NEED HELP WARRANT OFFICERS UNIFORM !!

ArchangelDM

Can someone look up the crest in Sawiki? It might be an engineers DUI...red/white with what looks like the outline of a box-girder bridge in the centre, motto "Trained Ready"...thanks! :think:

Can someone look up the crest in Sawiki? It might be an engineers DUI...red/white with what looks like the outline of a box-girder bridge in the centre, motto "Trained Ready"...thanks! :think:

Yes Ian, finding what unit the DI would be from will also be a factor in dating this coat. as in the date this DI was autherized.

The 7th Army patch puts him in Germany. The DUI's are for the 317th Engineer Bn. A quick internet search shows that the unit went to Germany in 1951. With no National Defense ribbon, I think you can safely say the coat, as pictured, dates to the very early 50's.

The 7th Army patch puts him in Germany. The DUI's are for the 317th Engineer Bn. A quick internet search shows that the unit went to Germany in 1951. With no National Defense ribbon, I think you can safely say the coat, as pictured, dates to the very early 50's.

The date stamp is 1942 in the jacket

Well as far as the coat goes, Officers unlike Enlistedmen continued to where the same coat as you have here up till 1957, that it may have been worn in the 50s which it may have been is no a big deal. The coat remained in the same appearance and manufacture thoughout those years, one like this made by a Governmental contractor in 1942, will look identical to one made by a governmental contractor in 1954, what makes this coat common is that it is a GI contactor coat as opposed to a privately taliored/made coat, these government contractor officer uniforms where made to be sold basicaly on Army posts all over America,( Officers, Warrant officers included, must purchase their uniforms) These non privatley made officers uniforms would be bought Off the Rack as it where by officers, and tailored to fit by the place he bought it at, ( I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THESE PLACES WHERE CALLED IN THE PRE WWII PERIOD, WWII PERIOD AND THE 1950s, We know them since the 1960s, as The Clothing Sales Store, but they may have had a differant name in the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s,, they may have got there name sometime in post WWII or sometime in the 50s, here I do not know), as these officer uniforms are GI they can be seen for years in a establishment without being bought, till eventualy some guy buys it, so lets say this WOJG was as it would seem an enlistedman during WWII, he say left the Army he came back in 1950 because of the new War imn Korea, and because of schooling he under took as a civilian Became this time aroud a Warrant officer, he needs to buy his uniforms and goes to the place that sells them, and just picks out his size the coat just happens to be a 1942 dated one, it is what collectors and miltaria sellrs call New Old Stock or NOS, it perfectly good to wear, this of course is just one senario among a few, but that this one you have is more than likely not one worn in WWII is not that bad, as these types are always good to have.

Can you post photos of the rear of the unit crests ? we would like to see the hallmarks on them, this will be an important factor in pinning down the time period, also does any other members know the date the 317th Engineer Battalion was first autherized their DI ?

Yes, I read that in your first post. I was trying to help you date the jacket as pictured/as worn.

Thanks , :thumbsup:

Can you post photos of the rear of the unit crests ? we would like to see the hallmarks on them, this will be an important factor in pinning down the time period, also does any other members know the date the 317th Engineer Battalion was first autherized their DI ?

Will post them tonight after work :thumbsup:

Would also like to add at this point thankyou to everyone helping me with this uniform, and thanks Ian for all of your hardwork

Thanks Guys

:bravo: