• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 devilstoothpick

devilstoothpick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 116,614
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 01:10 PM

How exactly did that work - Cigarettes are in rations and matches - why are Zippos so prevalent from the 40's on how could they possibly be used in the field? 

#2 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:18 PM

How exactly did that work - Cigarettes are in rations and matches - why are Zippos so prevalent from the 40's on how could they possibly be used in the field? 

Hi,  here's a quote from the internet regarding Zippo lighters, lots of people will agree with it, lots will call it fantasy, try speaking to Viet-Nam vets they might tell you from the horses mouth . . . . . . . . . . . . ;)

Cigar pipe Insert[edit]. The article doesn't mention that there is a cigar insert for making lighting ... I have a new lighter whose case is marked "B 08" and the internals are marked "C 08", which are both only a few months old in terms of production. ... tie a shoelace around the insert and dip it in the gas tank of a Jeep to refill it.

regards lewis.

#3 militbuff

militbuff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,945
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:22 PM

I remember a WWII GI many years ago told me he used to dip his zippo in a jeeps gas tank to wet the cotton wadding.

Edited by militbuff, 19 October 2019 - 02:23 PM.

#4 devilstoothpick

devilstoothpick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 116,614
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:24 PM

Seems like every film of infantry  be it hollywood or news reels guys are using Zippos - I have a few that I've owed from the 70's at least - and like the old half and half tins 

it's the same old shinola - the fluid is the same like the pocket warmers  - no way heating oil or gasoline were used in these - who the heck used these? 

#5 VMI88

VMI88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 265
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:02 AM

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Zippo fluid is just white gas - the same thing used today in Coleman lanterns and stoves - and is essentially just unleaded gasoline without all the additives. Ordinary unleaded gasoline can be used in place of white gas, though it will gum things up more quickly. Older forms of gasoline didn't have as many additives as we have today, so this may not have been as much of a problem in World War 2.

#6 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,267
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

Our CG cutter spent most of its Market Time patrolling in Area 9 that covered the south tip of Viet Nam and up the west coast to the Cambodian border.  This area was very shallow and the draft of our class cutter made it the correct choice for the area.  The cutter had a small ships store that maintained its inventory with the weekly supply ship run from Subic Bay.

Each morning we would be hove to and our USN Swift Boats would come along side for breakfast, fuel,  ammo, crew change, and ships store run for the local US Army special forces outposts  that the swift boats had contact with. The SWIFT crews would swap crews that would overnight on board to get a days rest up. Cutter crewmembers would often take up a USN crew spot on the boat.   Was always a plentiful supply line for those life basics even in some crappy neighborhoods.

Edited by MastersMate, 21 October 2019 - 12:27 PM.

#7 phantomfixer

phantomfixer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 155,518
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:00 PM

In one of Ernie Pyle's books, Ernie states that the president of Zippo sent Ernie a case of Zippo lighters..Ernie stated he passed the Zippo's out to troops as he made his rounds...as Zippo lighters were highly sought after by the troops overseas.... 

as far as fuel...I gotta guess they used what was available..regardless of what people use today

#8 gomorgan

gomorgan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75,820
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

I've burnt gasoline in mine in the day and my father in law was a WWII B-24 crew Chief and he used av gasoline in his zippo during the war.

#9 Bodes

Bodes
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,180
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:01 PM

In one of Ernie Pyle's books, Ernie states that the president of Zippo sent Ernie a case of Zippo lighters..Ernie stated he passed the Zippo's out to troops as he made his rounds...as Zippo lighters were highly sought after by the troops overseas.... 

Were these the ones with Ernie's name on?......Or were those given out posthumously?....Bodes

#10 phantomfixer

phantomfixer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 155,518
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

Hey  Bodes

After Ernie's death, the president of Zippo sent "In memory of" lighters overseas...according to the net...to the USS Cabot....

I am not sure if the lighters sent to Ernie while Ernie was in Europe, were engraved ...they might have been...now that gives me a good reason to re read his books...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users