is this a real army item? EX-48-1 jacket liner?

korea drab

I know Craig. I read what the seller posted but to what kind of jacket or parka belongs that? M-1948? field jacket? The M-1948 parka liner had an integral hood.This not. The auction says parka but on the tag is hand writen jacket. Is any picture of the outer shell that liner belongs?

I think you are the one who knows it.

Thanks

I know Craig. I read what the seller posted but to what kind of jacket or parka belongs that? M-1948? field jacket? The M-1948 parka liner had an integral hood.This not. The auction says parka but on the tag is hand writen jacket. Is any picture of the outer shell that liner belongs?

I think you are the one who knows it.

Thanks

Remember: this is an experimental item and they often contain design elements not present in the production versions. Field jackets seem to have gone through a lot of experiments between WWII and Korea and we had such things at the 1948 MQ1 field jacket based on the M43 field jacket: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=6997

craig_pickrall

No telling what garment it is intended to fit. There is one major feature that is unusual about the liner. It has the bottons attached which means the garmet it fits has the button holes. This is the reverse of every garment I can recall from that time period.

As for a hood I can't recall any liner that has a hood attached. They are always either made to the shell or made to button to the shell.

That liner is short. It could mean it is made for a jacket rather than a parka or it could be that it was intended to fall at the waist of the man wearing it so that it does not overlap the trousers.

It would not surprise me to learn there was another version of the field jacket (maybe MQ2) that this liner fits. They went with the MQ1 version because they could easily convert the M43 FJ to that configuration.

As for a hood I can't recall any liner that has a hood attached. They are always either made to the shell or made to button to the shell.

Craig i think that the M-1948 parka has hood integrated with the liner.The fur is sewn into the shell.Here two pictures of that liner.(maybe i am confused here)

This was changed with the M-1951 parka,where the shell has no fur,the liner has no hood.The hood is atached to the shell (and has the fur )as the liner to both.Making it a nigthmare to fit properly.

post-1820-1208804179.jpg

post-1820-1208804207.jpg

My M-1947 parka has also the liner with hood.Its easy and fast to remove/fit.

As you said it looks like a jacket liner.Yes the button into the jacket looks interesting.

Who was in charge of determing wich prototype would go into production?

And is it posible to find any reference on the QM2 jacket? I like this era of uniforms a lot.I know they are not looked after like other eras (ww2).

Thanks for all your great relpies.

craig_pickrall

The QMG was responsible for what was put into production.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as MQ2. I threw that out as a possibility. Usually with experimental gear the various designs are numbered in series. I'm guessing the MQ1 was one of these numbers so it stands to reason there are more in the series.

• 5 months later...

In Marine gazette of march 1951, I found 2 pages with USMC winter uniforms. We can see one jacket like M1948 parka (but with removing hood !! EX-48 jacket ?) and a classic M1948 parka with fur hood.

LOLUSMC

post-1723-1224521633.jpg

post-1723-1224521644.jpg