Question regarding Bronze Star.

horsa

I was reading a biography of Ernest Hemingway and saw that he was awarded a Bronze Star in 1947, even though he was not in the Armed Forces during WW2. I do know that he did some heroic things during the Normandy campaign, but I thought the Bronze Star could only be awarded to members of the armed forces.

On researching this, I saw where Joe Galloway, the reporter of Ia Drang fame, was also awarded a Bronze Star during Vietnam.

I'm curious about the rules for this decoration, and if they've been applied differently in years past.

BigJohn#3RD

Until very recently, civilians assigned to the military organizations where eligible for most of the combat decorations including the Purple Heart, Silver Star, Service Crosses.

Regards

John

Until very recently, civilians assigned to the military organizations where eligible for most of the combat decorations including the Purple Heart, Silver Star, Service Crosses.

Regards

John

Thank you John, I did not know that. I thought the Regs had always been that only military were eligible.

BigJohn#3RD
Thank you John, I did not know that. I thought the Regs had always been that only military were eligible.

There where quite a few civilians awarded DSC,s in WWI and WWII as well as Purple Hearts.

Regards

John

US decorations were awarded to several French & Belgian civilians after WW2. These people were involved in the underground resistance at great personal risk. In particular, they were hiding downed US aviators, and channeling them over to safety in Spain. Chuck Yeager was one such fortunate downed pilot, who made it to Spain after being shot down over France.

Thank you all for the education. I did some more reading and found that on August 7th, 1942, the American Congress decided that the “Silver Star” also could be given to civilians.

I always thought that bronze and silver stars could only be awarded to the Military.

dogfacedsoldier

Hello,

I knew a guy in KY his dad was a Red Cross worked assigned to the Ist Ranger Battalion he was awarded a CIB, Bronze Star with a "V" device, Purple Heart, campaign medals, and the Presidental Medal of Freedom. I saw the whole group, including letters, Darby autograph, etc. The medals were all named, I don't know where he served after the Rangers were broken up. I saw this rouping a long time ago, but I have never forgotten it. All of the patches were Italian made.

Jon