These boots were made for walkin'.....

Sabrejet

Just before June 6th, as usual, some American paratroopers made the customary commemorative jump around Ste Mere Eglise then hung around the town for the next few days (with a number of splints and casts, I might add, due to strong crosswinds! :pinch: )

Anyway, a number of them, from different units, formed an Honor Guard for the Peace Ceremony in Ste Mere on June 6th. For this they wore their regular ACUs and assorted berets (some of which were gravity-defying works of art..see pics!) Anyway...I was standing right next to them and could not help but notice their boots...all ostensibly the same, but almost all different! No two seemed to be alike. So what's going on here? Does the US Army no longer issue a standard boot to its troops? Are they free to purchase their own, as long as they conform to a basic standard? Personally, I think they look quite cool and would make great "leisure" boots...wouldn't mind a pair myself! Which brand should I be looking out for?!

post-8022-1339345687.jpgpost-8022-1339345666.jpg

The issue boots come in summer and winter versions, then there are numerous manufacturers that make boots that fit the standard. Soldiers are free to purchase their own boots as long as they meet the basic requirements regarding color, number of eyelets, height, etc. It has been this way for a very long time - at least back into the 70s, probably longer. This is how we were allowed to wear Corcorans or jump boots, which were not an issue item at the time.

It gets even more confusing when you look at the boots worn in the combat zones. Several different types of "mountain" boots have been authorized/provided for troops in Afghanistan, some on a trial basis, some a little more permanently.

It does seem a little odd that they didn't take a little more care for an honor guard, but we must realize that the modern US military is more about combat performance than they are about looking spit-shined, starched & pressed. This is beginning to change however, and is a hot topic in Army Times and on all the on-line chat rooms, etc.

As for the berets, well, I have no answer for that except to say that it seems like soldiers in all armies like to individualize their headgear. Not saying it's right, just sayin'. ;)

Steve

To expand on this the Marines and the Air Force have there own versions as well.The AF boots are a sage green in color,The USMC issue have the EGA embossed on them.I saw a pair of boots a dealer had the other day and he said they were from an officer who recently returned from Afghanistan and they were made by Reebok.Desert tan high top type tennis shoe(I mean boot).There are endless versions out by Rocky,Corcoran,Belville,Wellco,Altima,Danner etc.

I find the picture intresting with the berets.The one soldier seems to be wearing a Special Forces patch with Airborne tab and a maroon beret with light green flash.Is the standard airborne beret worn if assigned to an SF unit by a non SF qualified individual??I recall back in the early days non qualified were wearing the candy stripe and this is no longer done.Just curious as I find the picture intresting with the mixture of berets and insignias of Paratroopers and Rangers

I always give an Army Lieutenant Colonel who works with me a hard time about his boots that are more tennis shoe than military boot. I told him he should have had Nike stitched on the sides. His response was that Nike makes military boots as well, but they cost nearly $150!

I love my Bellevilles and refuse to wear any other boots but them (besides corcorans and bates, but that is a different story and color).

post-8022-1339345851.jpgpost-8022-1339345870.jpg

"I always give an Army Lieutenant Colonel who works with me a hard time about his boots that are more tennis shoe than military boot. I told him he should have had Nike stitched on the sides. His response was that Nike makes military boots as well, but they cost nearly $150! "

The end pair of boots are Nike Assaults

Call me old-fashioned, but I like soldiers on parade to walk past me with a crisp crunch-crunch-crunch under-foot rather than an almost inaudible dull thud!! :w00t:

Call me old-fashioned, but I like soldiers on parade to walk past me with a crisp crunch-crunch-crunch under-foot rather than an almost inaudible dull thud!! :w00t:

Also like seeing the high shined jump boots on the Paras,Rangers and SF.

Then I take it that the Black Jump boots are now worn only with the class A uniforms, and under no circumstance are they worn with fatique items, for instance when on parade or during say awards ceremonies, or for that matter not even during Jumps ?

Also like seeing the high shined jump boots on the Paras,Rangers and SF.

Anyone interested in betting on when highly shined boots and pressed uniforms come back into service?

Anyone interested in betting on when highly shined boots and pressed uniforms come back into service?

Some might say the sooner the better! I noticed that when "off duty" about the town, some of the soldiers were wearing foliage green fleece jackets...civilian style but with velcro'd US ARMY and name tapes. Very nice, very "casual" (I'd wear one myself!) but not particularly "military"...if you know what I mean?

The Tan Beret signifies a Ranger Battalion, cant tell which Bat as the scroll blurs when I enlarge it. Yes the Maroon Beret with the 10th flash is what support personnel wear that are not tabbed. In 1991 when I was assigned to 3rd SFG as support we were issued green berets with full flash. In 1993 I believe we switched to maroon berets. Back before 1984 (That was the year they created the 18 series MOS and SF because part of the "regular army") support personnel wore green berets with a small stripe of the flash color sewn below the SF crest, hence the term candy stripe.

When I got out this is what I wore

100_1624.jpg

This is my fathers from 10th, the group he retired with:

100_1625.jpg

As far as SFG standards, we only wore shined boots for dog and pony shows. We were told we train everyday like we were in a FOB, brush shine only, no high and tights and never salute an officer in garrison.

In regard to the shape of the Berets, well for soldiers who earn them (Maroon, Tan, Green) it is a source of pride how you wear it. I spent many hours wetting, shaving, shaping my berets.

I hated it when the Army went to black berets for everyone, I saw so many worn like chefs hats, flying saucers, and the like arrgghh! It was infuriating!

I always give an Army Lieutenant Colonel who works with me a hard time about his boots that are more tennis shoe than military boot. I told him he should have had Nike stitched on the sides. His response was that Nike makes military boots as well, but they cost nearly $150!

A bargain compared to the cost of Oakley branded combat boots.

It's going to be awhile, you simply cannot, no matter how hard you try, make that roughout shine. :think:

The next fashion will be a cammie top with loooong tabs at the sides, to readily expand as a maternity blouse. For all personnel including professed males and the in-betweeners.

The next fashion will be a cammie top with loooong tabs at the sides, to readily expand as a maternity blouse. For all personnel including professed males and the in-betweeners.

Will it be issued in cammie pink or blue? Maybe a mixture for the colors for the "mystery moms". :lol:

I've never worn one, but it seems to be an acceptable "expression" of one's Independance! Kinda like the WWII t-cups. :lol:

In the British Army, berets are worn small and flat...the French display the two tightening cords at the rear...the internal insignia stiffener in US berets allows for the creation of that exaggerated sweep. Many I saw were pulled way down over the right eye/ear!! Each army has its own distinctive style.

.......... Many I saw were pulled way down over the right eye/ear........

Do you think we "Grey Panthers" could get away with that? :lol: OH, Too be young. :rolleyes: