VN subdued cut edge patches

gregg1960

Great info thanks.

As these are fairly common patches I guess the area is not currently blighted by fakes?

I imagine there are market stalls in Vietnam pumping out all kinds of reproductions for the tourists…..

In answer to my own question, I have found this example in one of the pinned topics “Sampling of fake insignia…..”. I hope the original forum member doesn’t mind me re-posting the image here too.

198thfake.jpg

Is this really a fake or an original US patch that just happened to fall in with a stash of other fakes?

I wouldn’t of thought there would be much of an incentive in reproducing common insignia….

If it is, it would definitely fool me.

I'd say this one is good as well.

There are, unfortunately reproductions being made of the partially embroidered subdued on twill patches.

Typically they are made on OD cotton cloth that is a bit thicker, the border stitches are uneven, and the design details are typically missing or poorly defined.

vintageproductions

In my opinion, this is one of the hardest to find subdued on twill pieces from VN era. 2ad.jpg

In my opinion, this is one of the hardest to find subdued on twill pieces from VN era. post-492-0-11202100-1364527927.jpg

That's one some of the boys of the 2nd Squadron 1st Cavalry wore, member Tanker 1 talked about this if a can recall, he was an original member of this unit you know when it left Ft Hood for the RVN in 1967. They spent most of there career attached to the 4th Inf Div, but I believe he said it was worn by some, most of the time if a patch was worn it would be the Ivy Div.

In my opinion, this is one of the hardest to find subdued on twill pieces from VN era. 2ad.jpg

One actually showed up on eBay about six months ago... I believe it sold for over $100.

Per McDuff's book, there is also a 1st Armored version as well.

Believe it or not, some of the ones for the Transportation commands are tough to find anymore as well.

firefighter

In my opinion, this is one of the hardest to find subdued on twill pieces from VN era. post-492-0-11202100-1364527927.jpg

Nice patch Bob.Is it for sale?I have a 1st Armored but missing the 2nd? I think the 1st & 2nd AD's and Capital Military are the hardest ones to get.

vintageproductions

Not yet. I bought a huge patch collection yesterday and this was in it. As soon as I am done sorting the collection, this will probably end up on the website.

I'd say this one is good as well.

There are, unfortunately reproductions being made of the partially embroidered subdued on twill patches.

Typically they are made on OD cotton cloth that is a bit thicker, the border stitches are uneven, and the design details are typically missing or poorly defined.

I would really like to se a few of these known repros compared against genuine US examples, as a benchmark…

firefighter

Wow.Most of those are ugly.A couple look somewhat ok from the front but turned over, nasty.It's amazing the work they put into a $10 - $20 patch.

And a couple more...

The originals are a bit stiffer than the reproductions, but sewn on a uniform, it would be hard to tell the difference.

20th Engr small.jpg

20th Engr b small.jpg

198th Bde small.jpg

198th Bde b small.jpg

firefighter

Thank you for showing and comparing the original with repros .I don't know why somebody would want or make repros of these patches.There really not the rare version and the originals are not that expensive.

post-34986-0-55039200-1365012571.jpg

At first I thought this 20th Eng Bde was the one I used to have as described in the earlier post, but it isn't, the one I used to have was on OD twill, real ribbed twill, this one is on sateen, the bobbin threads unlike this one, were darker, I would say Army Green 44, the Black backing was I don't know, like a course like cotton woven/weave material, this Black backing here looks like shiny sparkley Crepe paper. Don't know the origins of the one I had, Vietnamese, Japanese, could of even been South Korean made, made for wear by Vets in the late 60s to early 70s serving in Korea.

I've always liked the brown fireball variant of this patch

Me too. When it's just black, it's hardly noticeable. Another favorite of mine is the 196th Infantry Brigade with the brown flames. The same color structure was used with some of the early 9th Infantry Division subdued patches where the upper portion of the octofoil was done in brown or a different shade of green than the base material. I posted a couple of these earlier in this topic. Of course there were also the 4th Infantry Division patches with the green ivy that have also been posted here.

I assume at some point when subdued patches were first being officially adopted, the decision was made to limit them to two colors - olive green and black - even if the full color version was composed of more than two colors.

To me one of the oddest of the early subdued color choices was the version of I Field Force Vietnam second from the right. It makes no sense to me why anyone would make both the band and the upper portion of the shield black.

post-1761-0-28389800-1365021175.jpg

post-1761-0-29148900-1365021186.jpg

Your second from the left 1FFV patch might actually be Thai made. There were a batch of similar patches that popped up on eBay within the last few months.

These are from an earlier post, Vietnamese Machine Embroidered 196th Inf Bde patches, they professionaly done and are almost identical to their U.S. made counterparts, the only thing differant between the two I can see is the outwardly and downwardly curled flame protruding on the inner top parts of the flame, and of course the use of newspaper for backing material.

post-34986-0-04680700-1365053271.jpg

post-34986-0-16615900-1365053282.jpg

A couple more variations, 1st Logistics. Hopefully these are good. I think the one on the left is US made on twill and the one on the right is local VN with velvet panel.

Logistics1.jpg

I noticed on another topic this guy who is wearing an interesting reversed type patch.

Logistics2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I think I found a match for that somewhat Glittery/Shiny Black backing used in making the repro Vietnam War 20th Eng Bde.

It appears to be the same modern backing found today on some Army Shoulder Patches which I gather is somekind of thin Poly Felt.

The Back of the 20th Eng Bde.

post-34986-0-71796500-1368126093.jpg

The Back of a recent Army Reserve Medical Command.

post-34986-0-05114000-1368126105.jpg