Can anyone ID this Insignia? Help please.

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello,

I've looked at what references I have and on line images and I can't figure this one out.

I hope the pictures are clear enough to figure this out. But as you can see this Insignia is under a coat of paint on a WWII helmet liner, so I can't give you any colors. The liner is a mid WWII liner and has this same insignia showing under the paint on both sides of the liner.

Thanks for any help.

Troy

post-33000-0-20848000-1359560069_thumb.jpg

post-33000-0-92061500-1359560082_thumb.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Interesting quick history search!

When called into service for World War II, the 103rd became part of the 43rd Infantry Division. During this conflict the 103rd took part in four major engagements: Guadalcanal, North Solomons, New Guinea and Luzon. They were the first outfit to reach the Ipo Dam which controlled one third of the water supply for the city of Manilla in addition to being one of the few regiments of the United States Army which actually made “Target Tokyo”.

The 103rd lineage continued on when it became the 20th Armor in the 1950’s and early 60’s and later transitioned into today’s 133rd Engineer Battalion.

USMC-RECON0321

No, I think it's a perfect match to the 103rd and even shows the same number of symbols inside the X. Also a closer inspection to the bottom of the crest does appear to have a scroll. It's hard to see due to being worn off from rubbing on the shell, but I can see something is there now that I know what I'm looking at.

I tried to photo it, but very hard to catch with the camera.

post-33000-0-73411800-1359562876_thumb.jpg

post-33000-0-21928800-1359562917_thumb.jpg

Looks vaguely like the DUI member hink441 uses as his avatar.

Hello everyone. The DUI in my avatar is the 111th Field artillery from the 29th Inf Div. They are a Virginia National Guard component.

I believe you guys are correct with the 103rd Inf Regt. Great detective work !! :)

Chris

No, I think it's a perfect match to the 103rd and even shows the same number of symbols inside the X. Also a closer inspection to the bottom of the crest does appear to have a scroll. It's hard to see due to being worn off from rubbing on the shell, but I can see something is there now that I know what I'm looking at.

I thought it looked like part of a scroll in the first pictures you posted, now we know.

The symbols inside the x are actually the fleur de lis.

RC

USMC-RECON0321

I thought it looked like part of a scroll in the first pictures you posted, now we know.

The symbols inside the x are actually the fleur de lis.

RC

RC,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know what to call those "fleur de lis"! I love to learn!

Troy

The 103rd descended from the famous 20th Maine Vol Inf, as at Gettysburg, as in the movie.

The azure saltire ("blue X") is a common heraldic motif in Army DUIs, used to denote Civil War service (from the CSA battle flag).

USMC-RECON0321

The 103rd descended from the famous 20th Maine Vol Inf, as at Gettysburg, as in the movie.

The azure saltire ("blue X") is a common heraldic motif in Army DUIs, used to denote Civil War service (from the CSA battle flag).

Great information!! Thanks for the education!

Troy

• 3 years later...
mainenationalguardhistory

Yes, that's the distinctive unit insignia for the 133rd Engineer Battalion, descended from the 103rd Infantry Regiment, which, during World War II, was part of the 43rd Division in the Pacific Theater of Operations.

Here's their lineage: http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/eng/0133enbn.htm

And here's the heraldry: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/HeraldryMulti.aspx?CategoryId=8305&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services

- Jonathan

If no scroll at the bottom, maybe its 12th Corps...

My thought also, but you can see the fleur-de-lis's if you look very closely.

No scroll could just be the difference between the DUI and the COA.