$13k for CW MOH in Canada

Bluehawk

Germany does not allow buying or selling Nazi memorabilia.

How do you get on?

Certainly you can buy all Nazi to order in Germany, Quite legally.

Only law must be kept: http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stgb/__86.html / http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stgb/__86a.html

Trader in Germany:

https://www.weitze.net/

http://auktionen-kalks.de/

http://www.huesken.com/

In Germany it is because of the history, not because of the soldier and honour.

In America it is because of soldier and honour.

Nothing mistake!

445th Bomb Group

While the United States prosecutes people who bring the Medal of Honor back to this country, other countries at least make an effort to protect their high valor awards as part of their national history. Michael Ashcroft is a well-known British collector of Victoria Crosses who had purchased more than 140 of them over the years. When the medals of Australian Captain Alfred Shout, who was awarded the Victoria Cross for actions at Lone Pine in Gallipoli in 1915, came up for auction in 2006 Lord Ashcroft wrote:

“ I did not bid for the VC on behalf of the trust when it was offered at Bonhams and Goodmans in Sidney as I realized that the Australian authorities would never allow it to leave their country: indeed the medal seems destined to join the eight other Australian VCs from Gallipoli at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.”

Whether all Australian VCs are prohibited from leaving the country I can’t say, but this was Lord Ashcroft’s opinion regarding Captain Shout’s medals. Incidentally, Captain Shout’s medals, which in addition to his VC included a Military Cross and campaign medals from the Boer War, sold at auction for AU$1,214,500. They are on display at the Australian War Memorial.

Whether all Australian VCs are prohibited from leaving the country I can’t say, but this was Lord Ashcroft’s opinion regarding Captain Shout’s medals. Incidentally, Captain Shout’s medals, which in addition to his VC included a Military Cross and campaign medals from the Boer War, sold at auction for AU$1,214,500. They are on display at the Australian War Memorial.

Correct. No Australian Victoria Cross can leave the country without official approval as they they are classified as "Movable cultural heritage" and protected by legislation which controls the export of important cultural heritage objects, so that our irreplaceable heritage is not lost to the nation forever.

From the Government Website:

Not all cultural heritage objects can be exported. Objects subject to export control are of exceptional importance in the development of Australian society and culture.

Two categories of material are controlled:

Class A Objects:

consist of Victoria Cross medals awarded to Australian servicemen as listed at Part V11A in the Protection of Movable Cultural Heritage Amendments Regulations 1998

Despite this at first appearances being a good thing, it does limit the ability of a Living Veteran selling their medal overseas if they wished. When Keith Payne (the Victoria Cross recipient for actions in Vietnam) was first considering selling his medal. He was advised that he could not sell it overseas.

445th Bomb Group

Correct. No Australian Victoria Cross can leave the country without official approval as they they are classified as "Movable cultural heritage" and protected by legislation which controls the export of important cultural heritage objects, so that our irreplaceable heritage is not lost to the nation forever.

Despite this at first appearances being a good thing, it does limit the ability of a Living Veteran selling their medal overseas if they wished. When Keith Payne (the Victoria Cross recipient for actions in Vietnam) was first considering selling his medal. He was advised that he could not sell it overseas.

But this is the difference between US and Australian law in regards to their highest valor awards. The law doesn’t prevent W/O Payne from selling his VC; it simply says that the medal has to stay in Australia. US law prevents the Medal of Honor from being sold in the United States, effectively forcing them out of this country. If an Australian collector purchased a VC there wouldn’t be any restriction on that, as long as it stayed in the country, but a collector in the US known to possess a MOH could have it confiscated. If an Australian VC found its way into an overseas collection and was purchased by a collector who returned it to Australia, that act might be praised, but in the US bringing a MOH back to this country could result in criminal prosecution. I personally have no desire to own a Medal of Honor, but there is so much ‘feel good’ or ‘protect the public’ legislation in this country that its become ridiculous.

That said, looking over the incredible array of valor and campaign medals awarded to Keith Payne (Including a Distinguished Service Cross from the United States) he would have no trouble finding a buyer for that group, in Australia or anywhere else!

I'm sure there are many collectors in the United States who had purchased MoH legally before the law came into effect that would like to just donate them to proper military museums. As this SVA the law is written today this would be a very risky transaction to say the least.

Johnny R.

Even if an indivdual from another country wanted to donate the medal to a museum in the states it would cause problems. This means that once the medal leaves the states it is unlikely to ever return. This makes no sense to me if someone wants to donate a MOH they should not have to worry about the FBI breaking down the door in the wee morning hours

Members,

Logic and just plain common sense does not prevail today I'm afraid. I agree with you 100%.

Johnny R. :wacko:

Not quite correct. As has been pointed out in a roundabout fashion in other posts, only one industrialized nation regulates in any way the buying and selling of military medals - Germany does not allow buying or selling Nazi memorabilia. So that's how we "honor" the MOH - in the exact same way Germany deals with Nazi medals.

SVA was not written to honor our heroes... quite the contrary ... I pray that someday common sense will return to Washington D.C. on this matter... but then again.

That said, looking over the incredible array of valor and campaign medals awarded to Keith Payne (Including a Distinguished Service Cross from the United States) he would have no trouble finding a buyer for that group, in Australia or anywhere else!

He did sell it, about five years ago for a a rumoured 1.5 Million!!!!!!!