Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1328008417.jpg

post-344-1328008438.jpg

Ken,

That video of Normandie is great! Makes me want to get on a plane and visit again.

I also liked that story about shoreing up the cliffs at pointe du Hoc. It would be terrible if that blockhaus rolled off the top!

About six months back I was driving around in an older neighborhood when I saw half a dozen marston matting sheets left on the sidewalk for the garbage men to pick up. These are the metal sheets with holes in them used to make airfield matting so aircraft could take off and land on muddy ground.

I knew they would'nt fit in my car and it was an off day for the garbage men so I made a dash to my friend's house to borrow his pick-up truck.

When I got back (two hours later) they were gone! Someone beat me to it! Damn! At least I know they didn't go to the dump...

Jon.

Hi Jon, I see the PSP plate all over here on a regular basis so much of it was abandoned here when the temporary airfields moved on, probably more of a cost and effort to try and lift it all again than just have new supplies going straight to the new location.

Nearly every week there are pieces of it thrown in the village dumpster, such as the rusty bent up piece seen above, Also in the second photo about ten sections of it just resting against the wall in the driveway of a house, funnily enough the opposite side of this house is where it's recorded that Maj. Dick Winters landed by chute on D-Day.

This summer I made it back into the cliff-top blockhouse at Pointe du hoc for the first time in maybe twenty years maybe as it's been behind wire and not accessible for most of that time.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 31 January 2012

General Apathy
Ken,

This was a beautiful video. It makes me want to visit there even more. Thanks for showing us such a beautiful place.

...Kat

Hi Kat, really pleased that you enjoyed the video clip of Normandy, it is inviting is't it. :lol:;)

ken

General Apathy
Y'all should come visit Wales too...there's always a welcome in the hillside! ;)

Hi Ian, thanks for the link to your part of the world ' Land of my Fathers ' :lol::lol:

ken

General Apathy
Ken...your rear driveway would look great if you replaced the gravel with Marston matting!! ;)

Hi Ian, I could really do with doing something with my read drive the winter rain and vehicles passing in and out has turned it into a quagmire :crying: :w00t: , this summer maybe I was thinking about laying those precast blocks that are made with patterend holes allowing grass to grow in the spaces but the stone supports the wheels.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1328019139.jpg

Now I know why you moved there. But I missed Chateau de Lewis. Robert

Hi Robert, well maybe you blinked my ' chateau du lewis ' was there to see, take your time have another look I have attached it again above.

ken

Hi Ian, thanks for the link to your part of the world ' Land of my Fathers ' :lol::lol:

ken

And your father's too Ken. Thought it might stir your Welsh blood? (boyo!) ;)

Y'all should come visit Wales too...there's always a welcome in the hillside! ;)

If Y'all would just lower the tax rates, I'd come and get on your welfare rolls!! I'm unemployed!! :w00t:

General Apathy
And your father's too Ken. Thought it might stir your Welsh blood? (boyo!) ;)

Hi Ian, well it appears from research that I have a melange of ancestry in my background. :blink: :w00t:

ken

Hi Ian, well it appears from research that I have a melange of ancestry in my background. :blink: :w00t:

ken

Well at least your right arm has "Made in Wales" on it, so to speak!! :lol:

General Apathy
If Y'all would just lower the tax rates, I'd come and get on your welfare rolls!! I'm unemployed!! :w00t:

Hi JS, well amigo I'm sure that you could round up a few dinero if you wanted to visit here.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 2 February 2012

General Apathy

Hi Everyone .................

It just announced on a UK radio news report today that a German man has finally opened and eaten the contents of a can of American lard he was given 64 years ago.

The report stated that he had always wanted to know what it tasted like, the laboratory test report stated that it was finest quality pork fat and still edible and in first rate condition, so the German man cooked up some food with it.

His funeral is next week, no sorry only joking. -_-

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/year+l...Journal+-+News)

ken

Hi Everyone .................

It just announced on a UK radio news report today that a German man has finally opened and eaten the contents of a can of American lard he was given 64 years ago.

The report stated that he had always wanted to know what it tasted like, the laboratory test report stated that it was finest quality pork fat and still edible and in first rate condition, so the German man cooked up some food with it.

His funeral is next week, no sorry only joking. -_-

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/year+l...Journal+-+News)

ken

Ken

Maybe you could help the old boy out by getting a couple of C-ration hamburgers or pork patties out of the shoe box???

Could be a great BBQ in the making

;)

RD

General Apathy
You are too funny....

Not really Kat, that was awful of me, but sometimes you have to take the hits where you can, we are all heading that way someday, and I will remember everyone with fond regards.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1328224343.jpg

Ken

Maybe you could help the old boy out by getting a couple of C-ration hamburgers or pork patties out of the shoe box???

Could be a great BBQ in the making

;)

RD

Hi Ron, well I was eating these rations back when they were only five to ten years old, the ones I liked at any rate, I always traded off the damn meatballs and a few other of the unsavoury choices, but now they are forty-three years old they are time capsules of the Viet-nam war variety.

Loved the chicken-noodle, pound cake, mixed fruit and a couple of other choices, always gave away the cancer sticks and the pork and ground beef options.

Some of this stuff could well out-live me with all the preservatives in them.

ken

His funeral is next week, no sorry only joking.

I should stop reading posts like this at work ..... got some strange looks from my colleague when I started out laughing.

Erwin

Ken lives in the land of Haute Cuisine in the midst of all that legendary Norman dairy produce....but he still makes his omlettes from 65 year old GI surplus powdered eggs! :yucky:

Ken lives in the land of Haute Cuisine in the midst of all that legendary Norman dairy produce....but he still makes his omlettes from 65 year old GI surplus powdered eggs! :yucky:

It's that 65 year old goat that gives milk that bothers me!

If Ken doesn't drink it quickly.......it's CHEESE!! :w00t:

General Apathy
Ken, how are temperatures in Normandy? We've had some rather cold nights and days over here...

Hi Johan, well so far we have been lucky it's been dry and spring sunshine each day, a chill wind blowing a little, but it's possible to get out and about and do some outdoor chores etc. Hell of a lot better than the two previous years when we had 10 - 15 inches of snow on the ground for a month each year.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 3 February 2012

General Apathy
I should stop reading posts like this at work ..... got some strange looks from my colleague when I started out laughing.

Erwin

Hi Erwin, keep your shirt clean get yourself a baby bib if your going to be spitting coffee whilst laughing, and keep on laughing it's the medicine of life along with breathing that's supposed to be good for you as well. -_- :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
Thanks Ken, we've just had 2-3 inches of snow this afternoon....

Hi Johan, oh dear too much information, if your looking for sympathy it's in the dictionary. ;)

ken