VMF 235 poodle skirt patch

Bob Hudson

This is an unusual piece for sure. Based on the estate it came from and the squadron I know it dates from late 1966-1967 when VMF 235 was at MCAS Iwakuni, Japan. It belonged to a Navy nurse and is a basic black felt skirt in the style of 1950's "poodle skirts" except this one has a 5 inch high VMF 235 patch plus the white stars on red streamer that adorned the tail of VMF 235 aircraft.

Now for you kids who don't know what a poodle skirt is, here's an example of the classic version:

poodleskirt.jpg

And here's the militarized version:

daskirt0.jpg

daskirt4.jpg

daskirt1.jpg

I assume the patch is Japanese-made:

daskirt5.jpg

definately a cool skirt. Much better then a basic poodle skirt

Does that look like a Japanese-made patch?

She must have been the belle of the ball at the MCAS Iwakuni 1967 Sock Hop :)

They gave her a pilot's cap when she left the base late that year and between the skirt and cap, she acquired some cool souvenirs:

uniform_cap7.jpg

It appears that the ladies had their party skirts,and the guys their party suits! :) Any pics of her?

She became a Navy nurse in 1944 and the only photo I found was taken when she was nearing 80 so it's hard to imagine her jitterbugging in that skirt.

Johnny Signor

Great and Unusual find, those WW-2 women and men were the best, "The Greatest Generation" to say the least !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

She became a nurse in 1944??And was still serving in 1967??Amazing :blink:

Medical personnel often remain in the service for long periods of time.

Medical personnel often remain in the service for long periods of time.

That's only 23 years, almost nothing in the grand scheam of things. When I went in in'73, there were still WW 2 enlisted on active duty. Worked with a couple of them, taught me a whole lot.

Steve Hesson

Patchcollector
I found this online: it's her plaque at the Mount Soledad Memorial in San Diego:

post-214-1291949795.jpg

What an awesome lady!I wonder why she did'nt get ribbons and medals for the other wars that she served in?

What an awesome lady!I wonder why she did'nt get ribbons and medals for the other wars that she served in?

Just speculating, but it seems like few Navy nurses would have been in "the defined combat zone" during the Vietnam War or in-country during the Korean War, thus not being eligible for service medals from those wars.