USAF leather ball caps

Sabrejet

Check out this pic. These coloured leather ball-caps rarely show up on the collectors' market...yet my research indicates they were very widely worn back in the 50s > 60s. Where have they all gone? If you've got one...please post it here! Thanks.

post-8022-1321810494.jpg

Well I have never seen one of those in all my years of collecting. But I will say that they are ugly !! Please post one somebody

Well I have never seen one of those in all my years of collecting. But I will say that they are ugly !! Please post one somebody

There have been one or two posted in the past year or so...but no more than that. I recall a red / white one and a pale blue one. Rare birds!

Ian :think:

Not disagreeing with your basic point, post 3 looks more like it is cloth rather than leather. It just does not have that leather shine to it. I am not sure about the ones in post 2... some look leather, and some look cloth.

But getting back to your point, I don't think I have ever seen any of these in person. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen them in a museum either.

I'm not sure what the attraction was in the old days, other than the fact they might have kept the head warmer than a cloth cap. But I tend to think that after a few months of wear they probably turned nasty... sweat, hair oil, etc. That on top of the dirt, oil and fuel from being around aircraft. I'm not trying to be graphic, but unless they were in relatively clean condition, I'm not sure they would be something someone would have kept around. At least a cloth cap you can clean somewhat.

They also would have little use as civilian wear after the airman left the service. Flight jackets on the other hand always looked cool.

But even with that, you'd still think they would pop up more often.

Valid points Gil. Some examples worn were certainly regular cloth ball-caps...for example the ones below appear to be just that (B-36 crew, 1950s)

post-8022-1321815905.jpg

Afraid I cannot shed any light on these. I was in the USAF 1968 to 1972 and a lot of that time was assigned to a combined TAC & SAC base however I never saw any of these leather caps. The ball caps were very popular but all the ones I recall were the usual cloth type.

Larry

Thanks Larry. The latest date on the photo captions is '66. Also most, if not all of them, feature SAC units, so maybe the colour-coded cap thing was SAC practice at the time?

With the colors of those caps I wonder if they aren't naugahyde or vinyl. The first time I saw a photo of the caps I remembered a vinyl cap I wore in the early 1960's, as a kid, it had fold down ear flaps.

Good point...I suppose they could be synthetic which, in pics, has a leather like appearance. One or two examples have been posted in the past by forum members. I'm hoping they'll see this thread and add their pics. That said, leather or vinyl, they're still very scarce out there in collector-land for whatever reason?!

I don't even recall seeing many of these at the National Museum of the USAF when I was there last month. I remember seeing plenty of Vietnam-era party hats though. They've got to be around though... :think: