Numbered Navy Cross?

Dave

So I had my display case open and was admiring the WW2 Navy Cross from one of my groups and was like: "Hmm...there are some scratches on the end of the 9 o clock arm..." Looking further, they weren't scratches, but the number 1121!

I can't find a reference for Navy Cross numbering...does anyone know about this?

I'll post up some pics once my wife returns with the good camera later today... :pinch:

Dave

I can't tell how 1121 ties in with anything...it's not any part of his service number or any other number I have record of (CSC book, etc.) This medal was presented in June 1945.

Dave

Dave,

Privately engraved or not, it is a first for me, now we will all scramble to check ours. Perhaps these are some of your man's S/N, or has some significance to Nov.21. Whichever it is, please let us know.

I personally dont know what the numbers would mean, but that is one KILLER navy cross :w00t: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Philip

PS: maybe it was done by the person that owned it or maybe the company did it??

Oddly enough, he was awarded the NC and six months later, it was upgraded to the MOH. So, he probably never wore the NC (that I'm aware of) since it was later upgraded. I can't imagine him going and doing some sort of metal stamping to it, especially only having it for six months. And no, the numbers 1121 don't correspond to anything in his file (or his wife's date of birth, or his anniversary, or anything else I'm aware of!)

Dave

Dave,

You have a Mysterious Navy Cross. We know of no other numbered cross, maybe others will come forward with their examples. I'm at a loss for an explanation.

dhcoleterracina

What power you have Dave, I hear safes and butterfly cases being opened across the world. Was there work done on your NC's pin? I'm used to seeing a ball catch not a flat catch.

Dave,

That is one of the most interesting things I've seen a long while! I know that vets had some medals & awards numbered with a serial/service number (an example is I have a WW II Navy Occupation with a rim number stamped on it), but this looks more like official numbering in style, BUT I've never heard of such a thing on a N.C.

It is quite the find! I can't wait to hear from some of the N.C. experts about this, in any case this is a GREAT award and I thank you for sharing it! :twothumbup:

Best wishes,

Joe

OMG! I was so dazzled by the numbering I didn't see that. Looks like a WW I Vic to me, but could be an Air Medal too. It should be the smooth ball catch rather than the barrel style from what I've seen.

Kurt, I admire your clarity. <bowing with respect>

I can't tell how 1121 ties in with anything...it's not any part of his service number or any other number I have record of (CSC book, etc.) This medal was presented in June 1945.

Dave

Dave, If you have the DSC book with the Numbering and recipient, it could possibly be a replaced NC to the recipient of a DSC with the same #. Long shot for sure. Stranger things have happened. It is in the WW1 range as far as no.

DJ

Hi Dave

Someone re-ribboned the medal with a US Army brooch off either a WWI victory medal or a WWII Air Medal.

Kurt

That's interesting! It's only been in 2 collectors hands since coming from the widow. It might make sense to have had the brooch replaced if the medal had been on a bar, but as far as I'm aware, it was never worn; all of his other medals are in their original issue boxes.

Wild.

Dave

Dave, If you have the DSC book with the Numbering and recipient, it could possibly be a replaced NC to the recipient of a DSC with the same #. Long shot for sure. Stranger things have happened. It is in the WW1 range as far as no.

DJ

Interesting theory, but the guy was awarded this in July 1945 and was then upgraded to the MOH in January 1946. He joined the Navy immediately after WW1, and rose through the ranks, becoming a LDO (Limited Duty Officer) when he earned the NC/MOH on the USS FRANKLIN.

Incidentally, these medals were given by the widow for the commissioning of his namesake ship, but they only retained his MOH, and the collector who got them from the widow was allowed to retain everything (the widow passed away shortly thereafter).

Dave

As a point of comparison, here's a pic of a brooch with ball shaped clasp.

Also, I noted that the numbered edge seems more rounded over than the NC's in my collection, where the edges of the arms are definitely beveled.

post-126-1316902765.jpg

post-126-1316902771.jpg

That's interesting! It's only been in 2 collectors hands since coming from the widow. It might make sense to have had the brooch replaced if the medal had been on a bar, but as far as I'm aware, it was never worn; all of his other medals are in their original issue boxes.

Wild.

Dave

That is odd. All I can tell you is that is not a US Navy brooch and I am 100% sure of that.

Kurt

That is odd. All I can tell you is that is not a US Navy brooch and I am 100% sure of that.

Kurt

And it's got a number. Chalk up two for "weirdness"!!

:lol::lol:

Dave,

The brooch is undoubtedly a WWI Victory medal brooch. As for the number on the pendant, do you think it is possibly some sort of ascession number? Either way, based on the number of people that ask "is it numbered?" on navy medals, you might have struck the mother lode!

One thing is for sure. The brooch and the number were NOT done to deceive anyone. I know the previous owner of the group and would say with GREAT CERTAINTY that he would never "jack with" a medal.

Thanks for sharing- this has been REALLY interesting.

Allan

Dave,

Privately engraved or not, it is a first for me, now we will all scramble to check ours. Perhaps these are some of your man's S/N, or has some significance to Nov.21. Whichever it is, please let us know.

November 21 (1943) would be D plus one for the battle of Tarawa. Your medal was awarded in January, 1945, so it probably isn't that. On the other hand, how long did it take between the time of action for which the medal is awarded, and the actual presentation of the medal? Anyone know?

Steve

November 21 (1943) would be D plus one for the battle of Tarawa. Your medal was awarded in January, 1945, so it probably isn't that. On the other hand, how long did it take between the time of action for which the medal is awarded, and the actual presentation of the medal? Anyone know?

Steve

The action where the NC was earned was in March 1945 and it was physically awarded in July. You can read about the action here:

http://www.ussfranklin.org/