U.S. 7th Infantry Regiment Helmet Markings 1944

Saskatoon Light Infantry

Saskatoon Light Infantry

The U.S. 7th Infantry Regiment (3rd Infantry Division) hand painted onto the rear of their helmets card suites to identify them as said battalion for the Southern France Invasion of August 15th 1944.

First Battalion, U.S. 7th Infantry Regiment: Spades

Second Battalion, U.S. 7th Infantry Regiment: Hearts

Third Battalion, U.S. 7th Infantry Regiment: Clubs

Have many of these 7th Infantry Regiment helmets survived?

Does anyone have photographs showing these helmets with Battalion markings being worn?

Are these helmets being faked?

Heres a pic, i know there are more photos out there and ive seen a few surviving helmets too, very cool impressive helmets!!.....wish i had one or two!!....mike

post-350-1293323862.jpg

Here is one of my collection with a " Rare " Diamond on the back , its still a questionmark...

DSC_0260-2.jpg

IMG_9067.jpg

Found in the Vosges area ( France )

This is a 7th Infantry helmet. The owner was quite famous. His name was Burton Roberts and he was a famous Judge in New york. He just passed about a month ago and his obit was in the NY Times. In fact he is the tough judge in Tim Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities. Roberts was in the I&R platoon and Headquarters company. He won 2 Bronze Stars including one on October 7th near Vagney, France. He was in action where Medal of Honor winner Lt James Harris of the 756 Tank Battalion ( which was attached to the 3rd ID) was mortally wounded trying to battalion command post from a German Panzer attack. Roberts fought the entire was in this helmet from Oran in North Africa to Anzio to Operation Torch to Voges to Austria. He was a real hero and I am proud to display his helmet. I videotaped him singing the 3rd division song this year before he died.

Maxl9

post-4719-1293394406.jpg

Here is mine.From the vet.Marking unknown.According to his dischargehe was awrded his CIB from the HQ 30th Infantry.Wonder if this is a Company marking of the 30th Inf??

post-342-1293399622.jpg

post-342-1293399576.jpg

Saskatoon Light Infantry, yes, these helmets are being faked. I include photos of an easy-green helmet that was a subject of discussion on the USMF a couple of years ago. As always, Buyer Beware! regards, pat

post-3673-1293515693.jpgpost-3673-1293515708.jpg

Here is one of my collection with a " Rare " Diamond on the back , its still a questionmark...

I have an other like yours, it seems that the diamond would be from the HQ company?

• 3 years later...

I posted a photo on the advanced helmet forum showing these markings in use in Italy, the photo was taken just after the breakout from Anzio.

Rich

Here's a picture taken in 2011 visiting a friend and thus reuniting two helmets from the liberation of Besancon, France.

dsc09010.jpg

Man ive always loved these helmets and can look at them all day long!......mike

Me too!!

• 8 months later...

A quick question about one of the above helmets. What outfit is represented by the diamond, I have seen this helmet before but I have yet to see any helmet like it. Does anyone have any photos of this dimond pattern being used by the 7th IR

I came across a photo of 3rd Division troops wearing the Diamond in Italy. The original caption said this was taken during the breakout from the Anzio beachead. It was suggested that this may be a censors mark however in the original shot you see other troops to this guys left wearing the same marking.

Rich

post-1878-0-15032300-1423510860.jpg

• 11 months later...