AuLion

hink441

Marking of the handle:

post-241-1330878684.jpg

Marking of the blade:

post-241-1330878702.jpg

solcarlus

Yes, here is another excellent example :thumbsup: . Look at the depth of the "U.S.1918" marking on this handle and the distance between the "Au" and the "Lion" marking on the knife's blade solcarlus posted.

Tim

RD,

Ya' beat me to it! :thumbsup:

That is exactly what appears to me, as has been done, and quite professionally at that.

A careful examination reveals just a hint (perhaps 1/8") of the original sloping backcut; and where the more 'squared-off' backcut begins.

That kind out backcut/runout is typical as to what a belt grinder (such as a professional knifemakers' 2" x 72" machine*) would leave, when platen (or hollow) ground with the belt slightly off-tracked; which is the normal method of doing such.

Also notice that the 'grit lines' on the reground blade, are not consistent with the rest of the finish; or in comparison with un-altered examples. In other words, they simply did not take the grind down to a finer grit of belt, nor get to any point of buffing it.

I would strongly surmise that the blade was reground, for one of two reasons (perhaps even both):

A. Cosmetics, as in once being heavily pitted.

B. Could have had a broken tip.

A measurement of the blade OAL, would help to confirm, in any case; though is does not appear as much stock was actually removed.

The re-grind also appears to have been done quite some time ago.

Also keep in mind, that being (quite roughly) sand cast brass*, there is a LOT of room for variation of the "U.S. 1918" marking, that was cast in.

* [And it is my understanding, that the Au Lions' are cast brass; while the American made versions were similarly cast, though, using bronze.]

Everything else about this knuckler appears "as correct" IMHO.

A very nice knife, indeed!

I especially like the (re-purposed sheath). And great catch on that, BTW, TomcatPC.

I wonder if that belt hardware was left intact so as be able to 'rig-mount it' inside of a M1911 A1 holster, as sometimes noticed.

* Stock photo of the 2" x 72" belt grinder that is in my shop:

post-21709-1330887806.jpg

Platen (flat) attachment on the tooling arm; with toolrest (un-mounted) in the foreground.

Kind Regards,

Don.

...there is quite a striking difference in...the distance between the words Au & Lion.

Look at...the distance between the "Au" and the "Lion" marking on the knife's blade solcarlus posted.

Chris & Tim,

I've seen that before, like on this knife sold by a dealer online a while back...

post-70-1330901944.jpg

Gb

Any chance the blade was re-ground changing the back cuts??

Ron,

Don seems to think so (Post No. 30). He's very knowledgeable about the technical aspect of knives; so, if you guys think so, I'll go with that.

I have had this knife for a couple of years and I have never understood the fitting on the scabbard. The scabbard appears to be a MK1 scabbard under the leather with a USGI belt attachment on one side. The other side has what looks like a rifle sling attachment or possibly a British web gear attachment. I was hoping somebody more knowledgeable than me can provide an answer. I can't really tell what it is. This knife was supposedly used by a 502 trooper in WW2. Thanks for looking.

Chris

SANY0153.jpg

Chris,

Compare your scabbard with the one on this photo posted by Saskatoon Light Infantry a while back ;)

post-70-1330902897.jpg

Reference - Post #57 here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry469195

Chris & Tim,

I've seen that before, like on this knife sold by a dealer online a while back...

Also illustrated by fabnatcyr's outstanding theater knife:

2heamfp.jpg

I took some more pics this morning, I hope these show the blade well. I really feel this knife is old and original. But it does appear to have some work done on it.

Chris

SANY0180.jpg

SANY0165.jpg

SANY0163.jpg

SANY0159.jpg

Chris

Sure looks re-ground to me.I agree with Don as my first thought was it may have been re-ground to remove rust or pitting.I see the graying of the blade(near the ricasso and spine) and rust near the Au Lion mark but then its a different color or patina on the blade grinds.I also noticed the little egde of the old/original grind on the left of the blade near the lions head as Don pointed out in his excellent post.I too think its right but Im way from being a pro on the knucks.

RD

The blade has been re-ground. The Au Lion grips were sand cast and they range from excellent to so rough you can barely get your hand inside the knuckle bow, this grip is on the poorer side of casting quality, but I'd say its original.

Looking at the additional photos and reading some of the other comments, I believe the knife is original. Those reground 'cut backs' and my lack of experience with seeing variations in the model and maker markings had me incorrectly thinking otherwise at first.

Tim

Could very well be an old belt. I really like the EGA on the top. Very nice !!

Chris

Thanks Chris

On the back piece you can see an embossed line on the top and bottom of the leather.Much like the lines on the issue garrison belts worn on the Alphas.Also has the look of the same color of the garrison belts.

Here's mine for comparison :rolleyes:

I like your knife and it has very interestng cut-backs on the blade. :thumbsup:

Chris

Good observation Chris.

Yeah, they really stagger-stepped the backcuts on that one!

IIRC, the M1918 MK1, was initially/originally contracted to Au Lion, simply because they were able to produce them in short order/quickly tool-up.

It could also have something to do with GB's keen observation of the "French M-1916 Le Vengeur knife, the daddy of the M1918 Mk 1".

The various US contracts, were not able to be fulfilled prior to the end of WWI, thus not 'really' issued at that time. (As far as most currently available info.)

Thus they remained, in inventory, and were primarily issued in WWII.

Don.