Camo Dickie

gijoe1966

Hi All, I got this today at an estate auction - I missed everything else when I took my son home after waiting 2 hours watching them sell hummels and lamps one at a time over and over - the auction guy assured me that it would be hours before they got to any of the military stuff. Of course when I got back 35 minutes later all the military stuff had been sold (cheaply) to mostly one guy. He was nice enough to let me have this dickie as it was interesting to me as it is exactly like the 1966 GI Joe Green Beret's camo dickie (I'm a big 1960s GI Joe collector).

Anyways - anybody have any idea what it is actually and how/where it would have been worn? It looked like most of the stuff was Korean and Vietnam era stuff.

post-48397-1339287549.jpg

post-48397-1339287567.jpg

That is a Vietnam era Army Special Forces bib scarf. The Army wore them with the dress uniforms and sometimes with the fatigues in the late 50s thru the 70s. The scarves would be in the branch color, Green- MP, Powder Blue - Infantry, Red Arty, Orange - Signal etc... Camo was worn by the Special Forces.

The photo below is a of an MP but that shows how the scarves were worn. The bottom photo is Sgt Barry Sadler and you can see his camo scarf.

I hope this helps

Dennis

post-2843-1339289646.jpg

post-2843-1339289713.jpg

I think they were a fashion statement in the late 1960's. I was issued a blue one in Air Force basic training in 1968 and never wore it in four years. I have a red one for Artillery i picked up a few years ago.

Besides Hugh Hefner.....who wears them now?? :rolleyes: Personally.....I think we should bring them back! :lol:

You obviously never had to wear one. They chafed something fierce, especially in warm weather.

• 1 year later...

I used to wear both a camo ascot and an Infantry blue ascot when I was stationed in Berlin in the late 80's. We used them for various VIP events and parades.

Leigh

• 9 months later...

That is a Vietnam era Army Special Forces bib scarf. The Army wore them with the dress uniforms and sometimes with the fatigues in the late 50s thru the 70s. The scarves would be in the branch color, Green- MP, Powder Blue - Infantry, Red Arty, Orange - Signal etc... Camo was worn by the Special Forces.

The photo below is a of an MP but that shows how the scarves were worn. The bottom photo is Sgt Barry Sadler and you can see his camo scarf.

I hope this helps

Dennis

attachicon.gif41258_14...702281_n.jpg

attachicon.gifstaff_sg...sa_11097.jpg

Here's a link to topic on this forum with a more thorough discussion of the bibs:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/166067-insigniabosscarfbib-type/

By the way, the picture of the MP is strange in that it looks like his ribbons are painted on, either the picture itself or they are the plastic type. But did anyone else notice that he appears to have the ribbon for the Distinguished Service Medal which is usually only awarded to general officers and certainly rarely if ever awarded to junior NCO's? Anyone know who this guy is and how he might have earned a DSM?

post-1761-0-24022400-1412082684.jpg