WWII USMC Stiletto snapshots

GMPETE

Hello all-

I have these original snapshots of 4th Division marines clowning around with stilettos and thought they might be of interest.

They were taken at Camp Pendleton in '43 not long before the division sailed for the Marshalls.

Two of the knives appear to be a Camillus USMCs, and the other an 'Arkansas Toothpick'.

post-20738-1292897220.jpg

post-20738-1292897227.jpg

post-20738-1292897233.jpg

Charlie Flick

GMPete:

Those are indeed neat photos. Period photos of the USMC Stiletto in use are pretty scarce. Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Charlie

Another option for the knife on the right is a USMC Raider Stiletto.

These knives were made for the Marine Raider divisions inspired by the British Special Forces Fairbairn-Sykes Daggers.

Now that is OUTSTANDING Forum Support!

Jack's Son-

When I called it a Camillus USMC I meant the Sykes-Fairbairn type stiletto like the one Bill showed in post #18 of my WESTERN topic. I may be calling it the wrong thing? In any event, I have the original photos, and have looked pretty close with a magnifying glass and would say that one looks pretty close to what Bill pictured (sheath nowhere in evidence.)

Now that is OUTSTANDING Forum Support!

Jack's Son-

When I called it a Camillus USMC I meant the Sykes-Fairbairn type stiletto like the one Bill showed in post #18 of my WESTERN topic. looks pretty close to what Bill pictured (sheath nowhere in evidence.)

post-8213-1292901504.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Oustanding photos gentlemen!

GB, that's a particularly interesting pic. What I noticed first, was his camos. But what type are they? (not to go too off-topic) they look almost like P44s but I can see no chest pockets? (I did attempt to magnify the picture, with little success) And secondly, what is the machete this gung-ho Marine is wielding? I thought it might be a Collins (not a USN MKII though) by the curved handle at the bottom, but I'm probably wrong!

Corpsmancollector,

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I've sent you a high resolution version of the picture; so, that you can blow it up and check out the details of the cammies. The machete is the rare USMC-issue Collins 191, which has been covered elsewhere on "Edged Weapons." Attached are pictures of the one in my collection.

post-70-1292929734.jpg

post-70-1292929756.jpg

Corpsmancollector,

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I've sent you a high resolution version of the picture; so, that you can blow it up and check out the details of the cammies. The machete is the rare USMC-issue Collins 191, which has been covered elsewhere on "Edged Weapons."

Here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=19548