Grenade body, what is this?

hawkdriver

I picked this up with a current fuse shoved down in the hole, obviously didn't go with it. It was labeled as a WWI grenade. I know it's not a WWI US grenade, but other than that, I don't know what it is. One end has a non threaded hole, probably the bottom and the other end is threaded as it has a plug in it, probably the fuse end. I have it next to a WWII training grenade for size comparison.

2qbhlbk.jpg

23ht361.jpg

jtbhhf.jpg

Well I am not sure about this one, and therefore I have not commented. I do like it though. I have a feeling it is pre-WW2. Early HE grenades were painted gray and black. I can't explain the un-threaded hole, maybe it was de-milled and used as a thowing dummy. Still I would love to have it, nice find!!

Chris

It has the shape and size of a British Mills Bomb, but those have plug holes on the side from what I can research. I know almost nothing about grenades outside of the MK II through current series, so I'm in the dark.

My gut feeling is that it's a throwing dummy. I know that back in the WW1 era, some college ROTC units had grenade throwing classes.

My gut feeling is that it's a throwing dummy. I know that back in the WW1 era, some college ROTC units had grenade throwing classes.

But why the plug, you think that isn't original to the grenade?