CPT JOHN E. FREED, M.D.

BEAST

This is one of my most complete WWI groups and came from the family. The condition of the uniforms are fair to poor, as moths and mildew got ahold of it before I did. Overall, it still displays nicely.

CPT JOHN E. FREED, M.D.

post-203-1238552501.jpg

"John E. Freed, M. D., who has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession at Terre Haute ever since 1914 with the exception of the period of the World war, when he served in the United States Army, was born in Clay City, Indiana March 16. 1888, the son of Dempsy and Elizabeth (Miller) Freed. When he was two and one-half years old, he came to Terre Haute with his parents, who have lived here since that time, the father being a well-known contractor and builder of this city. Mr. and Mrs. Dempsy Freed are the parents of two children, Dr. John E. Freed, and Halley, the wife of Mr. Frank Kiefner, of Terre Haute. Dr. Freed was educated in the public schools of Terre Haute, and after his graduation from the high school here attended the University of Chicago for two years. He then went to the Medical Department of Northwestern University, also at Chicago, and was graduated there from in 1912 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He served as interne in the Hackley Hospital at Muskegon, Mich., and began the practice of his profession in Bridgeton, Ind. In 1914, he came to Terre Haute, and here followed his profession until 1918. In that year he entered the United States Army for service in the World war, and was on active duty with Base Hospital No. 78 at Toul, France, where he was located at the close of the war. His period of service covered nine months in the United States and nine months in France, and after being honorably discharged, he returned to Terre Haute to resume practice. Dr. Freed is a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon college fraternity, the Alpha Kappa Kappa medical fraternity, and belongs to such professional societies as the Vigo County, Indiana and American Medical Associations. Dr. Freed married on July 28, 1919, Margaret Gillespie, a native of Canada, and who was a nurse at Base Hospital No. 51 at Toul, France, where Doctor Freed was stationed. To this union one child has been born, John E. Freed, Jr., born October 17, 1920."

Both of the uniforms that I have from Dr. Freed are from U.S. tailors. Here is one uniforms set up as his walking out uniform. All items shown came with the group. Note the bullion 78th Division SSI and bullion rank.

post-203-1238552822.jpg

post-203-1238552829.jpg

post-203-1238552649.jpg

This uniform is set up for the trenches. However, if you will notice, this uniform has the HD chevron and would have been more likely the one he wore home.

The French gas mask came with this group and has not been messed with. The strap is still tied in the length that I received it. Either he wore this mask in the same position as a US mask, which seem inconvienent or he would have worn it loosely under his arm. The third alternative is that his son played with it after the war and adjusted the strap to fit him!

Also note that he wears a M1912 swivel holster. The holster is from the Rock Island Arsenal and dated 1915. Once again, all as I received it from the family.

post-203-1238553154.jpg

post-203-1238553411.jpg

Both of the uniforms that I have from Dr. Freed are from U.S. tailors. Here is one uniforms set up as his walking out uniform. All items shown came with the group. Note the bullion 78th Division SSI and bullion rank.

post-203-1238552822.jpg

post-203-1238552829.jpg

post-203-1238552649.jpg

Very nice

Erick, this is absolutely an incredibly awesome medical uniform grouping! And then photographs to go along with it! :blink: It's in the right hands. thumbsup.gif

Very cool. My last name is Freed and there are two "groups" of us Freeds: one is Jewish, usually from eastern Europe (my family is one); the other is Scandinavian, usually from Sweden. We have a Facebook page, "Freed-It's not just a verb."

Thanks on behalf of both camps of Freeds!

Capa

Thanks to everyone for their kind words! I enjoyed bringing it out for everyone to see.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my theories for the French gas mask?

IF he did indeed use this mask instead of a US mask, do you think that he would have worn it in the configuration that I show? To me this looks cumbersome, but the strap is too short to have worn it across the chest and appears that it would again be uncomfortable to wear it high up under the arm. Once again, my hypothesis is that he wore this mask and that the strap was not later shortened for his son. Opinions? Conjectures? SWAGs?

Very nice group! That style of French gasmask is a bit of an oddity with AEF groups, but lots of French epuipment was used by our troops. Many medical guys preferred to carry the French M2 style mask in the pouch since it was light weight and not as bulky as the respirator mask. The other unusually item in your group is the holster. Any photos of showing him in France carrying a .45? That would be very cool!

Mark

Belleauwood

Very nice group indeed! - My guess is that the French Gas Mask is most likely a bring back and not used by Freed. No one will ever know, but that's what keeps the interest. At any rate, you need to write to his medical school and college to pull more info. Could be interesting!

Best, Dennis

Mark,

Your right about the .45 holster being unusual with a medical group. Unfortunetly, the family did not have any more photos of CPT Freed in uniform. Another thought on the mask is that it could have been brought home by the wife. I have the gas mask she wore "over there" and just assumed that this was something that the doctor brought home.

Dennis,

I can't believe that I didn't think to contact his university! I have had this group for several years and the thought never occured to me. I have a copy of his service record and the info from the Indiana history that I have shown here and I just kind of stopped looking. I'll contact them and see what they may have on him.