members. Honestly I think if a person uses a service you should give back to it. I like the system the way it is, leave it up to the persons own ability to pay. Every member could donate something, it does not have to be much.

Steve

I would like to opine here and say that I initially came here for some museum research but found that I really enjoyed the forum. As I was using others peoples knowledge I felt it right to donate. So, a big thank you for a great forum and great members!

Now, my 2cents. I am a member of a few forums and I do sell from time to time. I have been a dealer and I am still a collector. I don't think it is right to call out ANY member be they dealer, collector, seller, kid, old man, etc... for not donating when all that is asked is a donation. If it were a requirement and someone was intentionally bucking the system somehow, then call them out. But if an item is free to all, and all includes ALL then we just need to live with it. Is it morally correct to take what you don't need? Well probably not, but then as some have already said, there is karma. So if it remains a "donation" only forum, then we have to be thankful for those that donate and look the other way for those that don't. While it may be hard when you personally know a dealer or such, it is the right thing to do.

I have many Third Reich items from veterans, I do not collect them and cannot list them on eBay so I have few outlets for moving them. I could go to the WAF, but they charge for the use of the for sale section so I won't do this on principle as I am not a full time dealer, and have little interest in that forum, and it wouldn't be worth it for me. Would I profit, yes, but do I care, no way... I would rather deal with a group that takes a donation and appreciates the opportunity to have their members post items there first so that other members have the best chance (Even if it is a common M-1 liner or such). So I guess I fall into the category of the person who does it because it is right.

As others have said, some may donate by providing information that they spent money to learn, or by posting photos of little known subjects etc... So I think the should be welcomed and allowed to sell without fear of a tongue lashing. Others may not even be collectors but somehow get here to research an item they have and then possibly offer it for sale. Does it happen? I don't know, but it could.

You have a great resource and forum here and hopefully the donations received are sufficient to keep it going for a long time. I think the donation request is the best way for soliciting and hope that you all will continue on this path. Many have used church analogies but I will just ask, have you ever gone to an all you can eat buffet? Most people just eat until they are full and leave, but there are always a few who need to fill a purse or bag before leaving. Its just the nature of the game. Great job moderators and admin, I really do enjoy the format here. Scott.

Scott

Well said and how many people leave a tip at buffets???? ;)

I also elected to have my one ribbon removed.Im not a ribbon guy................

1SG_1st_Cav

Donating to keep this Forum running is the right thing to do. For all of you Free-loaders that take, take, take, and don't give a little, look at yourself in the mirror. Do you see that big "F"

on your forehead staring back at you? Figure it out! Danny

I leave a tip at a buffet as long as they come clear the plates. I have a family, so if I have to sit thru a meal with a pile of plates they did not earn a tip. I could go into a whole other thread about restaurant service.

I still think the forum should place the donation link at the top of every category as a sticky, this would remind people to send something and maybe even the one hit wonders that pop up will drop a few dollars.

normaninvasion

I believe this topic is in regards to formal dealers who do a "drive by" in the dealer section, listing there updates. The only contribution being made is self advertising. Seems to be happening frequently.

Jack's Son

There must be a Christian theme to this thread. It dissappears for a few day....and then it's back again!!! :o

1SG_1st_Cav

I think charging every time a new member asks for help identifying a ribbon, DUI, patch, cap, strap, belt, piece of canvas, buckle, knife, button, canteen, drinking cup, bag, pouch, insignia, clutch, coat, trousers, name tape, sweetheart pin, bracelet, ring, picture, holster, bayonet, sheath, knapsack, puttees, socks, shirt, tunic, overcoat, hood, belt, boots, shoes, ties, scarves, pistol magazine, rifle magazine, shell casing, bullet, fuze, grenade, bandage, cleaning rod, cleaning kit, bedroll, blanket, poncho, coat liner, face mask, first kit, rucksack, pack board, scope, stock, hand guard, muzzle cover, kepi, chevron, Pilot Wing, CIB, CMB, EIB, EMB, Jump Wing, Glider Badge, EOD Badge, Diver's badge, Submariner's Badge, Recruiter's Badge, Marksmanship Badge, Driver's Badge, Surface Warfare badge, etc., etc., etc., Well you get the idea. Even a small contribution per request could add up to a hefty amount given the number of requests I've see since 2007. Oh, and we could also charge for each sarcastic remark and acts of rudeness. That would bring in a S%&3-load of money. I'm just thinking out of the box here guys! Danny ;):) Danny

I donate because for me it is the right thing to do. All of the members who have gone out of their way to research many of the pictures I post are a great help to me. I use this forum for my own education, my enjoyment of our hobby, and sometimes I sell and buy things. The members have helped me save many dollars by keeping me from buying fake items. So I think I should donate some of the money this forum has saved me. When I sell I try to keep the prices as low as I can to help out my fellow forum members. Honestly I think if a person uses a service you should give back to it. I like the system the way it is, leave it up to the persons own ability to pay. Every member could donate something, it does not have to be much.

Steve

Well said Steve--What I've learned from this site is priceless--far outweighs the price of a donation!

History Man

I donated to the forum because it has been such a helpful place and a great place to go to connect to militaria collectors worldwide. While I had a militaria passion before I joined the forum, it took off after I joined it and would wager to say that I wouldnt be where I am today without the forum. While I can understand the reasoning behind the start of the thread about members who make 1 post every month to advertise their business, I wouldnt judge any active forumers who choose not to donate.

Philip

Thought I would post a picture of some actual militaria in this thread before some some wiseacre (probably one of those danged "freeloaders") has the audacity to suggest that this topic has run on far too long and consumed WAY too much exorbitantly expensive electronic storage space wihout any actual discussion of the stuff this forum is supposed to be all about.

"Can't we all just get along," to quote a famous philosopher from Los Angeles?

As a serving member in good standing of the Freeloaders On The USMF Club, I am perfectly prepared to admit that righteouness and virtue are on the side of the donators, and that the rest of us exist sin in our Forum lives. But for crying out loud, let's just move things along and discuss militaria instead of the morality of CHOOSING whether to donate to the Forum or not!

Respectfully offered,

Bagman

post-545-0-99272400-1367809044.jpg

Well, this thread has run it's course since it appears that we're now heading into the sarcasm phase of this discussion. It's always a digression from there so, we'll close this before it goes the wrong direction. I think everyone on both sides of this discussion has made their feelings known, there is no need to continue saying the same thing over and over.