Highly decorated Marine ribbon set

emccomas

This set is supposed to be an original ribbon set for a highly decorated Marine Corps Warrant Officer.

Can we identify the Marine from this ribbon set?

Ribbon set just appeared on Ebay, probably won't be there long. Impressive award set.

Item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/medals-ribbons-Navy-Cr...=item20b62a8dca

Seller:

http://myworld.ebay.com/frankolmt/

Pics:

post-12036-1293712529.jpg

Hmmmm...... :think:

The Marine Security Guard Ribbon (bottom row, middle) was not established until 1997 (retroactive to 1949)....

Leatherwringer

I don"t think I have ever seen a star device on a National Defense ribbon....can you get that medal awarded more than once?

Veterans do strange things as I just received a WW2 USMC Jacket with a star device on a WW2 Victory ribbon

I don"t think I have ever seen a star device on a National Defense ribbon....can you get that medal awarded more than once?

Veterans do strange things as I just received a WW2 USMC Jacket with a star device on a WW2 Victory ribbon

Absolutely! You see plenty of them with guys who were credited with their original NDSM during DS/DS and then again after 9/11. Occasionally, you'll see a real "old timer" with two stars for Vietnam, DS, and then 9/11...but those guys are mostly gone by now...

Dave

Leatherwringer
Absolutely! You see plenty of them with guys who were credited with their original NDSM during DS/DS and then again after 9/11. Occasionally, you'll see a real "old timer" with two stars for Vietnam, DS, and then 9/11...but those guys are mostly gone by now...

Dave

Dave...you are correct my friend! I just went and did some searching and found the same info!

now.....a star on a WW2 Victory medal................I think that on is on the veteran :D

The star on the National Defense Service Medal is completely appropriate although I believe originally a second award was designated by an Oak Leaf Cluster (Korea and Vietnam awards). I think the regs changed to the bronze star sometime during the Vietnam era and as Dave posted above, it is not that uncommon to see some old timers with two bronze stars representing service during the Vietnam era, Desert Shield/Desert Storm and post-9/11. The NDSM has been awarded for four distinct periods (Korean War era, Vietnam era, DS/DS and War On Terror) but I doubt anyone would have qualified for the ribbon with three bronze stars.

As to the star device being worn on the WWII Victory ribbon, that has been discussed on this forum before. I think the consensus is that it was never officially authorized but that it was fairly common to find and that it was worn to signify the recipient had served overseas during the war. It was "unofficially" official much like the way you sometimes find period uniforms with a WWI Army Of Occupation ribbon instead of the WWII version and also some uniforms, usually Marines, with a China Occupation ribbon (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90251&hl=china+occupation).

Notice the "ganged" stars on the GCM, and the "freshly pushed together" look about the ribbons.

I would agree with the consensu here, absent some kind of provenance, but regarding the "ganged" stars on the GC medal....those are simply made as one piece instead of three separate stars. I have a modern USMC Colonels uniform(directly from him) and several of his ribbons have multiple stars such as those made as one piece. I'm sure it makes it easier to attach than three separate ones. He also has a star on his Nat. Defense Service ribbon.

Leatherwringer
As to the star device being worn on the WWII Victory ribbon, that has been discussed on this forum before. I think the consensus is that it was never officially authorized but that it was fairly common to find and that it was worn to signify the recipient had served overseas during the war. It was "unofficially" official much like the way you sometimes find period uniforms with a WWI Army Of Occupation ribbon instead of the WWII version and also some uniforms, usually Marines, with a China Occupation ribbon (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90251&hl=china+occupation).

great info! I got lazy there for a minute and did not us my Militaria Forum Search-Fu! thanks for propping me up!

Agree, concur. Put together. (See how 'squished' that PUC is?...NO Marine I know would let his ribbon look like that, he'd either buy another one or fix that one...).

The multiple stars thing isn't an issue, those 'ganged' stars are what I use on my own ribbons. IIRC, though, one of the 'rules' is that if you use them on one ribbon, you are supposed to use them on ALL your ribbons. Interestingly, I've never seen them on the RVN campaign ribbon.

One other thing that "jumps" out at me...our alleged WO never did a 'float'? I see he has one 'long' overseas tour ribbon but NO 'Sea Service Deployment' ribbon. Odd. (Not a deal killer by itself...but taken as a whole with everything else...).

Brig, your prices are CHEAP. LOL. That rack complete for one I'll bet is 10 bucks easy. Those stupid stars add up quick!

And of course, the ebay police are hard at work:

"This listing (140495195594) has been removed, or this item is not available."