Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1325202666.jpg

The damaged vessel was LST-289. Here's a photo from a different angle and a link for further reading.

post-8022-1325198903.gif

http://www.lstmemorial.org/wayitwas/wayitwas.htm

Hi Ian, here's another shot of the LST-289, Sue & Mike friends of mine bought one of the houses in the 1970's seen behind the LST, in the town Dartmouth there is a museum and it has other photo's on display of the LST's moored in the river both before and after the tragic exercise.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 29 December 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1325203261.jpg

USN LST's continued .............

I believe this is a shot of the LST's moored up prior to Operation Tiger, nearly all housing and the town of Dartmouth are on the left bank of this photo. On the lesser populated right bank there is a jetty and a plaque commemorating all the secret operations launched from this jetty during WWII dropping spies and saborters into France by fishing vessels or high speed torpedo craft.

ken

Ken, thanks for the link. :thumbsup: http://www.lstmemorial.org/wayitwas/wayitwas.htm

The last company I worked for here in the Fatherland for over twenty years, before it went "buns-up", I had two bosses, both now passed away, one was an officer in the Afrika Korps, almost lost his right arm when the Brits blew his tank out from under him, he loved to talk about his experiences, and my second boss, of course I asked them, he was in the Kriegsmarine/Navy also an officer on a "E Boot", or E Boat, and that's all I could get out of him, I didn't press him, I mean after all, he was my boss, and if he wanted to talk about it he would, but he didn't. :( The chances of him being on that raid would be very small, but you never know, and we will never know.

General Apathy
Ken, thanks for the link. :thumbsup: http://www.lstmemorial.org/wayitwas/wayitwas.htm

Hi Pat, thanks for your post but sadly the credit is not mine, the link was an addition by Ian and was repeated in my post replying to Ian's.

Thanks Ian. :lol:

ken

Hi Pat, thanks for your post but sadly the credit is not mine, the link was an addition by Ian and was repeated in my post replying to Ian's.

ken

C' etait mon plaisir, mon ami! :thumbsup:

ken

Sorry Ian, my deepest apologies, but you know you Brits look all the same.... :lol:

well you do look a little different since you took off your "RED COATS".

Are you sure they removed thier Redcoats? Somehow I have this feeling Ian sits in front of his computer dressed like this, drinking tee and chasing it with gin, it is hard to "let go" of the good old days when the world was in order. :lol:

badrev2.jpg

Okay, I'll quit now, this is getting WAY off topic. ;)

Are you sure they removed thier Redcoats? Somehow I have this feeling Ian sits in front of his computer dressed like this, drinking tee and chasing it with gin, it is hard to "let go" of the good old days when the world was in order. :lol:

badrev2.jpg

Okay, I'll quit now, this is getting WAY off topic. ;)

Aw gee...just when we were startin' to have some fun! I'll have you know I do not wear a powdered wig. My hair is naturally that colour! ( and notice that COLOUR is spelled correctly!!)

General Apathy
well you do look a little different since you took off your "RED COATS".

Hi Robert, Pat and Ian, take a look at my concise gallery of ' Then & Now ' shots that I started at Christmas for my friend over at the Milweb sales site, and there's no mention of redcoats just images. :lol::lol::lol: :thumbsup:

http://www.milweb.net/news.php?type=galler...&cat_id=349

ken

Hi Robert, Pat and Ian, take a look at my concise gallery of ' Then & Now ' shots that I started at Christmas for my friend over at the Milweb sales site, and there's no mention of redcoats just images. :lol::lol::lol: :thumbsup:

http://www.milweb.net/news.php?type=galler...&cat_id=349

ken

Ken, I really like those Now & Then pictures, darn good job.:thumbsup: I also like to go into Milweb now and then and look at the adverts, tanks, trucks, jeeps and motorcycles I can't afford. :crying:

By the way, I just looked in there, they DO have Redcoats for only 190 GBP's. http://www.dorsetmilitarysurplus.co.uk/pro...|V00bBB6CVEE|8E

Dear Ken (et al!)

Well I had some important jobs to do this afternoon.

And I have done NONE of them!! :devil:

THANK YOUI!

What a fantastic thread.

I stayed in Carentan (St Hilaire Petit-Ville) in 2009 and enjoyed many of the sites you mentioned. The St Maire Eglise market was a highlight - I was very surprised at the prices and the knowledge of some of the sellers (particularly the M1 helmet sellers)

Seeing the 'cobbler's equipment' reminded me of when I asked the seller of a similar arrangement whether he had another - or was that his last.

My photo memories from the trip are mostly found here: Normandy Shots 2009

A quick tip for photographing the collections: Instead of putting them in a big line, bunch them up - side by side rather than end to end. Then move away from them and use the camera's zoomy function.

Here's one of my favourites from Normandy - on the way to Arromoanche, where there was a 'help for heroes' flag event. Small flags laid by chilkdren. There were a lot there but doing what I said above - it makes it even more impresssive (I think IMHO)

Once again, thank you. Looking forward to 2014!

3610610121_30c2a7d543.jpg

Ken, I really like those Now & Then pictures, darn good job.:thumbsup: I also like to go into Milweb now and then and look at the adverts, tanks, trucks, jeeps and motorcycles I can't afford. :crying:

By the way, I just looked in there, they DO have Redcoats for only 190 GBP's. http://www.dorsetmilitarysurplus.co.uk/pro...|V00bBB6CVEE|8E

Pat...be honest...you're really hankering after one of those red tunics aren't you?! Welsh Guards? Coldstream Guards....?! ;)

Pat...be honest...you're really hankering after one of those red tunics aren't you?! Welsh Guards? Coldstream Guards....?! ;)

Ian, not really, gimme an old salty M65 field jacket anytime. ;)

But I know why the British wore red jackets.

The French general asked: 'Why do you English officers all wear red coats? Don't you know the red material makes you easy targets for us to shoot?'

In his debonair English way, the major informed the general that the reason English officers wear red coats is so that if they are shot, the blood won't show, and the men they are leading won't panic.

And that is why from that day to now, all French army officers wear brown pants.

General Apathy
A very timely intervention Ken. We were on the verge of "The Boston Tea Party II" ! :lol: Great then & nows by the way! :thumbsup:

Hi Ian, thanks for running the fort again, I was out at a soiree again this evening, that's four in a row I have this week. I was the only English person at this French family soiree, it was good fun but I made the quip ' I know why you invited me this evening, your televisions broken isn't it ' which had them all laughing even more. :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 30 December 2011

General Apathy

By the way, I just looked in there, they DO have Redcoats for only 190 GBP's.

Pat, I think Ian would be able to buy a cheap white medics coat from his local hospital and dye it red for you much cheaper that way. :crying: :lol:

ken

General Apathy
Dear Ken (et al!)

Well I had some important jobs to do this afternoon.

And I have done NONE of them!! :devil:

THANK YOUI!

What a fantastic thread.

Hi Reg, and a hearty welcome for your post here :thumbsup: , you had important jobs to do and didn't manage to do any, how do you think I feel when I am sat here till 02.30 of a morning composing this monologue.

You also mention my line of equipment, I hadn't really intended for that to be posted here, it was done for my own entertainment but ended up being included here. I don't have a room in the shack that I can lay stuff out in a line like that, the stuff mostly resides in the shoebox under the bed. :crying:

Anyway thank you for your comments on enjoying it here amongst the nere-do-wells of the forum. :lol::lol:

ken

p.s. Reg don't worry the cobblers joke in your post hadn't gone un-noticed :huh:-_-:wacko:

;)

Pat, I think Ian would be able to buy a cheap white medics coat from his local hospital and dye it red for you much cheaper that way. :crying: :lol:

ken

Ken, thanks for the tip, (white medics coat from Ian's local "hospital") but why even dye it red, I think they look very fashionable in white. ;)

Pat

straightjacket.jpg

Pastels are in for us, Ian!

The 'snow' on top needs some contrast. :w00t:

I think your fine collection of hula-shirts fit the bill perfectly JS!! ;)