WWII OSS Escape Pocket Knife

gunbarrel

If you are a military knife nut and you missed the thrill of this knife being auction on eBay, you really missed something. I knew it would go high, but I never imagined that it would hit the stratosphere! These knives were made by Joseph Rodgers & Sons in Sheffield, England, for the Office of Strategic Services. The final price was an amazing $2,025 for this piece. Here are pictures of it for future reference; of course, you can also see it at MilRef-216; SilWW2-151; SilPock-77,78; Cole III-158 and BestCole-219-221.

post-70-1275559397.jpg

post-70-1275559408.jpg

post-70-1275559420.jpg

post-70-1275559432.jpg

Tony-in-NH
post-70-1275559733.jpg

post-70-1275559742.jpg

I was watching that one also. I knew it would be through the roof. You just do not see those.

porterkids

Not only do you not see these knives for sale often, this particular knife is not even in any of the references I have. Cole Vol III shows five different variations (No. 1 through 5) but this piece, clearly marked No. 6, is not shown. Quite possibly a prototype or limited production piece.

Not only do you not see these knives for sale often, this particular knife is not even in any of the references I have. Cole Vol III shows five different variations (No. 1 through 5) but this piece, clearly marked No. 6, is not shown. Quite possibly a prototype or limited production piece.

Being unfamiliar with these pocket knives I wonder if it is evident from the photos whether this variant (#6) has some feature(s) lacking from variants #1 - 5.

Tim

The "Escape" Knife that I believe is associated with SOE and OSS during WW2 was developed by MI9 and illustrated below. The WW2 examples were un-marked and not manufactured by Joseph Rodgers. I do not have the reference books mentioned earlier and would be keen to know what is stated about the time-frame and use of the Rodgers pattern. Regards, Clive.

post-1567-1275579899.jpg

This is one of the reasons I am interested to know what is mentioned in the references quoted. My opinion is that the Rodgers Knife was in existence prior to the WW2 pattern I have posted. The Rodgers knife pattern goes back to Victorian times, though not with the saw blades. I certainly would like to know when this was added to their range. You will note that the WW2 SOE-OSS Knife has the addition of a screwdriver head and a lock-breaker, though some say the latter is merely a tin opener, but I think it is as stated. Also it is in a blackened non-reflective finish. Regards, Clive.

So the Rodgers/eBay knife is a takeoff/copy of an SOE knife or vice versa?

bayonetman

Seebee1, all the references are basically about the SOE-OSS issue version, and agree that the issue knife is unmarked and black. The one sold is possibly a commercial version, although some may say that it is an early one that was made for test or prototype.

One source suggests that the knife of this style was indeed a WW2 development from the earlier style (Rd 354051 patent of 1900). http://www.multi-tool.org/joseph-rodger---sons

(For those interested, an early version is shown below):

img0626kh8.jpg

An excellent link Gary, thank you for posting it. If you click on the "Escape Knife" mentioned on the website you will find the pattern that I illustrated. Although the Rodgers Knife is certainly interesting, I would never have sold this, were it mine, nor would I have bought it either, as being the pattern issued to SOE-OSS during WW2. Regards, Clive.

Seebee1, all the references are basically about the SOE-OSS issue version, and agree that the issue knife is unmarked and black. The one sold is possibly a commercial version, although some may say that it is an early one that was made for test or prototype.

One source suggests that the knife of this style was indeed a WW2 development from the earlier style (Rd 354051 patent of 1900). http://www.multi-tool.org/joseph-rodger---sons

(For those interested, an early version is shown below):

img0626kh8.jpg

Bill,

I thought the same thing and then I ran across this other totally different knife from the same manufacturer with the same markings... :dunno:

post-70-1275880091.jpg