101st Airborne Jeep and Pack Howitzer

Old Marine

post-2843-1239299615.jpg

This is a 1/35 scale model that I made about 8 years ago, I thought I post it up here where it might be appreciated. The Jeep and Howitzer are both Tamiya kits, and both are made pretty much straight from the box. The real work went in to converting the figures. I had to really chop up the figures and then reposition them to fit in to the jeep properly. I tried to make them look as natural as I could.

The figures are resin figures produced by a French company and now I can't remember or find the name of the company anywhere, but they are very nice, well sculpted figures.

The Vehicle markings, the uniform insignia and the markings on the ammo boxes are all custom made dry transfers. The Cammo net was crocheted by my wife she used the finest needle she had and used heavy weight OD thread from a huge 1943 spool of cotton OD thread that I had lying in the pile. The net garnish is fine weave gauze that I just painted with model paint and then woven in to the net after I glued it in place.

As always I look forward to your comments and observations. I have a lot more photos coming.

Dennis

That would look really nice on my desk..... I do except donations.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind........

Excellent work. All of the details you have added really make a huge difference. Did you custom make the ammo boxes as well? Thanks for sharing...Kat

Excellent work. All of the details you have added really make a huge difference. Did you custom make the ammo boxes as well? Thanks for sharing...Kat

Kat,

Thanks for the comments, the boxes are from one of the many aftermarket resin accessory set, Verlinden or something like that, there are so many that I can't really remember.

You gotta tell me where that Pack Howie came from... I havent seen anything like that from Tamiya... New Kit?

Wayne

Great job! I really like the way you captured an "action" moment instead of a bunch of guys just bouncing along. Makes the viewer wonder "what are the figures looking at?" The colors are spot-on correct, too; even the scrim on the helmets is accurate!

One question, though. I don't think the 101st ABN had their own vehicles. They were usually provided transportation by another group.

Johan Willaert
One question, though. I don't think the 101st ABN had their own vehicles. They were usually provided transportation by another group.

The 101AB had hundreds of vehicles, but in PIR units they belonged to Bn & Regtl echelons.

All of the E-506 marked vehicles you see nowadays are historically incorrect!

Nice model though!

The 75mm PACK from Timaya used to be a 1/35 Metal Model Kit. Is this that one?

Thanks for all the nice comments. I have more models, it will just take me awhile to get them photographed and posted, I'll keep posting them, as long as you guys like looking at them.

You gotta tell me where that Pack Howie came from... I havent seen anything like that from Tamiya... New Kit?

Wayne and Johan,

That Howitzer is in fact a resin knock off of the old, old Tamiya white metal kit. I bought a couple of these resin kits years ago at a model show. I was pretty surprised to find them too, I had never seen a 1/35 scale pack howitzer before either, so I bought a couple of them. As soon at I saw the pack howitzers on the table I knew I was going to do an Airborne Artillery model and a Diorama of the Marines using the 75 on Bouganville. If your interested I can go look through the kit box this weekend and see if I have left.

Thanks

Dennis

Thanks for all the nice comments. I have more models, it will just take me awhile to get them photographed and posted, I'll keep posting them, as long as you guys like looking at them.

Dennis

Please do! You do excellent work!

Mark

• 1 month later...
Brian Dentino

Yes, yes.....please keep em coming. I love the USMC pac. in action and the custom diorama you have it set in. You do outstanding work! :love:

• 1 month later...

They have seem to notice something and by the look of the drivers face it may be big and coming toward them!

Nice movement of the bodies. Really shows tension."Hey wait, whats that?". Painting is smooth and rich too. Nice diorama.

Not to much. Just right!

Thanks

Paul

• 5 weeks later...