WW1 ribbon bar

cattaraugus

cattaraugus

Hi,

I have been searching everywhere to find out what these are, they are from a WW1 US Army vet who did make it to France during the war. I was even checking French medals but so far no luck

post-4406-1302973597.jpg

The ribbon on the left is an unofficial WWI victory ribbon. It is seen on some state medals from the war as well. The ribbon even popped up on some WWII uniforms as well. The ribbon on the right is the VFW service medal ribbon, used on several medals from that organization. Some people here might be able to give you more specifics....

-Ski

Left ribbon was used on several local WW1 service ribbons for many states. I found it on a display board listed as “Allied Colors”. The Right ribbon is used for Past Commander for the VFW. See pics.

post-15093-1302984284.jpg

post-15093-1302984325.jpg

Hi,

I have been searching everywhere to find out what these are, they are from a WW1 US Army vet who did make it to France during the war. I was even checking French medals but so far no luck

The one on your facing left is Manchester, Connecticut, WWI (or the wear's right).

The VFW ribbon does NOT indicate an officer in the VFW....All VFW members are authorized to wear this...it's actually called a "badge".....the smaller bars as shown in the other picture is what identifies the wearer as an officer...the VFW also has a Commendation Medal, although it's gaudy, over-sized, and worn from a neck ribbon in the same color pattern/arrangement...I wear the membership ribbon on my ribbon rack to represent the Commendation Medal, rather than wearing the neck medal itself......as a side note, the Sons of the American Revolution uses one pattern of ribbon for almost all of it's awards....

Mark sends

The one on the left is sometimes called the Inter Allied Victory Medal. I've owned at least two dozen groups with the ribbon on them, but have never seen a medal. I don't know how/why they were issued save for one soldier who mentioned they were given the ribbon when they got off the troopship upon their return to the US...

Dave

RustyCanteen
The one on the left is sometimes called the Inter Allied Victory Medal. I've owned at least two dozen groups with the ribbon on them, but have never seen a medal. I don't know how/why they were issued save for one soldier who mentioned they were given the ribbon when they got off the troopship upon their return to the US...

Dave

The ribbon was commonly used for state/city "victory" awards of WWI. Mostly it was a ribbon only thing, sometimes pops up on unofficial medals too like Teamski mentioned.

Dave

Note the name "Manchester Conn" on the reverse side - covered ID-ing parts and name of person on the medal.

Note the name "Manchester Conn" on the reverse side - covered ID-ing parts and name of person on the medal.

That's pretty cool. I don't think I've seen one of those before, can you post a shot of the front side?

Obviously, not every guy who wore the ribbon was from Manchester, CT. Does anyone have the Laslo book on "Interallied Victory Medals of the Great War"? Since I've seen this one carry close to the same name (though it's not an official Victory Medal, and thus doesn't have that name as an official title) maybe he has mention of it - or at least the ribbon - in his book?

Dave

That's pretty cool. I don't think I've seen one of those before, can you post a shot of the front side?

Obviously, not every guy who wore the ribbon was from Manchester, CT. Does anyone have the Laslo book on "Interallied Victory Medals of the Great War"? Since I've seen this one carry close to the same name (though it's not an official Victory Medal, and thus doesn't have that name as an official title) maybe he has mention of it - or at least the ribbon - in his book?

Dave

Hi, Dave

I meant Conn. not comm

One of the Illinois counties, Champaign County, I believe, used the same ribbon for its WWI service medal. It's clearly a commercial product sold to any organization, government agency, etc, that wanted an off-the-shelf ribbon, so they didn't have to wait for (or pay for) a unique design to be woven.

It seems some non-government organizations used this ribbon. Perhaps to recognize members who served in WW1? I have no information on this medal. Maybe someone recognizes the symbol on front of the medal.

post-895-1303395740.jpg

post-895-1303395754.jpg

It seems some non-government organizations used this ribbon. Perhaps to recognize members who served in WW1? I have no information on this medal. Maybe someone recognizes the symbol on front of the medal.

Interesting! That's the US Army Intelligence Corps branch insignia...first approved in 1962!