Pinback Air Force Officer Cap Badge

seanmc1114

I have the following in a collection of badges my aunt collected. I'm assuming it is an early issue Air Force officer cap badge. However, the interesting thing is that all of the other insignia I have ever found of hers was from World War II or before.

Any opinions on this badge? When did the Air Force begin wearing silver insignia as opposed to gold? From what I remember reading, there was a transition period after the Air Force was created as a separate branch.

Also, if this is a service cap badge, would it be worn over the hole in the front of the cap meant for the screwback type of badge, or were some caps made without the hole?

post-1761-0-53542500-1383686445.jpg

post-1761-0-16401100-1383686454.jpg

I think this particular badge was for a School Marching Band Shako, or maybe not, but as far as we know all mitarly serivce caps had a center grommet.

mB0hpLqfWscAEcPtCscpFyA.jpg

I think this particular badge was for a School Marching Band Shako, or maybe not, but as far as we know all mitarly serivce caps had a center grommet.

mB0hpLqfWscAEcPtCscpFyA.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's an Air Force Cap Badge or Device. I have seen it referred to both ways.

Here is a picture of a current device for comparison.

post-1761-0-29607000-1383688662.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's an Air Force Cap Badge or Device. I have seen it referred to both ways. Here is a picture of a current device for comparison. Although the wings are a little different but I figure that is a difference in manufacturers.

I would guess sweetheart as well. What is the size?

As best as I can tell, it is the same size as a standard screw back AF officer cap badge. I have one somewhere in a box and when I can dig it out, I'll post a picture of the two side by side for comparison.

As best as I can tell, it is the same size as a standard screw back AF officer cap badge. I have one somewhere in a box and when I can dig it out, I'll post a picture of the two side by side for comparison.

Could be a WAF hat badge for a beret?

Last night I was looking thru my books, Dressed for Duty. I saw an example of a pin back cap badge in the section for the WASPS. The pin on the one in the book was vertical not horizontal like this one. I don't believe the one posted in this thread is for a marching band. I believe it is military related.

...Kat

So am I sensing a general consensus here that all male Air Force service caps would have had a center grommet for a screw back badge from the earliest days?

As for the ones I have seen male hat badges have a screw back post, officer & enlisted.The early female ones, for berets, were pin back.

Here is the badge next to a standard screw back cap badge I've had since the early 80's for comparison. The unknown pinback version is slightly smaller.

post-1761-0-11652300-1383918153.jpg

post-1761-0-03294100-1383918165.jpg