Seven of our finest have been lost

rr01

I live in Oceanside, where this unit is based (I don't which unit, but it is one of the HMLA squadrons at Pendleton), and every time I hear this kind of news I wonder if it's someone I knew, or met at church, or even a member of this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
usmcaviator

I knew all 7 personally, having just left the unit a few months ago. I am not over stating a description of these Marines when I say that they were among the "best" aviators in the H-1 community. Their loss is devastating to the H-1 family and MAG-39. Maj Tom "Bull" Budrejko was the XO of HMLA-469, slated for command, and was widely known as "the best" cobra pilot around. He wrote much of our tactics manuals that we treat as gospel. He was a graduate of MAWTS-1 and a MAWTS instructor. I looked up to him, as did anyone who flew with him. Capt Mike "Tommy" Quin, was my Flightline OIC when I was Maintenance Officer. He was my highest ranked Captain I had the pleasure to lead, and he cared extremely about his Marines. Just a quality kid on the up and up, becoming a "rock star". I flew wing to Capt Anderson, another MAWTS instructor, on many check rides. Professional and smart aviator. 1stLt Cerniglia was doing all that a young Cobra should do, learning and doing well getting ready for his first taste of combat. The crewchiefs were all top of the line gunners and mechanics. I had the honor to spend a lot of time with these young Marines on maintenance hops. Nothing but impressive and their dedication was intense and immense to the mission. All of these men were extremely trained and professional. Many had combat under their belts. Many leave behind wives and children (some unborn).

When you here the "whup-whup" of a Bell helicopter overhead, especially in SoCal....think of these guys, and what they put on the line every day and night for America. They chose to pursue this life and career knowing full well the dangers and consequences of a mishap or combat.

We will continue with heavy hearts even though these 7 can never be replaced. Please always remember their sacrifice.

Semper Fi!

Mike

boisbelleau

I coached Mike Quin when he played youth soccer in Easton PA. I remember him as being a leader on and off the field and I am proud to have known him.

BB

If this altered image is offensive then I am okay to have it removed but I submit it as a small offering for so much that was given. I also have this reminder to myself when friends and associates are lost in this way; that "beat of the blades", that distinctive "whup~whup" that is always so assuring when assurance is sometimes most necessary is a sound that gives faith, a sound I now always refer to as "The Heartbeat of God".

post-54272-1330907173.png