Back cut Milpar Colt

Williamb

According to Cole's Book III the MIL-PAR M7 should have a 90 degree backcut (or close to it). The Imperial M7 (which I have) has a backcut that looks like yours. However, that doesn't necessarily mean yours is wrong, as I understand that the specifications changed to allow the shallow backcut; I just don't know when.

I also have an Imperial Colt and the backcut looks like the Milpar one; however, as you noted the Cole book shows the 90 degree one. Is the one in the picture also correct?

William Humes is probably the foremost M7 bayonet authority in the country. His website shows many M7 variations. The Milpar/Colt M7 shown above looks exactly right. There is a lot of talk about back cuts and USGI regulations. In this case, the military evidently did not provide exacting specifications for these early M7s. Colt simply supplied the M7s along with the rifles. That's why the sloped backcut was accepted.

Here is Bill's website: http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/humes_m7_03.htm Hope you enjoy it.

Marv

I learn something new every day on this forum, as I have with this post. So----I'm going to poach on this thread for some info on my M7. It's a Carl Eickhorn half crossguard with the Colt's logo, etc. on the blade. US M7 stamped on the crossguard. Came with a M8A1 scabbard marked WP. The parkerized finish sparkles. When I purchased it around 15 years ago at a gun show here in Dallas, it was in the original wrapper (long discarded). The seller had a box full of them. What do I have here? Any and all help much appreciated. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas. :think:

post-12790-1294151101.jpg

post-12790-1294151116.jpg

I am pretty new but have been all over the net looking at different examples and reading post.

I read that Milpar had lost the contract or even went out of business before the back cut changes were made.

Which all of their surplus parts were sold and assembled commercially.

I have seen some examples of Milpars (possible quote commercial blades out there) with a different back cuts on them but not colt marked.

Below is a link showing a different view of the Milpar/colt, standard Milpar, and Imperial colt.

In my opinion it looks like a imperial blade with a Milpar guard, and almost looks like the gray finish as been touched up were pinned over on the end.

However all info seems to be mostly opinion.

The strange thing on Humes site the first, second, and fifth photo show a 90 deg cut, but the slot in the handle is a distinct difference.

Also the steel in a original Milpar seems a different grade - note more pitting in the steel and I know holding the two examples the Milpar seems thicker and not as nicely ground as the imperial.

http://imageevent.com/willyp/firearmsalbum...yitems/bayonets

The half guard M7 with colt markings is most likely a put together bayonet that Eickhorn assembled for the commercial market.

Originally, the half guard M7 was made without any blade markings. It fit the German G3 (I think). It was mounted "up-side-down" on the barrel, so the guard had to be cut down to be able to see the sights on the rifle.

The colt marked blade that was used is from an Eickhorn/Colt contract from the 70s, made for the German Army. The blade says, Made in W. Germany. So, the two parts were put together to make a nice little collector's item.

Marv

I have seen several photos of the half guard colt maked imperial in different collections and closed listings.

I would say it is deffiently a Imperial made bayonet (for the commerical market)as the site listed above also even shows that exact model.

However this model is one I have not been able to pin down for purchase.