ERDL Invisible camo style pattern uniform

Bushmaster

I am trying to find out when this uniform was made.

I would guess in the 60s or 70s.

Some say they have seen similar patterned garments showing up in the early 80s, as mentioned in another thread here.

However, nobody has had any information about the manufacturer or been able to confirm the time of the production run.

post-13801-1296520159.jpg

Pretty sure that isn't military based off the tag?

I have already stated these are hunting clothes in the title of the thread.

This means the garments have been made for the commercial market.

I have already stated these are hunting clothes in the title of the thread.

This means the garments have been made for the commercial market.

Also means this post is in violation of forum rules?

Hettrick Mfg used to advertise a lot in the 60's and into the 70's - they called themselves "The World's Largest Manufacturer of Tents" and started in Ohio, then moved to North Carolina. Their "American Field" brand for hunting clothes actually dates back to 1928.

Also means this post is in violation of forum rules?

Discussing this here is fine. We have a lot of collectors who find similar sets at either Goodwill stores or surplus shops and wonder if they were military issue. Sometimes the tags are gone, and the similarity to a military camo pattern gets folks wondering what they are looking at.

Heres the thing.

After looking at this pattern I believe this is the original ERDL pattern from the Govt sold as surplus fabric after pattern was dropped.

I have seen ARVN uniforms dated 65 .

US issue began in 67 with an amended fabric and color way .

owen

Hettrick Mfg used to advertise a lot in the 60's and into the 70's - they called themselves "The World's Largest Manufacturer of Tents" and started in Ohio, then moved to North Carolina. Their "American Field" brand for hunting clothes actually dates back to 1928.

Very interesting.

Heres the thing.

After looking at this pattern I believe this is the original ERDL pattern from the Govt sold as surplus fabric after pattern was dropped.

I have seen ARVN uniforms dated 65 .

US issue began in 67 with an amended fabric and color way .

owen

It is quite similar to the ARVN invisible ERDL camo pattern.

ARVNINVISIBLE1.jpg

I was thinking of contacting Hettrick Mfg and ask them about these garments.

However, I have had no luck finding any contact information so I guess they went out of business some time ago.

I was thinking of contacting Hettrick Mfg and ask them about these garments.

However, I have had no luck finding any contact information so I guess they went out of business some time ago.

Maybe try contacting the Statesville, NC Chamber of Commerce.

They might have information on the company.

Nice to see everyone getting along.

JC

It seems the US GOVT gave all their stock to Vietnam as a typical lend lease move to clothe their army .

Every piece of ARVN I have ever has has been in the heavy OG 107 fabric ...same as US hunting firms used.

Vietnam ....65

To clarify - that's in reference to this piece?

ARVNINVISIBLE1.jpg

American Field Sportswear is also mentioned here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=43261

At some point The Hettrick name no longer appeared on on the American Field Sportswear label and instead of Hettrick of Statesville NC, it was American Field Corp of Pink Hill NC.

amfieldtiger2.jpg

amfieldtiger1.jpg

The ebay listing for this one said "Vietnam Era Private Label TIGER STRIPE CAMO SHIRT. Made by American Field Corp., Pink Hill, NC - tag is faded by readable - see photo. I'm told that early in the war, advisors and Special Forces purchased these non-issue private label shirts. Light-weight fabric, 2 front pockets, original buttons. "

I think that's all speculation, as the American Field brand was still being advertised as a Hettrick product, even as late as 1969, from what I've found so far.

hettrick68.jpg

Google shows lot of Hettrick ads in Boy's Life (through 1970) and Popular Science (through Dec. 1969) and then nothing after that. That may be when the "American Field Corp., Pink Hill, NC" assumed the brand.

Here's a bit of trivia: Aldo L. Tombari, who was the apparent owner of Hettrick in the late 1960's, was an Army captain in WWII and served with the 440TH TCG, 96th Squadron and received a Purple Heart and Air Medal. In 1967 he and the company were basically sued by the feds for false advertising: they apparently put out a catalog which showed retail prices that in reality were never charged. This meant that retailers could all say they offered nice discounts from the catalog prices. It may be this led to a decline in company fortunes and someone else took over the American Field brand.

To clarify - that's in reference to this piece?

ARVNINVISIBLE1.jpg

American Field Sportswear is also mentioned here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=43261

At some point The Hettrick name no longer appeared on on the American Field Sportswear label and instead of Hettrick of Statesville NC, it was American Field Corp of Pink Hill NC.

post-214-1296834372.jpg

post-214-1296834365.jpg

The ebay listing for this one said "Vietnam Era Private Label TIGER STRIPE CAMO SHIRT. Made by American Field Corp., Pink Hill, NC - tag is faded by readable - see photo. I'm told that early in the war, advisors and Special Forces purchased these non-issue private label shirts. Light-weight fabric, 2 front pockets, original buttons. "

I think that's all speculation, as the American Field brand was still being advertised as a Hettrick product, even as late as 1969, from what I've found so far.

post-214-1296834815.jpg

Google shows lot of Hettrick ads in Boy's Life (through 1970) and Popular Science (through Dec. 1969) and then nothing after that. That may be when the "American Field Corp., Pink Hill, NC" assumed the brand.

Here's a bit of trivia: Aldo L. Tombari, who was the apparent owner of Hettrick in the late 1960's, was an Army captain in WWII and served with the 440TH TCG, 96th Squadron and received a Purple Heart and Air Medal. In 1967 he and the company were basically sued by the feds for false advertising: they apparently put out a catalog which showed retail prices that in reality were never charged. This meant that retailers could all say they offered nice discounts from the catalog prices. It may be this led to a decline in company fortunes and someone else took over the American Field brand.

First of all, let me say - amazing work!

The thread you are refering to is the thread I mention in my initial post.

In that post there is no confirmation as to when these garments were manufactured.

This dropped US designed experimental ERDL camo pattern was used by the ARVN.

As it is stated on the RVNHS website:

"Labeled "Invisible pattern" by collectors, this variation of ARVN ERDL was most commonly worn by Rangers in the early-mid 1960s."

I do not think it was used before 1965.

This is why:

The US government gave stock to the SVN government and sold some as surplus fabric after the pattern was dropped (as mentioned by kammo-man).

This was probably when American Field Sportswear started to make this hunting uniform for the civilian market.

As the earliest ARVN invisible ERDL pattern uniform I have seen has been dated 1965 (same as kammo-man's observations), I believe this is the year when the pattern was first used on a larger scale.